Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
55 makes zero sense on a straight highway like the LIE, especially when the speed limit is 50 (and even some places 55) on roads like Vets Highway and similar local roads that have multiple places for people to pull out into oncoming traffic.

People are not doing 65+ because they 'like to speed', it's because it's the whole friggin' point of a 4 lane highway to move at a faster rate than side roads.

55 is not a magic number that saves lives. I guess all the other roads in the US that are 65 or even 70 zones must be littered with bodies. Oh wait, no they're not...
It may have to do with the fact that LI is so densely populated. Upstate the speed limits are 65 and even 70 on some roads. I don't agree that there's some magic "live saving #" but I do think that perhaps that's one of the reasons why. I also think some roads need it more than others. LIE, yes, agree we could use 65 on that road. Southern State, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
I started a thread on this a few months ago that got a little contentious, but I agree-- 55MPH on the LIE is beyond ludicrous. Ever gone 55 on there before? It's like driving in slow motion. Like other posters have said, if roads with traffic lights and driveways like 454, 347, 110, 231, etc can have 55MPH speed limits, surely the LIE (and parts of Sunrise Highway, even) could have 65MPH speed limits.

A few things to consider:
- Cars are far more modern than they were back when the limits were set-- they can handle, brake, and maneuver better
- The LIE has by and far been modernized between exits 30 and 66 with the new HOV lanes-- wide shoulders, high intensity lighting, reconfigured interchanges, better signage, and proper merge/exit lanes-- that has to count for something
- With the exception to some parts of western Nassau, the LIE is rather straight with really good sight distances

The only deterrent is stupid drivers, but they'll be stupid at any speed. I mean, I don't think the accident rate on the New Jersey Turnpike went up any when the limit went from 55MPH to 65MPH-- and that's with Jersey drivers!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The only deterrent is stupid drivers, but they'll be stupid at any speed. I mean, I don't think the accident rate on the New Jersey Turnpike went up any when the limit went from 55MPH to 65MPH-- and that's with Jersey drivers!
Hey, come on man . FYI, most drivers on the Turnpike are out of staters (Mostly Maryland or New York ).

Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
And anyone who has driven the jersey turnpike in the last few years relaizes that you can raise the speedlimit to 100 but with all the construction and traffic you will be lucky to go 50.

The only people who want speed limits raised are those who speed. This way they can do another ten miles an hour to add to their already 10 plus mph above the speed limit and avoid a ticket

Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
And anyone who has driven the jersey turnpike in the last few years relaizes that you can raise the speedlimit to 100 but with all the construction and traffic you will be lucky to go 50.
Wow, the NJ Turnpike is easily faster than what people do on the LIE without traffic. People routinely do 75+ on the NJ Turnpike and some even approach 90 with little concern. I have no idea what alternate world you're experiencing.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

The only people who want speed limits raised are those who speed. This way they can do another ten miles an hour to add to their already 10 plus mph above the speed limit and avoid a ticket
GPSMA, the construction you refer to has only been going on since 2007, or so-- they're extending the dual roadways to exit 6. The construction zone is only between exits 5 and 8. The limits were raised in 1998. Even following your fallacious notion that construction has somehow debilitated speed on the Turnpike, there's no evidence that accidents went up between 1998 and 2007.

This past year, I was routinely driving between Maryland/DC and Long Island (3-4 times a month)-- I seldom had problems reaching the limit, outside of peak hours. Even then, the only jam was between exits 6 and 8.

You do realize the Turnpike was designed for 75MPH back in 1956, right?

It's not a question of speeding, it's a question of reasonable speed.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 PM

I did 87 MPH on the turnpike During a midday & midnight drive. You just need to know where the cops are located. The turnpike is 65 all the way to Gothels Bridge and is being expanded into 12 lanes from Exit 8 A to 6. That merge is terribly annoying for most drivers though, and its located in my town. There are side roads to avoid this traffic, but we dont want to reveal them .

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Nanny state-ism. They know better then you.

Completely evident in this thread btw.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Nanny state-ism. They know better then you.

Completely evident in this thread btw.
Why is the northeast full of Nanny states . They know its just infuriating the citizens and forcing them to move out. What makes politicians think they can control us. The common people should decide what steps they should take in a democracy.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Why is the northeast full of Nanny states . They know its just infuriating the citizens and forcing them to move out. What makes politicians think they can control us. We should decide what they do in a democracy.
If you move out of a state b/c of the speed limits, maybe the problem isn't the speed limits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island