Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 7,951 times

Advertisements

Long time reader, first time post. After years of saving and planning, we are moving onto LI. I will be working at LIJ hospital. We have 4 young children, oldest is going into 2nd grade. We are looking for the best place for us. Here are our priorities:

#1. Excellent public school, not just good (might as well take advantage of the high taxes and having 4 kids, right?)
#2. Close to LIJ hospital (I consider <30min by car as close, 10min would be awesome).
#3. Availability of 4-5 bedroom colonials in a neighborhood setting (as opposed to ranches/splits or on a random street).
#4. Hamlet/Village is mostly young families with good community spirit.
#5. Has a pretty town center with shops/restaurants and available kids activities (dance, taekwondo, swimming).

Budget is up to $6k/mo for rental for first 1-3 years, then buy the house later for $1mil (can stretch to $1.3mil).

No place is ideal obviously, but I'm thinking Syosset-Woodbury area.
But how about GN south (is it too expensive or not a good community feeling?), Munsey Park (is it too snobby/expensive?), Garden city (too close to Hempstead?), Port Washington (big drop in 2013 school ranking, why?), Jericho (no town center a problem?), or Dix Hills (too far?)?
What would you recommend/not recommend for us and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 PM

11,590 posts, read 12,611,894 times
Syosset-Woodbury might get you to LIJ campus entrance under 30 minutes if there is zero traffic and perfect weather; there is no town center

A rental house in Lake Success if you don't mind using Great Neck as your desired town center would be very close to LIJ. If you don't mind the slow traffic along Lakeville/Middle Neck Road, Great Neck would work for you. I never thought there was a "bad" community feel, but it's diverse-Asian, Persian Jewish, Modern Orthodox Jewish, African-American, Israeli, White.

Jericho has no town center and is further from LIJ than Syosset.

Dix Hills is definitely too far to get to LIJ in under 30 minutes.

You might make it to LIJ within 30 min. from Garden City if traffic is not moving slowly on the sidestreets and weather is good. There is a sort-of town center but most people drive from place to place there along Franklin Ave. rather than walk it. But some of it is very walkable. Garden City is also predominantly White/Catholic. It's proximity to Hempstead has had no impact on school quality or property values or dersirability.

Don't know the answer to your question about Port Washington Schools.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udvinnyg View Post
Long time reader, first time post.
Welcome first time poster, although technically you posted in September that you were relocating to Hartford. (You were saving and planning for years to move to LI after a three month stay in Hartford?) It may be hard to find a place that meets all your needs if you move every three months.

The writing style of these new posters looking to move to the NY/LI area is very similar.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
Manhasset IS a great community that will work but you may have to look a bit for that special home given your budget.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
I'd look into Mahasset although your purchase budget is way low. Dix Hills is too far, and no community center. Same with Jericho. You might like Rockville Center too. 1 mil isn't going to go far in most of these towns you mentioned, unfortunately, if you are looking for 4-5 BR. In Garden City you're probably looking at minimum 1.3 mil but who knows what will happen in the next few years. Getting to LIJ from Syosset in 30 minutes - pushing it. Depends how close exactly you live to the parkway.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I think they get the kick out of people replying.
This guy uses the word "hamlet" just like the guy looking for a gay friendly area of Long Island for him and his partner and young children. I can't remember the last time I heard that word used before these two similarly written posts. It's the same guy.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
While I can't say for sure it's the same guy, though it probably is, it was definitely the words hamlet and village that made me think this is a troll. No one, except the late Walter Greenspan, and maybe less than 1% of the LI population would use those words.

Had not thought about him in quite a while.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM

8,805 posts, read 21,224,781 times
From the Terms of Service :

Calling another member a troll is considered a personal attack and is against the Terms of Service which you agreed to when you enrollled in this website. Again, remember that you can not see other people's removed posts , only your own . No one is being singled out at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-14-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 PM

429 posts, read 850,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Had not thought about him in quite a while.
Why does it even matter if it's the same person? If a question is being asked and answers can be provided, who cares?

What about the question is even trolling? Is it the $1.3 mil part that has your panties in a bunch?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Why does it even matter if it's the same person? If a question is being asked and answers can be provided, who cares?

What about the question is even trolling? Is it the $1.3 mil part that has your panties in a bunch?
Since Walter has gone to his eternal reward, I think we can all safely assume that nuts doesn't think it's him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island