Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM

241 posts, read 732,492 times

Advertisements

Why are they so ridiculously high for a "normal house" 17k for a 500k split?. I just find it disproportionate to other areas. Manhasset doesn't have those taxes for the same 500k house. I've seen less taxes for an 800k house in Manhasset compared to EW. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:38 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
East Williston has like no businesses. Most of the shopping there is Williston Park. Is EW a village? There would be village taxes too.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

241 posts, read 732,492 times
It is an inc village.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Not only is there not much of a commercial tax base, it's simply not a very large residential population. Combine that with your typical overpaid village leadership, employees, police....and add the usual behind the scenes kickbacks, patronage, and whatever other corruption you can think up and you get tax insanity.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM

224 posts, read 675,943 times
Proximity to NYC, school quality, and a limited commercial tax base. You can't really compare Manhasset to East Williston--they are very different (Manhasset has everything from malls to low income housing, where as EW is a tiny residential area).

If the commute to Manhattan were shorter via LIRR, and I could afford EW, I would live in EW in a heartbeat.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Figure the formulas-

Public Service - Business Taxes / Homes in Area = Your Property Taxes.

The biggest issues are generally the school districts that have no commercial tax base to pick up, and the rest is left to residents. Wantagh, Plainedge, East Williston, Malverne all have dreadfully high property taxes because of the total lack of business in the zone.

Taxpayers need to remove the Kate Murrays of the world from office and start electing leadership that is PRO business. It -can- be done.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Figure the formulas-

Public Service - Business Taxes / Homes in Area = Your Property Taxes.

The biggest issues are generally the school districts that have no commercial tax base to pick up, and the rest is left to residents. Wantagh, Plainedge, East Williston, Malverne all have dreadfully high property taxes because of the total lack of business in the zone.

Taxpayers need to remove the Kate Murrays of the world from office and start electing leadership that is PRO business. It -can- be done.

When I lived on LI I was not in the TOH so my comment is not based upon politic views. Even if you remove Kate Murray the areas you listed for the most part have no room to build commercial entities in them,( barring knocking down homes and rezoning) so the comment seems rather un necessary.

In addition, in the case of East Williston (TNH) and I believe Malverne, (TOH) both are villages within two different towns and the villages rulings often trump the towns.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

When I lived on LI I was not in the TOH so my comment is not based upon politic views. Even if you remove Kate Murray the areas you listed for the most part have no room to build commercial entities in them,( barring knocking down homes and rezoning) so the comment seems rather un necessary.

In addition, in the case of East Williston (TNH) and I believe Malverne, (TOH) both are villages within two different towns and the villages rulings often trump the towns.
The governments of LI do make for a complicated mess. The village approval process is indeed, just as rough. These entities have guaranteed income despite crippled growth, there's little incentive to do ones job.

These areas have minor undeveloped plots, and plenty of strip malls with less than desirable occupancy.
Any hamlet with a train station has a huge opportunity for residential and commercial growth that has been supported by Mangano. Large scale redevelopments, and find customers for the half vacant office parks.

Frankly, I believe it's already too late- but Long Islanders need to wake up and realize as population declines and costs to retirees continues to increase there will be severe consequences.

In a place like Detroit, the taxes are fixed on property values and thus revenues plummeted. On LI where the governments needs are decided then divvied amongst the taxpayers you will have unimaginably high taxes that will lead to a complete lack of affordability.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 AM

487 posts, read 545,181 times
East Williston has virtually no commercial tax base. Their local shopping towns are Williston Park and Mineola. It is an Incorporated Village with a Village tax, too. It. Is a beautiful community but comes with a price. There is a lovely section of Mineola within the school district of East Williston. The homes are more affordable and even though Mineola is also an incorporated village, it has a very larger commercial tax base, which helps to keep their Village's taxes at a moderate rate.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,734 times
The houses in that section of Mineola/East Williston Schools are very small with almost no yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island