Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 AM

167 posts, read 305,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Building East was not the worse thing ever done. It needed to be done to support the demographics of the time and to cut down the long bus trips for the kids on the other end of the district.

Don't complain when you school taxes are double what they are now.
Ok thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,943 times
Let me tell you, the worst section 8 housing tenant I have had to deal with was not someone of the 'diverse' variety, but a mid-40s overweight, white lady. She was crazy. She scratched up my mom's car several times, instigated my mom (who was a bit of an aggressor to begin with) and tried to set herself on fire with kerosene, with my bedroom directly above her apartment.

We live in the Sachem SD area and we have met people of the 'diverse' variety who are kind, generous, and offered to help dig us out yesterday. They've paid us no mind as well, if they haven't said hello to us.

People are so afraid of diversity. Jeesh.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Let me tell you, the worst section 8 housing tenant I have had to deal with was not someone of the 'diverse' variety, but a mid-40s overweight, white lady. She was crazy. She scratched up my mom's car several times, instigated my mom (who was a bit of an aggressor to begin with) and tried to set herself on fire with kerosene, with my bedroom directly above her apartment.

We live in the Sachem SD area and we have met people of the 'diverse' variety who are kind, generous, and offered to help dig us out yesterday. They've paid us no mind as well, if they haven't said hello to us.

People are so afraid of diversity. Jeesh.
That diverse is trash, it's exactly what I don't want and I'm finding here. If you are implying I'm afraid of black or Spanish diverse then you are very mistaken. If you keep your house nice and raise good kids then I don't care what color you are..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
I would say its a minor upgrade. The scores do reflect that. Also I will say this....

Students in Sachem SD take extra tuition's.
Students in Smithtown SD take extra tuition's at the same place the students from Sachem SD take it. The point is that parents in both SD's feel they have to do something more than what the schools are giving them back.

If I were you, I would look the the west (Not Smithtown west, but really west into Nassau....) for a better upgrade. Taxes in some places in Smithtown are at Nassau levels.
If your hubby is hell bent on Smithtown, West (I mean Smithtown West ) is supposed to perform better.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM

76 posts, read 96,730 times
We don't have kids yet, but we had a choice between a larger home in Nesconset zoned for Sachem and a smaller one zoned for Smithtown. While SD wasn't the main determining factor, we are very happy we ultimately went with the Smithtown SD house. In terms of academic rankings (state, national and independent) Smithtown is a highly regarded school district. Taxes were not a significant difference between the two homes (Nesconset is unincorporated). While COL is high everywhere and there's certainly no "perfect" place to live, Smithtown is a nice town with a lot of municipal benefits, SD included, and Nesconset is a safe and wonderfully unfussy community.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalvillagegirl View Post
We don't have kids yet, but we had a choice between a larger home in Nesconset zoned for Sachem and a smaller one zoned for Smithtown. While SD wasn't the main determining factor, we are very happy we ultimately went with the Smithtown SD house. In terms of academic rankings (state, national and independent) Smithtown is a highly regarded school district. Taxes were not a significant difference between the two homes (Nesconset is unincorporated). While COL is high everywhere and there's certainly no "perfect" place to live, Smithtown is a nice town with a lot of municipal benefits, SD included, and Nesconset is a safe and wonderfully unfussy community.
Considering value for money spent, I think the Smithtown section of Nesconset is one of the best buys in that part of Long Island (mid/towards Eastern Suffolk).

Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Considering value for money spent, I think the Smithtown section of Nesconset is one of the best buys in that part of Long Island (mid/towards Eastern Suffolk).
I completely agree. Thank you for a great response!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island