Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM

176 posts, read 730,194 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Moving from Brooklyn NY and I found some affordable homes in these locations. I'm drawn more to mount Sinai but heard longwood has a great special ed program. This I crucial as I have two kids and one autistic and other is delayed. We want safe nice neighborhood and was thinking of town homes, low maintenance, affordable ect. Any suggestions anyone has please let me know we are pre-approved for 600k but only looking in range of 250k to Max of 300.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
I am not personally familiar with the special ed programs at the different schools. However, you may want to check Sound Beach for affordable housing. Depending on where in Sound Beach, you would either fall in the Rocky Point School District or Miller Place. I have a friend who has two children with special needs, and she raves about the help at Miller Place. Longwood would give you more selection on area because the school district is so large. However, check the school report cards. Good Luck.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Consider contacting the districts and ask if you can observe in their special ed programs, or sit down with their department coordinators or something.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
You are leaving Brooklyn and going to live in Deep 631. Aside from worrying about the schools, what about your commute to work?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM

176 posts, read 730,194 times
I am a stay at home mom due to special needs kids and my husband works in law enforcement in queens and he is also in military based out of Long Island. His work schedule is not during rush hour so I will work. We are just looking for extra space for our family and a decent school district, I am a very involved parent so it doesn't have to be an elite school district ad I believe if a parent is involved in kids education they will do well. Also we have family living in long island which will be great when we need a break from kids.

Thank u guys for input and suggestions, please let me know if u have any more

Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times
I tutor several special need kids in the Miller Place SD, and I can say that that the parents are very happy with the special Ed department there (very supportive). I've also had a teacher call me to discuss one of her students (very dedicated).

Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Rocky Point has the reputation of having excellent Special Ed programs!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I am not personally familiar with the special ed programs at the different schools. However, you may want to check Sound Beach for affordable housing. Depending on where in Sound Beach, you would either fall in the Rocky Point School District or Miller Place. I have a friend who has two children with special needs, and she raves about the help at Miller Place. Longwood would give you more selection on area because the school district is so large. However, check the school report cards. Good Luck.
I can't stress this enough. Miller Place has the WORST program for special needs children. They try to ship the kids out of district to Hauppauge and Westhampton. Avoid it like the plague. So if you buy into Sound Beach, make sure it is within the Rocky Point District. The Longwood District is very good but be careful if you look in Coram where you intend to purchase. Avoid Gordon Heights. If purchasing in Coram, stay north. As far as Rocky Point goes, it is one of the most underrated districts for Autism. It is a FANTASTIC district and they work with the Shoreham Wading River district which is another great one, if your child ages out.

*** I don't mean to poke at you but if your friend is telling you that Miller Place is a good district for special needs, she is either blind, crazy, or a parent who is not on top of things. Miller Place has very few children with special needs in the district so they ship them out and that keeps their approval up. The school ratings are also affected by this so they are not always a good way to judge. My daughter went to all of these districts so I know first hand and my wife and I are hands on mom and dads. It takes a lot of research but these are huge facts. When there were so few special needs kids in the program they tried shipping our daughter off to westhampton which would have put her on a bus over an hour each way with the stops. When we refused, they tried throwing my daughter out of the school so we had to go to a mediator. Even the mediator told the 2 administrators how disgusting the behavior was.

***Once again, if you love your children and they have special needs, DO NOT send them to Miller Place. Walk into Shoreham or Rocky Point and talk to the women in charge of the autism programs and you will walk out extremely pleased.

After checking the schools out,my suggestion would be to go to www.mlsli.com and/or www.realtor.com to check out homes.

Good Luck

Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
I second LOngwood. When we lived there, the special ed dept was great. My son went to parochial in Patchogue, but as we lived in Longwood at the time, he got resource services from Longwood. They didn't hesitate to assist him.
Some parts of Medford are Longwood and there are some really nice developments there.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I second LOngwood. When we lived there, the special ed dept was great. My son went to parochial in Patchogue, but as we lived in Longwood at the time, he got resource services from Longwood. They didn't hesitate to assist him.
Some parts of Medford are Longwood and there are some really nice developments there.
The only part of Medford right now that goes to Longwood I believe is in Gordon Heights. The rest go to Patchogue Medford. Longwood is comprised of most of Coram except for a few parts by Wedgewood that split off to Middle Country and some to Comsewogue. I think all of Middle Island also goes there and a little of the northern part of Shirley. with that being said I agree that Longwood is a good district for special needs children but I do think that Rocky Point and/or Shoreham-Wading River are a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island