U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 125,034 times

Advertisements

Are there people who live and work in LI who don't own a car that solely use public transportation back and forth to work?

Is this feasable?

Last edited by kelforn; 11-29-2007 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,795,214 times
If you live right next to a train station it's doable, provided you work in Manhattan. Taking a train anywhere else is either impossible or takes forever. You can take a bus to the train stations too, but they run on odd schedules and are supposedly pretty unreliable....personally don't know as I've never been on one!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM

8,489 posts, read 19,730,581 times
There is a whole subset of people who use the public buses. Many are youngish who do not have cars. Some are on SSI disability and ride for 50 cents. The bus system allows them to go to the doctors or to the malls. Young moms on pubic assistance. Older people who no longer wish to drive. These are the people for whom the buses are a lifeline. It is a pleasure to have my taxes pay for these buses instead of for guns and other things.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,038,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There is a whole subset of people who use the public buses. Many are youngish who do not have cars. Some are on SSI disability and ride for 50 cents. The bus system allows them to go to the doctors or to the malls. Young moms on pubic assistance. Older people who no longer wish to drive. These are the people for whom the buses are a lifeline. It is a pleasure to have my taxes pay for these buses instead of for guns and other things.
Here in the Town of Huntington, the HART bus system will actually pick up and drive door to door by appointment for the elderly and handicapped. It's a great service. My mother in law uses it all the time.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM

134 posts, read 174,722 times
I take the LIRR to work into Manhattan every day. The rush hour trains are on schedule for the most part....although in snow and heavy rain there's almost always delays.

Anyway, it beats sitting in traffic.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:49 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,438,801 times
I did it for five years.

I had it worked so that, if I got to everyplace ontime, I could get from Farmingdale to Plainview in 1:15.

But, if the LIRR was late, or I felt like stopping off someplace, it could take more than two hours.

Of course, by car, it would have been 25 minutes.

In a word, it's unforgiving. It's no joke, on a work night, to wind up getting home at 9:30 PM, and have to cook dinner, relax, etc., and have to be up at 6:20 AM the next day.

Yeah, yeah, I know..."whiny Dedalus...just get a car and drive, then!"

Complaining now, because that gasoline is $3.30 a gallon? Sorry to break the news; that's cheap. And, that cheapness depends on political stability in that haven of human harmony...the Middle East.

Perhaps this latest peace initiative will succeed. And, perhaps, they'll discover all kinds of new oil reserves. Wanna bet on it?

Then, move to present day LI. My take is, just as sure as God made little green apples with worms in them, the Mideast is going to be the site of multiple nuclear strikes by terrorists (there's enough missing Pu-239 from the former USSR to build 100+ Hiroshima bombs) and world oil reserves will dry up...and that '$3.30' is gonna turn into an '$8.30'.

If y'all got half a brain, prepare NOW. Get some decent mass transit going NOW. Myself, I'm gonna be in the Bronx, brewing up Bio-Diesel...laughing at your sorry SUV driving asses.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I did it for five years.

I had it worked so that, if I got to everyplace ontime, I could get from Farmingdale to Plainview in 1:15.

But, if the LIRR was late, or I felt like stopping off someplace, it could take more than two hours.

Of course, by car, it would have been 25 minutes.

In a word, it's unforgiving. It's no joke, on a work night, to wind up getting home at 9:30 PM, and have to cook dinner, relax, etc., and have to be up at 6:20 AM the next day.

Yeah, yeah, I know..."whiny Dedalus...just get a car and drive, then!"

Complaining now, because that gasoline is $3.30 a gallon? Sorry to break the news; that's cheap. And, that cheapness depends on political stability in that haven of human harmony...the Middle East.

Perhaps this latest peace initiative will succeed. And, perhaps, they'll discover all kinds of new oil reserves. Wanna bet on it?

Then, move to present day LI. My take is, just as sure as God made little green apples with worms in them, the Mideast is going to be the site of multiple nuclear strikes by terrorists (there's enough missing Pu-239 from the former USSR to build 100+ Hiroshima bombs) and world oil reserves will dry up...and that '$3.30' is gonna turn into an '$8.30'.

If y'all got half a brain, prepare NOW. Get some decent mass transit going NOW. Myself, I'm gonna be in the Bronx, brewing up Bio-Diesel...laughing at your sorry SUV driving asses.
There's alot that we probably don't know going on behind the scenes.

As a country we have to do better with having the availability of mass transit even if it's 50% as good as it is in Europe - yeah, a pipe dream I know.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 PM

I know about the transportation into NYC from Long Island.

I need to know of people who work in Long Island - do they use public transportation to get to work within Long Island?

A Long Island home address to a Long Island Work address.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelforn View Post
I know about the transportation into NYC from Long Island.

I need to know of people who work in Long Island - do they use public transportation to get to work within Long Island?

A Long Island home address to a Long Island Work address.
Unless you live in a certain spot and work in another certain spot it'd be very hard/time consuming. Like for instance if you lived in Massapequa and worked in Sayville you could take the train and it'd be a very quick trip...but if you lived in Massapequa and worked in Oyster Bay you'd have to take the train to Jamaica (Queens), and wait for a transfer back east to Oyster Bay, then take a bus from the station...probably over a 2 hour trip for a commute that is roughly the same distance (mileage-wise) as the first I mentioned. Most employers are also based along or near the LIE/middle of the island or in industrial/commercial "parks", trains and buses usually do not run to these areas.

If you know where you're living/working post that and I'll let you know how rough it would be.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,873,642 times
Public transportation (in town) is a joke on Long Island & other 'suburbs' around the USA. I don't get the resistance to mass transit & in town buses that actually stop and pick people up in 'convenient' areas. I don't mean just along main roads like Sunrise then loop you back to the mall to reconnect to some other useless bus that never goes where you need to..

Our family cannot afford a second car. The buses up here do not go into my town. It's stupid. They really don't understand how 'reasonable' bus service around town can cut down on oil/gas/pollution.

If I drive 10 minutes to the next town in NH they run a FREE (yes FREE) bus that loops all the major areas up and down the town & outer towns.

I used to take the bus in NY (for occasional mall runs) till they changed the service.

No one really wants to solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island