Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

We've gotten a few letters from Buyer's Brokers recently stating that they have clients interested in purchasing only in our neighborhood and if we were considering selling at some point, we should contact them (or something along those lines.)

Is it just marketing...a way to generate business? Or is it usually legitimate in that they are working for a client?

And if it's legit, do they send those letters out to every home in the neighborhood? Or is there a selection process, meaning they exclude recently sold homes or the buyers choose which homes they're interested/not interested in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
100% advertisement that goes out to everyone. Ask your neighbors if they got one.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Seriously? I've been getting those since I bought my first house 16 years ago! Total advertisement, meant to make people like you think your house is special.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
I get them too from a realty in town that specializes just in our area.

However, if someone really wants your house and tells a realtor, the realtor will NOT be shy about actually knocking on your door and letting you know. It happened to my mom a couple of times. It also happens to my aunt in her current home. My aunt has also had just people knock on her door and say stuff like, "I've always loved your house since I was a little girl ... would you by any chance be thinking of selling anytime soon?" It's like that particular house puts a spell on people or something it has been asked about so much. It actually put a spell on her husband's mother and was passed down from her ...

Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I get them too from a realty in town that specializes just in our area.

However, if someone really wants your house and tells a realtor, the realtor will NOT be shy about actually knocking on your door and letting you know. It happened to my mom a couple of times. It also happens to my aunt in her current home. My aunt has also had just people knock on her door and say stuff like, "I've always loved your house since I was a little girl ... would you by any chance be thinking of selling anytime soon?" It's like that particular house puts a spell on people or something it has been asked about so much. It actually put a spell on her husband's mother and was passed down from her ...
When we were looking at houses many years ago, the house I coveted as a kid came on the market. I drove by it every day on the bus. It was such a disappointment to see it and the owners were crazy, they raised the asking price after we saw it. Apparently they wanted to move to Lloyd Harbor but couldn't really afford it!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When we were looking at houses many years ago, the house I coveted as a kid came on the market. I drove by it every day on the bus. It was such a disappointment to see it and the owners were crazy, they raised the asking price after we saw it. Apparently they wanted to move to Lloyd Harbor but couldn't really afford it!
Aw that stinks! Sometimes people get way too greedy!

I hate when I see a house that looks nice on the outside and then I get inside and I can tell they cut all the corners and didn't maintain it and it's a dump inside ... I'm like whoa! you cheap b@@@@ds! Why did you live like pigs inside and expect people to pay top dollar because the outside is nice?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Seriously? I've been getting those since I bought my first house 16 years ago! Total advertisement, meant to make people like you think your house is special.
I've been in my home 12+ years and we used to get letters directly from prospective buyers looking to buy in our neighborhood. I hadn't received one in several years, but did have one in my mailbox (direct buyer) about 3 months ago, hence my question regarding these specific letters.

These last two letters are from two different brokers and they clearly state they're not asking to list our home and if we've thought about selling, to contact the broker to set up an appointment for the clients to see the property. We do receive a lot of mailing from agents/brokers, but usually I can tell when it's direct marketing.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I get those for my car too from various dealer brands. Used cars = big profit.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM

For my own curiosity, for those of you replying, are you guys realtors/brokers?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
100% advertisement that goes out to everyone. Ask your neighbors if they got one.

Since the letter stated their clients were looking to purchase in our neighborhood (they stated the neighborhood by name), I wouldn't be shocked if my neighbors received a letter as well. They also have nice, updated homes and didn't move into them recently.

Again, that's what I'm asking...does the broker just send it out to every home in that neighborhood? It wasn't a mass mailing...meaning the letters were specific to the homeowner and signed by the broker, not a printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island