Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM

344 posts, read 717,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
.comparing changing diapers in a heated nursery at 3 am to dogs on half an acre at 3 am and 10 degrees...pfft.
You've said this twice now. Why would you ever have to pick up dog crap at 3 AM? Why are you awake at 3 AM? Why are your dogs awake at 3 AM? Why are your dogs outside at 3 AM? Please explain to us situation in which you and your dogs find yourselves outside at 3 AM.

You are being lazy. I'm a new dog owner; one of the things I had to accept was going outside when it's brutally cold to pick up my dog's crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,059 times
You should bring it up and nicely, but firmly ask them to take care of things on the path and on the patio.

I'm not sure why people bring up about "there is no law I have to do this"...... If a landlord wants to keep a tenant in your property, you will have to make accommodations that aren't defined by any law.

IMHO, from my armchair quarterbacking and having not had a dog. I get that its cold and snowy and cleaning up after them is a pain in this weather.... however, the path and patio should be cleaned up daily, if the dog is pooping there. There is the whole rest of the grassed area not in the tenants path or direct sight. If you don't have a tenant, alls fair game

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM

133 posts, read 283,554 times
Quote:
It has been bitter cold part of the few weeks the tenant has been renting and there has been snow cover. We have 4 dogs and while we clean up poop daily in warm months, we tend to wait longer between poopsicle pick ups. Ever try picking up a poop frozen to the ground, or digging through the snow looking for it?
yes I have. I have two dogs. I pick up almost every day. If its pouring rain or a blizzard I'll wait until the next day but I don't let it go more that two days at most. I guess I'm funny that way, I don't like to live in filth. Anyone who's trained a dog from a pup would understand while house training you need to take the pup out every two hours. That means getting up every two or three hours a night. The general rule is a pup can hold its urine one hour for every month old it is. I usually have my dogs house trained within a week to ten days of bringing them home.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
You've said this twice now. Why would you ever have to pick up dog crap at 3 AM? Why are you awake at 3 AM? Why are your dogs awake at 3 AM? Why are your dogs outside at 3 AM? Please explain to us situation in which you and your dogs find yourselves outside at 3 AM.

You are being lazy. I'm a new dog owner; one of the things I had to accept was going outside when it's brutally cold to pick up my dog's crap.
First of all, dogs DO sometimes need to go to the bathroom at night for whatever reason.

Second of all, that's the beauty of being a homeowner. You can allow your dogs to poop in your own yard and pick it up whenever you feel like it.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times
Quote:
Do you have multiple dogs and a large backyard? Would you be outside in 10 degrees with a flashlight at 2AM while your dogs run about deciding where to poop? Have you tried chiseling up frozen poop? Come 32 degrees and the thawing poop is promptly picked up. Anything which hasn't frozen to the ground is picked up every 2-3 days. Yes, it is my yard, it isn't being lazy. It is being practical in this weather.

How do you handle things when your neighbor's cat, or a local feral, sprays your plants and/or poops in your garden? Are cat owners above all this? They're not cleaning up after their cat, not walking it, and subjecting everyone within the cat's territorial perimeter to said cat's fecal matter. There are several cats killing birds, crapping in my flower beds, having raucous fights and sex at all hours of the night waking us up. I've got my dogs contained and bring them in if they get noisy, pick up their poop, but according to you, I'm lazy.

The landlord is wrong to not clean up the yard and access on a regular basis for the tenant, and to subject the tenant to a 24/7 poop-a-rama. The landlord is also wrong renting a basement apartment.

Nope and that's exactly why I don't have a dog! I don't want to have to get up and walk it in the rain, snow, cold, hot weather. I don't want to have to pick up piles of crap.

If you don't want to clean after it, then don't have it. It's that simple.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post

My dogs were/are always out at 3:00 AM..... even 4, 5 or 6 AM.

I worked afternoon turn and didn't get home until 1:00 AM. I let them out when I got home, fed them, let them out again before I went to bed at 3 or 4 AM.

And I still do, now that I am retired. I was born a night owl and worked the PM shift by choice.

And.........I have had as many as 4 dogs at one time and never picked up their poop......nature takes care of that......it dissipates into the ground. I have a HUGE fenced in back yard and the dogs never did their business so close to the house that I could see it or smell it. When they were very old or sick, then they would go close to the house.........and, at those times, I would just pick it up with a small shovel and fling it over the fence into the field.

35 years ago, when I had one dog and rented.......I ALWAYS picked up the poop, immediately........and, if I was in that landlord's position I would also pick it up.....but, in the situation I have now, there is normally no need to pick up poop.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 AM

133 posts, read 283,554 times
[quote=Annie53;33246902]My dogs were/are always out at 3:00 AM..... even 4, 5 or 6 AM.

And.........I have had as many as 4 dogs at one time and never picked up their poop......nature takes care of that......it dissipates into the ground. I have a HUGE fenced in back yard and the dogs never did their business so close to the house that I could see it or smell it. When they were very old or sick, then they would go close to the house.........and, at those times, I would just pick it up with a small shovel and fling it over the fence into the field.

I bet you throw a wicked backyard BBQ. glad we're not neighbors.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post

I bet you throw a wicked backyard BBQ. glad we're not neighbors.
I can assure you, my neighbors have never given my dog's poop a second thought as it doesn't affect them in anyway whatsoever.

BTW.......vegetarian's don't throw BBQ's......my neighbor's that have dogs don't pick up the poop either..........glad I don't live in a developement where I am right on top of my neighbor.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My dogs were/are always out at 3:00 AM..... even 4, 5 or 6 AM.

:

Well that's actually a major hazard that you apparently don't know about and apparently simply been lucky about. When you allow dog's feces to just sit and be absorbed into the ground, that is exactly how worms and parasites grow. Dog's feces can harbor some very harmful organisms. It is NOT the same as horse manure, which humans cannot contract any diseases from (which is why it's used as fertilizer). Dog feces, on the other hand, can be extremely harmful to humans if it contains certain parasites since humans CAN contract many of a dog's parasites.I pick up my dog's feces immediately, as I don't want to infect my yard or my family. B/c once you get roundworm, and other parasite eggs into the soil, it remains there for years and can keep reinfecting your pet and put your family at risk too. And my dog also gets a monthly dewormer but it doesn't cover all the parasites out there.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
vegetarian's don't throw BBQ's......
I hope you are not growing any vegetables where your dogs are defecating. That is extremely EXTREMELY hazardous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1138618.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island