Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 PM

118 posts, read 258,592 times

Advertisements

What's up with the local roads in Nassau? The parking lots at the supermarket and the mall are well cleared, most blacktop is visible. The roads are plowed but still white. What a mess.

There's no excuse, they had plenty of time, it's a weekday, and the snow stopped around 10am.

I saw plenty of plows but few sand/salt trucks. I know it's colder than usual but the parking lots were salted and clear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathSciGirl View Post
What's up with the local roads in Nassau? The parking lots at the supermarket and the mall are well cleared, most blacktop is visible. The roads are plowed but still white. What a mess.

There's no excuse, they had plenty of time, it's a weekday, and the snow stopped around 10am.

I saw plenty of plows but few sand/salt trucks. I know it's colder than usual but the parking lots were salted and clear!
Roads have compacted snow from cars driving on it. The pre-salting allows the snow to melt easier (lower melting temp) but it was ultimately too cold for that. Lots were empty and had light snow easily plowed.

Same idea at your own driveway if it were only a couple inches... you don't want to be walking all over it, then attempt to shovel it. You're not going to be getting bare ground.

Closing the LIE so crews can do their thing was a good idea wasn't it?

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
I was on both the SSP and the LIE yesterday. The ssp was down to just wet pavement. The lie still had some snow on the road...certainly not a lot but still not down to pavement at 2pm.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Ugh...sick of snow.
Sick of cold weather.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 AM

312 posts, read 516,359 times
Can I ask an ignorant question? I have never had a problem with my heat getting up to what I set it at, but this morning it isn't getting "that" high. Is that because it is so cold outside? It runs for quite awhile, and then even though it hasn't reached my set temperature it stops for a brief period before running again. It doesn't stop for long.. minutes max and then starts up again.

l. I thought maybe it stops just because it can't run constantly....(because of the engine or whatever runs the thing)
2. Shouldn't it be able to get up to the thermostat setting?

I don't know of anybody with oil heat except the people on Long Island, so I am asking on this forum.

My son is running around barefoot ..never cold........... but I think it is freezing.....

Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I had to work yesterday but I work very close. The side roads in Islip weren't that great.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Can I ask an ignorant question? I have never had a problem with my heat getting up to what I set it at, but this morning it isn't getting "that" high. Is that because it is so cold outside? It runs for quite awhile, and then even though it hasn't reached my set temperature it stops for a brief period before running again. It doesn't stop for long.. minutes max and then starts up again.

l. I thought maybe it stops just because it can't run constantly....(because of the engine or whatever runs the thing)

I don't know of anybody with oil heat except the people on Long Island, so I am asking on this forum.

My son is running around barefoot ..never cold........... but I think it is freezing.....
Same here. This happened last year on the coldest day. Called the heating company and they said the heat can't keep up with the cold when it gets under 20 degrees or so. Feel your radiators. If they are warm then they are working ok. I have it at 70 and when I got up it was 63, now up to 64. I'm sure by tomorrow the temperature will match the setting.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks. It did go up 6 degrees when I cranked it. That put it at 61 The oil company said to set it higher. Also several people said insulation. The heaters are toasty warm

Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post

What type of home and how old? You probably have a lot of drafts or lack sufficient insulation and the extreme cold is obviously not helping. If you ask for a free home energy audit from the state, they can tell you exactly how buttoned down your house is. They use a machine that sucks air out from your front door to determine that. We called Triple H Contracting and they did our audit free. Our boiler is running a lot more now too.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Ok. I didn't know about the free test. Everyone is saying insulation. It is a 1940s rear dormered cape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island