Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times

Advertisements

Just make sure they remove the light switches, light fixtures, ect.
I actually saw a guy painting around a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 06:40 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
I can’t do it. I do it myself. $50-$100 per room with Benjamin Moore paint. I patch and sparkle myself. No I am not a painter but I can do just as good a job as anyone. It sure takes me a bit longer but I am a perfectionist and make sure there are no spills or mistakes. I tape everything up and my painter friends laugh at me because they don’t seem to need that but I’d rather take a week off from work than spend $10k when I can do it for less than $1000. That’s just me. I wouldn’t attempt plumbing though.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I can’t do it. I do it myself. $50-$100 per room with Benjamin Moore paint. I patch and sparkle myself. No I am not a painter but I can do just as good a job as anyone. It sure takes me a bit longer but I am a perfectionist and make sure there are no spills or mistakes. I tape everything up and my painter friends laugh at me because they don’t seem to need that but I’d rather take a week off from work than spend $10k when I can do it for less than $1000. That’s just me. I wouldn’t attempt plumbing though.
For basic stuff it’s easy. I paid for someone to paint my current home but with high ceilings, 2 story entry, tons of built ins and a finished basement it was worth getting a fresh coat on everything before moving in. Took a small crew 2 weeks. Cost was around $2 a sq ft including high end Sherwin Williams. No, this wasn’t LI where I once paid $500 for just one 10x12 room.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:08 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Are you shiny?

I'm just messing with you. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:44 AM

450 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post
I received two estimates from referrals that each amounted to $500 per day per painter, labor cost only. Is this the going rate on LI? Both estimates quoted the job taking 5 man-days. The job involves mostly repaint of walls and ceilings and one room of new sheetrock which is already spackled. I'm in Kings Park.

Thanks,
Matt

If sheetrock is already spackled and sanded, it's just coats of primer + paint?
Do it yourself, really not that hard.
I paid $1800 6 months ago to paint 1250sqft place and some patch/touch ups, only because I was in a rush, I made the mistake thinking I need to move quick, I shouldn't have and do it myself.
Few months later I painted my floors living room and hallway myself, when there is no furniture painting is really not that difficult. It's time consuming but also fun, just make it a weekend project. Get the best quality paint you can afford, you will thank yourself when they start drying without streaks. Also get best rollers you can afford, and trim pieces, worst part is the ceiling/wall meet, cutting that corner is the biggest part of painting job.

Remove wall plates and paint away, no taping needed.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
If sheetrock is already spackled and sanded, it's just coats of primer + paint?
Do it yourself, really not that hard.
I paid $1800 6 months ago to paint 1250sqft place and some patch/touch ups, only because I was in a rush, I made the mistake thinking I need to move quick, I shouldn't have and do it myself.
Few months later I painted my floors living room and hallway myself, when there is no furniture painting is really not that difficult. It's time consuming but also fun, just make it a weekend project. Get the best quality paint you can afford, you will thank yourself when they start drying without streaks. Also get best rollers you can afford, and trim pieces, worst part is the ceiling/wall meet, cutting that corner is the biggest part of painting job.

Remove wall plates and paint away, no taping needed.
2 words - Purdy rollers. Anything that says “good” or “contractor quality”? Stay away!

Old 04-20-2021, 03:37 PM

450 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
2 words - Purdy rollers. Anything that says “good” or “contractor quality”? Stay away!
Also avoid "package deals" unless you are just getting some for basement etc areas. I've noticed even the roller tray makes a huge difference when you apply. I had the disposable bright orange ones, they have grooves and notches and what not that creates a very nice even pattern, the other cheaper flimsy clear ones or the 6 for $1 ones somehow create a worse roller performance.
Good luck.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:40 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Are you shiny?

I'm just messing with you. Thanks for the laugh.
Lol. I’m a bit bumpy. I should have took my time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island