Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In the last year, have you called in a noise complaint?
Yes, on a neighbor. 4 16.67%
Yes, on a loud vehicle. 1 4.17%
Yes, on something I couldn't identify. 0 0%
No, you should have just put cotton in your ears and gone to bed. 14 58.33%
Other (explain below) 5 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM

118 posts, read 258,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Once, when neighbors about two blocks away had a graduation party. Music was so loud it was shaking the house. Maybe he invited his neighbors so they wouldnt complain. The cops came, the music lowered, the cops left, the music got louder. Typical long island.

It lasted for 8 hours but, at least it ended at 9.

Dont get the reason for blasting music for the world to hear.

Also had a neighbor who put loud speakers outside by his pool. His kids would loudly play rap on sunday mornings in the summer.
Finally spoke to him. He apologized, said it wouldnt happen again and it didnt. He said he couldnt live in his house if he didnt tune out his kids and their music.
Sounds like the party my neighbor had for his kid's communion. Tables and chairs set up for about 50 guests in backyard. DJ set up around 11 and let the kids help with sound check (about 5 Tweens doing karaoke...without music). Party ended around 7pm.

They are pretty quiet neighbors otherwise and we figured, hey, how many times is his kid going to make communion? So after 10 minutes of the sound check we went out for lunch and then went shopping. Came home a few hors later and shut the windows and turned on the AC, even though it was only May.

However, we did complain when a different neighbor's landscaper started earlier and earlier each Saturday morning and one day the leaf blowers were fired up at 8am. Landscapers are not allowed to start until 9am on weekends in my area, so jumping the gun by a full hour was obnoxious.

The common element in our threads seems to be that we became less forgiving when it was a recurring event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I have major noise issues near me all the time. The problems have varied over the years. The only consistent one through the years is the guy who practices his bagpipes at 7 AM on weekends and holidays.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
No, but I do enjoy speeding up and down the local streets on my snowmobile when we get a good snow.

Also, I just got a chuckle from the thought of those idiots who moved next to the airport and then complained about the noise, calling the cops to complain. "Hello, police? Yes, I would like to file a noise complaint please. Yes....yes...right next to JFK............hello? hello?!!?"

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have noise issues all of the time because I live right on the corner of Sunrise HWY. You get used to it plus I am a heavy sleeper, a bomb could go off and I wouldn't budge LOL. Just buy ear plugs, problem solved.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
oh I forgot - I want to call the cops on the fire house that keeps blaring their horn that you can hear a mile away as if it was just outside even with windows closed. If it was used for warning firefighters who don't have pagers on them, they need to realize the town is bigger than a mile.

My cousin who came to visit thought there was an air raid or a tornado coming.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Get a white noise machine. Works wonders.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have noise issues all of the time because I live right on the corner of Sunrise HWY. You get used to it plus I am a heavy sleeper, a bomb could go off and I wouldn't budge LOL. Just buy ear plugs, problem solved.
I used to live in a house that backed up to a well traveled road (not as much as Sunrise Hwy), and we did get used to the almost white noise.

When we moved to NY, I made sure that we moved onto a quiet (and boring) block. We expect occasional loud noises; jets, the volunteer fire siren, occasional loud trucks, etc. But if I have a neighbor who blares music on a regular basis, I'd politely ask that they be considerate during sleep hours. If that wouldn't work, I'd go to the next step. Thankfully, that hasn't happened.

For a once a year New Years party, I think I'd just grin and bear it.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
oh I forgot - I want to call the cops on the fire house that keeps blaring their horn that you can hear a mile away as if it was just outside even with windows closed. If it was used for warning firefighters who don't have pagers on them, they need to realize the town is bigger than a mile.

My cousin who came to visit thought there was an air raid or a tornado coming.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Get a white noise machine. Works wonders.
Would a white noise machine drown out a black rap artiste?

Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM

119 posts, read 257,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No, I have not had to call in noise complaints. It is pretty quiet on my block.

In your case, I would not have called 911 because it was a blizzard situation and the police were needed to be on call for potential emergency situations ... traffic direction if lights went out, car accidents, assistance calls for elderly or handicapped people in their homes, etc.

If the noise was bothering me that much I would have gone outside and yelled at the morons to go away and ride their toys somewhere else.
Call and let them decide if it's important or not. If there actually is the stuff going on that you say there is, the call will be held. If the post car is free, they will respond to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island