Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,074,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Do some math - once you factor in all of the added costs that come with the Madison Ave. job (increased home price, property taxes, costs of commuting, traffic, probably PMI since $50K won't match up to a 20% downpayment, etc.), will you actually end up with more money in your pocket than you would in Florida?
Correct, we probably could scrape together another 10 grand so that puts us able to put down 20% on a 300k home. If we were to buy out in Ronkonkoma area most homes that were not total dumps were around 300k. Commute from ronkonkoma to Penn station is $350 a month, then subway uptown another $80 a month so commuting cost about $5k a year at least also depending on where we live to drive to station has to be figured in. Taxes I figure at least $700 a month.

Another concern, cost of heating oil...has to be more expensive than paying for central air in Florida. We had natural gas in our town home, even in January only cost us about $125 a month for a 1600 sq foot w/3 floors. In the summer only $40 a month to run dryer and for hot water and cooking.

I just don't get how things spiraled so out of control in Nassau and Suffolk as far as property values and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Well with no kids and no plans to have any, I wouldn't stay on LI at all. Go to FL and enjoy a semi retirement. You'll only be adding another layer of stress with a job in Manhattan and for what? You can sock away some serious cash when you don't have kids, esecially instead of giving it to the unions and the MTA and so on and so forth.

You'll be so much more relaxed not living in NY you won't' even realize it till you come back to visit. After a while it is becomes easy to take for grated what it's like where you move - that's why trips back to NY are good for me. I get "ho hum" about where I live and 2 days on Long Island make me run screaming for the bridge or tunnel!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,978,885 times
Move to FL, pay off your mortgage in 12 years and you would be debt free by the time you're 60.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,874,438 times
Move to Florida. Save tons of cash. Forget about your siblings and nieces/ nephews. Get old and useless. Leave your inheritance to the nursing home.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,546,962 times
I'm biased because I've already made the (successful) decision to relocate away from Long Island. If you're getting down to dollars and cents, Florida is going to be cheaper no matter what other factors you consider. Yes it's very different from the New York area but unless you frequent museums and take in Broadway shows regularly that's a moot point. But here's the thing that would be a clear tipping point for me: I struggled with the decision to relocate because I wanted my children to benefit from the great Long Island schools, which almost justified the suffocatingly high taxes we paid. You don't have any children and so you'd basically be funding a system that you'll never benefit from - why would you do that?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,086,300 times
I would leave.

Why> Seems like your job will be tied to NYC and that commute alone makes it not worth it. You wont have any kids to worry about schools or being close to family to watch your kids. Go enjoy cheaper living now. More than likely you would be moving away from NY when you retire anyways.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,074,660 times
yup, leaning heavily toward the south, we dont care about the school district since we have no children however want to eventually buy in a decent neighborhood for obvious reasons. I look at at my sisters who purchased homes with outrageous tax bills, one is close to 20k in Rockville CEntre for taxes, what point is that? Yes school district is good but is a moot point for us.

Plus I believe I would dread that commute in and out of manhattan you get herded in and out of there like a truckload of cattle. Then no matter if I come into PEnn or GCS, a subway is necessary to go uptown 40 or so blocks...too far to walk. would miss family, but JFK to Tampa only 2.25 hours direct.

So if I get the offer, time to head south...just wanted some viewpoints. Long Island is nice, we will always consider it our home but Florida ain't so bad either, we have nothing to lose if we go...not like I drive across the border on 95 and a electric fence slams shut behind us.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
Stay close to family now, retire in Florida later.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
You better not be an avid skier, or you might be disappointed. I hate winter and the cold, but there are so many fun winter activities that I would miss if I lived in FL, especially skiing. I feel you miss out when you don't have 4 distinct seasons. I don't know, Christmas when it's warm just seems so wrong lol

Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,752,196 times
Dont settle for Ronkonkoma. I would move south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island