Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM

13 posts, read 14,459 times

Advertisements

My new job will requires me to commute from Farmingdale to Carlstadt, NJ everyday (total close to 100 mile commute ), I am trying to keep fuel & toll cost as less as possible. I have come up following route for this commute:

Farmingdale to Carlstadt (Morning commute starting around 7:30 AM)

LIE/Northern State Parkway-> Queens Borough Bridge -> FDR Drive -> George Washington Bridge

Carlstadt to Farmingdale (Evening commute starting around 5:00 PM)

George Washington Bridge -> Harlem River/FDR Drive -> Queens Borough Bridge -> LIE

This way I will be paying toll only once at GWB while coming in to City.

Do I have any other better route/options that will save me more on toll/fuel cost? BTW, I will have to buy a cheap & reliable used car for this commute (will create a separate thread in automotive forum)

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 AM

429 posts, read 853,085 times
It will be a rough commute, for sure. What time do you have to be there?

If you don't already have a car, have you considered LIRR to Penn, then NJ to your office?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
That commute will wear you out very quickly.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
You're thinking about the commute all wrong, you need to focus on time management and just bite the bullet on the related costs. I drove from Northport to just west of Newark every day for nearly two years and worked every conceivable angle imaginable; you're looking at a killer commute. And if you're serious about the drive times you're hosed no matter which way you go. At those times you're looking at anywhere from 4-5 hours of driving on a reasonably good day; add another hour each way if it's raining/snowing.

Here's one absolute rule: Avoid driving through Manhattan proper. Your only chance is to take the GW into and out of NJ because there are multiple road options leading to the bridge on both sides and with live traffic mapping courtesy of Google or Waze you can make course corrections along the way to find the path of least resistance. Save some money by filling up in NJ only -I recommend taking Route 46 to the GW going home and filling up there. Also you need to get EZ Pass if you don't already.

I would also recommend you explore the possibility of using public transportation. One option I tried for a week was to take the LIRR to Penn, transfer to NJ Transit and take a train to the station nearest the client I was working for. From there I either took a taxi or had someone pick me up. The problem was that in NJ I was going the wrong way on both ends and the schedule wasn't very flexible. However you may be able to take the PATH and figure out a place to leave a car so you can drive the last leg in NJ. It won't save much time but it will be both cheaper and easier on your body/mind.

I'm sorry for making this all seem so ominous but it's a hard commute that will eventually break you. I also understand better than most that sometimes you have to do whatever necessary to earn a living but I implore you to continue looking for an alternative because your health will eventually suffer, trust me on that point.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You're thinking about the commute all wrong, you need to focus on time management and just bite the bullet on the related costs.
bingo.

And you need to seriously consider leaving closer to 6:00/6:30 than 7:30.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
bingo.

And you need to seriously consider leaving closer to 6:00/6:30 than 7:30.
Agreed! On my outbound drive I would leave at 5:30 AM in order to enjoy an easier trip - I could make the drive in about ninety minutes. On the inbound drive I'd wait as close to 6:00 PM to start the drive home because if all went perfectly I could be in my house by 8:00 PM. My entire strategy was designed around spending as little time as possible sitting in my car.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
If you are seriously thinking about this commute then you are better off moving to NJ.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Agreed! On my outbound drive I would leave at 5:30 AM in order to enjoy an easier trip - I could make the drive in about ninety minutes. On the inbound drive I'd wait as close to 6:00 PM to start the drive home because if all went perfectly I could be in my house by 8:00 PM. My entire strategy was designed around spending as little time as possible sitting in my car.
I commute to Carlstadt once a month and the morning commute isn't too bad taking Grand Central, to ClearView, TNB, CBE and GW. It usually takes me 1 -1.5 hours depending on how bad traffic is on the CBE leaving the house by 8am. I would only take FDR drive if there is major traffic on the CBE.

Coming back is a different story. I try to always leave by 4:00 pm and getting to back to NY is pretty good but the traffic on the LIE or GCP is horrible. Always 2 hours to get back. Leaving at 6 pm might be better.

BTW, I live close to farmingdale also.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Came here to post this!

Why would anyone torture their self with a commute like this?

NEVER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If you are seriously thinking about this commute then you are better off moving to NJ.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:10 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
I commute to Carlstadt once a month and the morning commute isn't too bad taking Grand Central, to ClearView, TNB, CBE and GW. It usually takes me 1 -1.5 hours depending on how bad traffic is on the CBE leaving the house by 8am. I would only take FDR drive if there is major traffic on the CBE.

Coming back is a different story. I try to always leave by 4:00 pm and getting to back to NY is pretty good but the traffic on the LIE or GCP is horrible. Always 2 hours to get back. Leaving at 6 pm might be better.

BTW, I live close to farmingdale also.
There's no way. Maybe this happens at 8:00 am on Christmas morning. Your looking at close to an hour on the CBE alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island