Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I assume you never rotate your tires?

I can swap out all the tires & check the pressure in less than 30 min....its even easier than changing the motor oil myself.
Personally no they're uni-directional and staggered. But tire rotation is not necessary twice a year anyway and there's storage of 4 tires/rims (heavy, especially for SUV/truck sizes) and also the lugging of the tires to the shop for those less inclined. And people have more than 1 car. It's just a hassle any way you look at it. For the snow that we get, overkill.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-14-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I have the Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Audi. AMAZING tires. And you can run them year round if you want since they are technically considered a performance snow tire. I used to swap mine out every year and I actually kept a second set of rims so i wouldn't have to go through the hassle of having my wheels rebalanced.

One spring I was late taking my Blizzaks off and frankly I noticed zero difference in dry weather handling between my Blizzaks and my regular summer tires. So I go year round with the Blizzaks.

My Audi with AWD is unstoppable in the snow with these tires.
i run winter-tires year-around with my commute car.

i don't get why people not getting winter tires in tri-state area.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

^ Blizzaks are only good for about 15k miles (something about multi-cell tread compound) so year-round usage is not recommended unless you like getting new ones every year or two.

My reason for not doing winter tires is above, along with the fact that my all-season mud & snow rated Toyos have served me fine here in NY for over 35k miles and still have over half its life. Again, winter tires are optimal a few times a year, but not necessary imo.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-14-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM

200 posts, read 618,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ Blizzaks are only good for about 15k miles so year-round usage is not recommended unless you like getting new ones every year or two.

My reason for not doing winter tires is above, along with the fact that my all-season mud & snow rated Toyos have served me fine here in NY for over 40k miles and still have over half its life.
I have had three sets of Blizzaks and got over 40K on each set Blizzaks are one of the best snow tires you can buy, you can get an unbiased review on Tire Rack to find out most people love the tire.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealarm View Post
I have had three sets of Blizzaks and got over 40K on each set Blizzaks are one of the best snow tires you can buy, you can get an unbiased review on Tire Rack to find out most people love the tire.
It appears what makes them unique is only the top 55% of the tread depth so while you're not at the wear indicator, it may not be at its best any longer. http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...id=116#howlong

I have no doubt they are great winter tires.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM

200 posts, read 618,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It appears what makes them unique is only the top 55% of the tread depth so while you're not at the wear indicator, it may not be at its best any longer. http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...id=116#howlong

I have no doubt they are great winter tires.
I agree with you, but those tires are so expensive you can't always buy new ones when they are half worn out.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Tires certainly help, but there's simply no substitute for 4x4, ground clearance and horsepower.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Tires certainly help, but there's simply no substitute for 4x4, ground clearance and horsepower.
Just like this one.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
I've driven it all....tires is #1.

horsepower is mostly useless in snow related challenges.

In my experience,

#1 tires
#2 brakes...people don't seen to know braking distances....so experience & caution comes to play
#3 awd/4wd comes in to play. I noticed many people don't know how to drive 4wd either.

If ground clearance comes into play, then either your car is low or there is some serious deep snow which is rare for nyc (1 foot is not deep).

Go to any snowy state in the west.....I've seen skilled drivers driving in deep snow in 2 wheel drive...its just another day for them.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Tires first and foremost. Ground clearance in the burbs -- what are you doing? Hopping buried curbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island