Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the other thread about how property taxes can't go up more then 20% over 5 years.

If I purchased a small 1 story home that had that 3-4K in taxes, then build up and built out; since property value would double, is the county still restricted from increasing my taxes past the 20% mark? You can essentially go from a 600sq ft home to 1800 sq ft and only pay taxes for under 5K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I was just reading the other thread about how property taxes can't go up more then 20% over 5 years.

If I purchased a small 1 story home that had that 3-4K in taxes, then build up and built out; since property value would double, is the county still restricted from increasing my taxes past the 20% mark? You can essentially go from a 600sq ft home to 1800 sq ft and only pay taxes for under 5K?

No!!!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM

No need to shout. Just wondering. New to long island. Figured if you expanded, then they can raise taxes to whatever they felt fit. =)

edit:
I should say, not just new to L.I. New to home ownership.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

622 posts, read 852,832 times
I believe, as long you don't change the footprint of the home, you may avoid an immediate increase in your assessment.

My neighbor knocked down the original structure--a ranch-style home built in the 70's--leaving only the rear wall. Apparently this was to keep the assessment the same. Then he built out a 3800 sq ft home. The assessment stayed the same for about two years, then the taxes took off and today, he pays a huge tax bill.

Otherwise, building out is like committing tax payer suicide, here on LI.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,877 times
Quote:

If you doubled the SF in the home, a 20% increase is nothing.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I believe, as long you don't change the footprint of the home, you may avoid an immediate increase in your assessment.

My neighbor knocked down the original structure--a ranch-style home built in the 70's--leaving only the rear wall. Apparently this was to keep the assessment the same. Then he built out a 3800 sq ft home. The assessment stayed the same for about two years, then the taxes took off and today, he pays a huge tax bill.

Most - if not all - Towns have changed that. When I sold my last house, the buyers did that and built a McMansion; a year after they completed the project, the Town changed their regulations and now it's no longer a benefit to keep a wall up.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No need to shout. Just wondering. New to long island. Figured if you expanded, then they can raise taxes to whatever they felt fit. =)

edit:
I should say, not just new to L.I. New to home ownership.
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a "shout".

Talking about Town of Huntington, there's a phase-in period of increased RE taxes for certain expansions/improvements. Here it is from their website:

Can I get Information about the Home Improvement Exemption?

• The assessment increase for residential construction and home improvements that add taxable value to an existing home can be phased-in over nine (9) years. The maximum units of assessed value that may be phased-in is $1,696 (one thousand six hundred ninety-six). Eligibility Requirements:

1) Property must be a one or two-family residence.

2) Construction is current and has all required permits.

3) One-time application must be filed timely (on or before March 1) to be considered for the following December’s property tax bill.

- See more at: Exemptions FAQ

Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post

What area was he able to build a nearly 4k sqft home?

It takes 2 years for the reassessment to end up as your new bill even if you do it through the proper channels. We finished our project in 2011 and are only now paying a higher tax bill. The home improvement tax exemption that lasts 8 years has helped though (Nassau County, Long Island New York).

Quote:
For the first year of the exemption, 100 percent of the assessed value of the improvement is exempt. In the second year 87.5 percent; in the third year, 75 percent; and so on.
On top of that, I was able to challenge the new assessment successfully and our taxes will drop next year.

Before the job, I called the assessor to get an idea of my potential tax increase. He basically said if you improve your value (assessment) by 50%, your taxes will go up 50%. It seems to be true.

Quote:
Can Property tax increase over the 20% if house is expanded?
indubitably

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,344 times
My home was originally ~1100 sq ft, I added a 2nd floor for a total of 1860 sq ft. My taxes more than doubled as a result. Footprint has nothing to do with the tax increase, it's the overall assessed value of the home. Footprint may be a part of the overall calculation, but not changing the footprint of our home did not spare us the increase. You would be best served to get an estimate from your town on what an addition will end up costing you.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone. Was just curious. Definitely have no money left over after this home purchase to consider expanding. Though it would be interesting to find out if smithtown has a similar 8/9 year exemption
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island