Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:40 PM

193 posts, read 271,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't remember ever having a delayed opening, ever. And every time it snowed my bus would get stuck on this one particular turn and we'd have to walk the rest of the way home, one time in a raging snowstorm with the snow already up to our knees, we thought it was the most fun ever, mom wasn't freaking out that we were 15 minutes late and no threatened to sue.

Also was a "walker" in HS and had to walk across the football field, even when there was a foot of snow on the ground and too cool for snow boots. I survived.
Oh look! Another "back in my day" post. Yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Oh look! Another "back in my day" post. Yawn.
Guess I should have put a trigger warning for the snowflake generation.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Guess I should have put a trigger warning for the snowflake generation.
Probably thinks many houses on the east end still don't have electricity or running water.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
What's not to understand? Buildings take time to warm up. Custodians need time to apply salt to walkways, clear parking lots, and make sure the building itself is safe for students. It ensures the safety of school staff as well when early morning driving conditions are questionable. As a NYC teacher, I wish my district did the same thing.
"Buildings take time to warm up"??? Well, then have the night custodian turn the heat on early ! The custodial staff is usually there 24 hours a day so I'm not understanding your comment about that.
It's kind of a fact that it does get cold here in winter and I suppose the school should have a plan in place for that.
As mentioned by some of the "older" posters here, I don't ever recall a delayed school opening because of cold weather . Somehow, the school buses magically showed on cold or snowy days. The teachers always made it to school on time . I suppose things have not changed all that much to prevent that from happening now. But today, any minor inconvenience becomes a major event .
The world should not stop because the temperature dips below twenty degrees , or there is a millimeter of snow on the ground.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 01-31-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Remember the days before all wheel drive and traction control? When most cars were real wheel drive. Only rednecks and contractors had pickups and 4x4. How did we ever survive?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
"Buildings take time to warm up"??? Well, then have the night custodian turn the heat on early ! The custodial staff is usually there 24 hours a day so I'm not understanding your comment about that.
It's kind of a fact that it does get cold here in winter and I suppose the school should have a plan in place for that.
As mentioned by some of the "older" posters here, I don't ever recall a delayed school opening because of cold weather . Somehow, the school buses magically showed on cold or snowy days. The teachers always made it to school on time . I suppose things have not changed all that much to prevent that from happening now. But today, any minor inconvenience becomes a major event .
The world should not stop because the temperature dips below twenty degrees , or there is a millimeter of snow on the ground.
One word: litigation

Or the fear thereof. That’s why everything gets shut down. Why administration hides behind a code of conduct.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Remember the days before all wheel drive and traction control? When most cars were real wheel drive. Only rednecks and contractors had pickups and 4x4. How did we ever survive?
We lived at the top of a hill so when you backed out of our driveway you were right at the crest....we always had to back down the street to get going, luckily we lived on a dead end with little traffic.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
One word: litigation

Or the fear thereof. That’s why everything gets shut down. Why administration hides behind a code of conduct.
The end of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: