Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM

25 posts, read 42,590 times

Advertisements

I want to live in Patchogue, due to In Laws, and I can't find a decent, good condition normal sized home for below $300K walking distance to Main Street. Sure I can buy a 2 bedroom with no garage but why would I? Anyone else frustrated by this? I do not want to spend more than 300K and have to be a slave to my job. It's already an hour and a half by train to Penn costing $25 round trip on the LIRR. There is no salary I can currently earn that justifies $125.00 a week commute.

My moms house in Massapequa (a colonial) is 3 blocks from the RR and sold for $385K. It is huge with 3 bedrooms, an eat in Kitchen, huge dining room, cathedral ceilings, 2 baths, a finished basement and a new roof and Hardwood floors throughout with a Fireplace and front porch. It's walking distance to everything including restaurants. We would have bought it if my bf's job wasn't here in Patchogue; He loves it too. I am not a huge fan of Nassau County, anyway, but the train commute in Nassau (South Shore) is no more than 40 miles and a lot less expensive.

So why the high prices in Patchogue? I am not even talking down by the water, that I can see but those are way higher than 300K except for those damaged by Sandy of course.

I used to own in Blue Point and loved it but I need to be walking distance to the RR and Blue Point doesn't have a railroad stop. They have some beautiful houses for 300K though.

I like the Patchogue downtown area and even inquired about the new construction (which looks a bit ridiculous encroaching the town) but they start at $2k for a Studio. I need 3 bedrooms so that is out. Renting is not an option as homes rent for at least $1400 and up for a ratty dilapidated space if you want more than 2 bedrooms. Complexes start at minimum $1200 for a 1 bedroom.

It's not that I don't have the money to spend more but I just can't see why it's so expensive here for a normal size house in a nice condition. My man has lived here all his life and loves it and I'd like to stay if I can find something. I don't mind renovating but I am having a lot of trouble finding something that isn't in the boonies.

Last edited by Funbucket; 01-20-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Just b/c your "man" works in Patchogue doesn't mean you have to live there. There are better towns you can buy something cheaper in that are close by but not IN Patchogue. I don't care much for Patchogue, some areas are nice, most are run down, IMO. I don't know much about Suffolk, but you can get better elsewhere. I think the prices have to do with the fact that the downtown area is appealing.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks. I didn't want to come out and say I don't like Patchogue but it is kind of run down.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
I'm not sure what the point of your post is, because it is very long winded if all you're asking is

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaK View Post
So why the high prices in Patchogue?
I don't think Patchogue is expensive right now. There are 6 houses in my area for sale under your $300k budget. One is brand new, meaning a contractor recently flipped it so it doesn't need ANY work. Just supply appliances, maybe.

Where are you looking to not see these? Do you have a Realtor you are working with? You should get one if you don't. And no, I don't mean an in-law with a license. Find someone who is very familiar with the area (where it floods, traffic cut through, underground streams, neighbors are renters, etc.) and someone who has a vested interest in finding a home for you.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Patchogue is overpriced for what it is, especially near the train/Main Street. It has a lot of "buzz" going right now, because it's basically the only decent spot for nightlife on the South Shore east of Babylon (not counting the Hamptons of course, but that's a totally different ball of wax), and developers keep swearing up and down that it's "the next big thing." It's creating a lot of demand, which, naturally, means the prices for the supply available are going up.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Patchogue is overpriced for what it is, especially near the train/Main Street. It has a lot of "buzz" going right now, because it's basically the only decent spot for nightlife on the South Shore east of Babylon (not counting the Hamptons of course, but that's a totally different ball of wax), and developers keep swearing up and down that it's "the next big thing." It's creating a lot of demand, which, naturally, means the prices for the supply available are going up.
Thank you. I appreciate your reply. You are right about the "next big thing". My boyfriend is a friend of the Mayor and he graciously explained it to him.

I was trying to be tactful but apparently I was long winded. I should have just made it smaller and said, "Why is a depressed town like Patchogue not cheaper to buy a home in?"

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I'm not sure what the point of your post is, because it is very long winded if all you're asking is
OK So don't read it then.

Last edited by Funbucket; 01-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: :C

Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaK View Post
Thank you. I appreciate your reply. You are right about the "next big thing". My boyfriend is a friend of the Mayor and he graciously explained it to him.

I was trying to be tactful but apparently I was long winded. I should have just made it smaller and said, "Why is a depressed town like Patchogue not cheaper to buy a home in?"
The answer is the "buzz," basically. It's becoming very popular with the late 20s/early 30s set, especially among those who fancy themselves "too cool" for Long Island in general.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Patchogue, and I think Main Street is both a real improvement and a great addition to that part of the Island, but move-in ready homes in the Village area are going for Sayville-like prices right now, and Sayville it ain't, in terms of infrastructure, general safety, and quality of your neighbors.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

I don't think Patchogue is expensive right now. There are 6 houses in my area for sale under your $300k budget. One is brand new, meaning a contractor recently flipped it so it doesn't need ANY work. Just supply appliances, maybe.

Where are you looking to not see these? Do you have a Realtor you are working with? You should get one if you don't. And no, I don't mean an in-law with a license. Find someone who is very familiar with the area (where it floods, traffic cut through, underground streams, neighbors are renters, etc.) and someone who has a vested interest in finding a home for you.
Kayo, I'm pretty sure she's referring specifically to the area that's walking distance to Main Street and to the train, which is comparatively run down and overpriced, especially when you factor in the Village taxes. If I recall from prior Patchogue threads, that's not the area you live in.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
The mayor of Patchogue is being paid off by the huge companies like Tritec who are coming in and "revitalizing" or basically making it like a mini Queens. I would never buy there. Remember you want the nicest neighborhood even if that means a smaller home that needs more work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island