Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had mail delivery since the storm? I can understand the mail delivery being canceled on Friday but today when pretty much all streets have been sanded and plowed is very unusual. I knew I should have paid extra to have my package shipped via UPS or FedEx

Whatever happened to the ol USPS motto of "Neither rain nor snow ..."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM

312 posts, read 516,493 times
Yes, my son's boots (and a bunch of junk mail) arrived today. There was mail here. UPS delivered on Friday. I love UPS

Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Historically February and March are Long Island's snowiest months
Looking at my gas bill the last 2 years, that is true. Jan-Mar are the costliest months. Snow isn't always plentiful but the cold temps are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Has anyone had mail delivery since the storm? I can understand the mail delivery being canceled on Friday but today when pretty much all streets have been sanded and plowed is very unusual. I knew I should have paid extra to have my package shipped via UPS or FedEx

Whatever happened to the ol USPS motto of "Neither rain nor snow ..."?
USPS was supposed to deliver a Fedex smartpost package on Friday but deferred to Saturday. Haven't seen a UPS truck but saw a Fedex truck.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Can I ask an ignorant question? I have never had a problem with my heat getting up to what I set it at, but this morning it isn't getting "that" high. Is that because it is so cold outside? It runs for quite awhile, and then even though it hasn't reached my set temperature it stops for a brief period before running again. It doesn't stop for long.. minutes max and then starts up again.

l. I thought maybe it stops just because it can't run constantly....(because of the engine or whatever runs the thing)
2. Shouldn't it be able to get up to the thermostat setting?

I don't know of anybody with oil heat except the people on Long Island, so I am asking on this forum.

My son is running around barefoot ..never cold........... but I think it is freezing.....
Same here. Bumped up the aquastat to 180 which helped quite a bit.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Our paychecks are supposed to come in on Friday night to my boss's house around 7 pm. He brings them in on Saturday. As of today no paychecks. UPS delivers them.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Best thing to do when it's this cold is raise the boiler water temperature to 200 degrees. Most boilers are not designed to keep 70 degrees on a 0 degree day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Same here. Bumped up the aquastat to 180 which helped quite a bit.
Can you describe the reason for why this works better? Is the boiler working less hard overall on keeping the water temp which flows to the baseboards?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Can you describe the reason for why this works better? Is the boiler working less hard overall on keeping the water temp which flows to the baseboards?
Increasing the high setting on the aquastat increases heat output to your baseboard (but also makes you burn more oil in the long run). Many recommend 180hi 140low in the winter (although there is debate about what works best/most efficient which depends on many factors). Also be careful about setting too high or the pressure valve will vent.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM

312 posts, read 516,493 times
The house was nice and warm today. I guess just because outside temps weren't as cold. I will check back on Tuesday. Ha ha. Brr

Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Increasing the high setting on the aquastat increases heat output to your baseboard (but also makes you burn more oil in the long run). Many recommend 180hi 140low in the winter (although there is debate about what works best/most efficient which depends on many factors). Also be careful about setting too high or the pressure valve will vent.
Thanks - I won't risk it because of that last part, but I thought the point of doing it was to be more efficient = use LESS gas/oil?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
My parents were stuck on the highway in that 78 storm they told me.
Were you born nine months after that storm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island