Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times

Advertisements

How did you come up with the time? Did you put a counter on the boiler/burner?

I've often thought of doing so, for no reason just to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
One of the best investments you can make to keep your home efficiently heated is to replace the old mercury thermostats with the modern programmable digital ones of today. I just replaced two old thermostats in my house and I noticed the difference right away. My old thermostats were just so inaccurate that my house was never comfortably warm.

I have an older house with steam heat. I used to set my thermostat to 74 degrees when I got home and set it to 67 when I left. At 74 degrees it would get stifling hot at first and the boiler wouldn't run for a few hours. It would end up getting cold and by that time the boiler would have to work hard to reheat the water to make steam.

After I replaced my thermostats I noticed that when I set my house to 73-74 degrees it would stay at that temperature throughout the day. It was comfortable and my boiler would go on every 20-30 minutes or so just to maintain the heat. On top of that I like how you can program the temp of the house. I hated it when I used to forget to lower the thermostat to 65-67 when I left the house, which was a big waste of money.

I just converted to gas so I won't be able to tell how much I'm saving until I get my next bill. But I do know that once I switched out thermostats my house is being heated a lot more efficiently.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM

176 posts, read 406,385 times
,mp;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;/f

I've said it a million times: Wood stove with your own wood is the way to go. Even with a wife and kid at home most days we use less than 300 gals of oil for heat and hot water in a calendar year and I've yet to pay a dollar for wood. You can't beat it, and the combined time forwood splitting is just a few full days, though I spread it out a few hours at a time after work in April/May.

I estimate we save about 800 gals of fuel at say 3.50/gallon. Self reliance pays!
PS: The is always 70+ during the day...about 63/64 when I wake up in the AM.

7v
]&hc

Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
How did you come up with the time? Did you put a counter on the boiler/burner?

I've often thought of doing so, for no reason just to do so.
We use a thermostat made by NEST labs.
https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

It collects and aggregates information about your heating/cooling usage based on location, weather, home type, heating type, etc.

Pretty smart piece of tech.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Just realized that my heat temp is not 74, but 72. Probably still high to all of you.

Here's a screen shot of my Nest usage history, just to give you an idea of what it does.

http://i.imgur.com/auxFHnv.jpg

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

It collects and aggregates information about your heating/cooling usage based on location, weather, home type, heating type, etc.

My brother has a Nest. Awesome. A bit pricey for me with three zones )

Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

As cool as all those features are I cannot justify paying $250 + tax for a thermostat. If you have many zones then you need one for each zone.

I got this one from homedepot a few weeks ago for $38. You can get it on eBay for $20 and up.
Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat with Backlight-RTH6350D at The Home Depot
It works fine but without all the bells and whistles of the Nest.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
74 is a bit warm for us. We keep ours between 68 and 70 degrees all day home or not. We have gas. I will say this though we need new windows because there is a draft coming from 2 of them in the living room. I don't like feeling too hot at night when I sleep.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Give it a year or 2 and those T-stats will be $100.

And I think you can get one of those thermostats for multiple zones. You place the nest on your main zone and place temperature sensors where your other t-stats used to be. Then tie it all into a logic board. Then from there it will run your pump, boiler, etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Although slightly off topic, why is it people who don't pay the utility bills want the house cooled to 68 degrees in the Summer but heated to 72 degrees in the Winter? I argue with my wife about this year-round and don't understand why if 72 degrees is comfortable in the Winter it's not also comfortable in the Summer. I mean, a ton of feathers weighs as much as a ton of bricks, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island