Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times

Advertisements

I wonder why they are surprised when these findings come out. It hits the news for a few days people are on their best behavior and then it's back to business as usual.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Long Island Rail Road - Overtime and Other Time and Attendance Matters Found in the Use of Certain Federal Funds [Issued 01/24/14][NY]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Why not release the name of the wrong doers to the general public along with a picture and their address? Make them out to be criminals and expose them. That should be a huge deterrent.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I wonder why they are surprised when these findings come out. It hits the news for a few days people are on their best behavior and then it's back to business as usual.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Long Island Rail Road - Overtime and Other Time and Attendance Matters Found in the Use of Certain Federal Funds [Issued 01/24/14][NY]
Shocking.

The mentality of thess guys is that the public is a cash cow for them to squeeze at every opportunity.

This overtime nonsense isn't only going on in the LIRR. It's getting milked all over the place by other public employees.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 AM

414 posts, read 808,394 times
Old news as far as the LIRR is concerned. Anyone think that it will ever be run properly and efficiently? Didn't think so.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Why not release the name of the wrong doers to the general public along with a picture and their address? Make them out to be criminals and expose them. That should be a huge deterrent.

I don't work overtime (or get paid overtime really), so I have no self-interest in this.
However, I have a question.

Why is overtime the fault of the employee? How is the employee a criminal?

I am a manager of 10, overtime is an available tool for management to use when there is work that cannot be done within the 40 base hours. Could be an extra meeting or project that might add a couple of hours to a day, or several days. This work isnt often enough to warrant hiring an additional employee. You are paying an existing employee a 50% additional, but that has to be weighed against the cost of hiring and paying a new employee, plus that new employees taxes and benefits (if there are any)

Excessive overtime isnt the fault of the employee, its the fault of the manager. Newsday always spins it the other way. The employees dont dictate the schedule, they just elect to work the available overtime, often times they cannot refuse it.

Where I am, OT has to be justified by me, not my staff, if it's deemed excessive I have to answer to it. Someone really should tell newsday that.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I don't work overtime (or get paid overtime really), so I have no self-interest in this.

I am a manager of 10, overtime is an available tool for management to use when there is work that cannot be done within the 40 base hours. Could be an extra meeting or project that might add a couple of hours to a day, or several days. This work isnt often enough to warrant hiring an additional employee. You are paying an existing employee a 50% additional, but that has to be weighed against the cost of hiring and paying a new employee, plus that new employees taxes and benefits (if there are any)

Excessive overtime isnt the fault of the employee, its the fault of the manager. Newsday always spins it the other way. The employees dont dictate the schedule, they just elect to work the available overtime, often times they cannot refuse it.

Where I am, OT has to be justified by me, not my staff, if it's deemed excessive I have to answer to it. Someone really should tell newsday that.
I couldn't agree more. The worker shouldnt get paid for his time? Godforbid the company hires enough workers to keep overtime down. This is typical in alot of companies.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 PM

19 posts, read 34,902 times
Just reading the key points, you could tell that they were defrauding the system.

Key Findings
  • In certain instances, the LIRR did not efficiently manage its Recovery Act funds to ensure that they were used for authorized purposes, and that they were properly monitored to prevent fraud, waste and abuse. Due to the poor controls over its time and attendance, employees might be paid for overtime that is unnecessary and/or not worked. For example, Department management did not always know the whereabouts of their field employees and one supervisor misinformed auditors by stating that an employee was working when, in fact, he was not at work.
  • We identified three employees (an assistant track supervisor and two track foremen) who worked an excessive amount of overtime (from 18 to 24 hours in one day) on two separate occasions. Working an excessive amount of hours consecutively, without an adequate offduty rest period, may degrade the efficiency and effectiveness of work performance and could compromise worker and passenger safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I couldn't agree more. The worker shouldnt get paid for his time? Godforbid the company hires enough workers to keep overtime down. This is typical in alot of companies.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

Sure, you're right but so is Snewsday. You see, taking advantage of OT at the onerous NY union labor rates is human nature and it is enabled by inept management (which is something the LIRR has alot of). The rank and file do what they're asked to do by managers. Only they do it slow enough to ring up the OT... Ka-ching!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
It's not a question of quantity, it's a question of productivity. Just wipe out the 10:30 and 2:30 breaks and see how much more productive these guys are.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Management & employees can be in cahoots. Very often especially in these blue-collar jobs, the managers were their friends/peers at one point. When the money comes from the public or the state rather than "their company", it would not be surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island