Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

^^ Its all about humidity when it comes to "comfortable temps".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Although slightly off topic, why is it people who don't pay the utility bills want the house cooled to 68 degrees in the Summer but heated to 72 degrees in the Winter? I argue with my wife about this year-round and don't understand why if 72 degrees is comfortable in the Winter it's not also comfortable in the Summer. I mean, a ton of feathers weighs as much as a ton of bricks, right?
The humidity is much less in the winter, so you feel cooler than the higher humidity summers. In fact an air conditioner does more to remove humidity than heat. That's why ceiling fans (or any fan) are good, the airflow over your body doesn't cool the air, but draw away body humidity (sort of simplified)

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Although slightly off topic, why is it people who don't pay the utility bills want the house cooled to 68 degrees in the Summer but heated to 72 degrees in the Winter? I argue with my wife about this year-round and don't understand why if 72 degrees is comfortable in the Winter it's not also comfortable in the Summer. I mean, a ton of feathers weighs as much as a ton of bricks, right?
I've seen this question often posed in a "duh" kind of way.

Drafts, and the sun beaming in through windows. Temperature and "feels like" are 2 different things for a meteorologist report isn't it?

In our old drafty Levitt house we had the thermostat up at 72 and it would constantly run and we'd still feel cold. We are much more comfortable now at 68 in the middle of winter in a different house.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 4,801 times
Default Nest usage

I hope it's not too late to jump in on this thread. I too have a Nest thermostat (love it), and I was also wondering how much heat usage others are experiencing. I don't know how my house compares to others, or if there is a need to make it more efficient.

Here's my house info: Philadelphia, PA, 1650 sf. 3 BR ranch with oil-fired forced air heat. When I bought the house in 2012, it needed a ton of work. I had every wall replaced with new drywall, and R-15 insulation put in the exterior walls. The attic and crawl space were also insulated to R-30. The ductwork was replaced and insulated to increase airflow. I had the hardwood floors redone to seal everything up. Six of the 9 windows were replaced, including a large sliding patio door. I would say the house is now mostly air-tight.

I keep the house at 67* when home, 64 when away, and down to 63 at night. Last winter when the average temp was 29* or colder, the heat was on for 223 hours in January and 190 in February. This was before some of the above work was done. I was burning through 150 gallons of oil a month! Last month, after all the work was done, it was on for 119 hours. The average daily temp here was roughly 41*.

For those of you with a similar home and in similar environments, how does your heat usage compare to this? Thanks for your input.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
For what it’s worth, here’s my usage compared to last year
Dec 2013/2014: 143hrs/117hrs
Jan 2014/2015: 187hrs/TBD
Haven’t done much to improve insulation or efficiency. Did we have a milder December than last season?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
For what it’s worth, here’s my usage compared to last year
Dec 2013/2014: 143hrs/117hrs
Jan 2014/2015: 187hrs/TBD
Haven’t done much to improve insulation or efficiency. Did we have a milder December than last season?
I believe we did as my Dec 14 gas bill showed fewer therms than Dec 13.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 AM

We have had a warmer December this year compared to last year.

ATphilly....your 5 gallons of oil a day seems excessive. Do you know the size of nozzle on the burner? Did you look and see what insulation you have in the attic? That is the real culprit of heat loss.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Kayo, thanks for the numbers- that's helpful. Mine appears to be running a bit more than yours, but I do have forced air versus radiator. Yes, this past December was milder than last.

Rocafeller, I think 5 gal/day is high too. I don't know the nozzle size, but can check. I've had the nozzle out a couple times to clean it- is it printed on it? I've read that it can vary from .67 gal/hour to 2 gal/hr. Based on my home size (1650 sf), what size should I have?

Yes, insulation was added to the attic last year to bring to R-30 or a bit higher, I can't remember the exact value.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Im running a .68 nozzle on my Riello burner. Did have a .85 but read that burner should be at that size so changed it.

The first thing I would do is make sure your furnace is firing properly. A poor firing burner can waste a lot of oil. Have a good, experienced guy come look it over and analyze the stack temps and smoke amount, etc.

What manufacturer of burner do you have? And what is the BTU rating of furnace?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check my nozzle this weekend. My brother is an HVAC tech, so I'll have him check the system over really well (he lives far away though). Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island