Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

52 posts, read 112,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That is an old wives tale. Viruses and bacteria make you sick, not cold. And 68 is not cold. I am ALWAYS cold and my house is at 68 unless it's frigid outside. My thermostats are brand new digital and read the indoor temp just fine. Put on a sweater or live with the high bills. Don't know what else to tell you. Heat and light your house and you're gonna pay for it, especially with some of the highest utility rates in the nation. My kids never get sick by the way. Even my former 4 pounder. Hope for a warmer winter next year. This one has been the coldest on record for the entire country so far.
Im sure you missed the point of my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM

344 posts, read 717,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLIPerson24 View Post
Im sure you missed the point of my question.
I think s/he is trying to tell you that there is no magical way to keep your house at 73 and not pay high heating bills. If you would like to reduce your bills, the easiest way (but the only one) is to lower your thermostat and if you feel cold while watching TV, put on a blanket or something.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLIPerson24 View Post
And thats whats really strange to me, only thing with force air you need a blower in the furnace which is electric, but I cant see it taking so much electricity...

Here are the bills from end of sept till now:

10/24/13 -- 132$ (678) Estimate
11/20/13 -- 134$ (727) Actual
12/21/13 -- 126$ (647) Estimate
01/27/13 -- 323$ (1575) Actual.
Was curious myself about a blower fan so I found these:
Quote:
a basic gas furnace has the largest electricity draw from the blower fan. Next would probably be the exhaust fan if your unit has one. All thats left would be any electrinic controls that monitor the system and turn it on and off on. your furncace should have a specification tag inside that should list some electrical spec’s and if you can monitor how long it runs each day and average that out over the year (every day will be different) then use ohms law: Ohm's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to calculate an average you could come up with a round figure in what ever terms you want it in Amps, watts, volts, kilowatt hours, etc.
And Gas Furnace Electricity Needs - Q&A - Mosby Building Arts
electrical - How much energy will continuously running a furnace fan use? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

I'd be surprised if 2 [even if large] fans spinning would cause your electrical usage to double. Maybe you can also compare your own readings with and without the forced hot air blowing in a few given hours.

I had put a spreadsheet together (I guess I am curious a lot) that looks like this so if you give me draw numbers from the furnace maybe I can estimate it for you. But using 600 watts (as in the example above) running 24/7 for a month (which it doesn't actually) at our avg rate of .21c/kwh it'd be an additional ~$90. (+400 kwh)
Attached Thumbnails
High LIPA/PSEG Bill and National Grid-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ovi8; 01-30-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
I think s/he is trying to tell you that there is no magical way to keep your house at 73 and not pay high heating bills. If you would like to reduce your bills, the easiest way (but the only one) is to lower your thermostat and if you feel cold while watching TV, put on a blanket or something.
Yeah you also missed the point. I understand the gas bill i dont understand elec bill.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

electrical - How much energy will continuously running a furnace fan use? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

I'd be surprised if 2 [even if large] fans spinning would cause your electrical usage to double.

I had put a spreadsheet together (I guess I am curious a lot) that looks like this so if you give me draw numbers from the furnace maybe I can estimate it for you. But using 600 watts (as in the example above) running 24/7 for a month (which it doesn't actually) at our avg rate of .21c/kwh it'd be an additional ~$90. (+400 kwh) Maybe you can also compare your own readings with and without the forced hot air blowing in a few given hours.
Wow ok I will get this info, the issue is I think my 2 high effecency condensing furnaces use about 2k watts each. I will send you some info I found. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM

254 posts, read 436,439 times
I would agree with the others who suggested that because the prior readings were estimates, now the actual usage numbers were obviously well off the estimates. It's happened to us all!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

I'd be surprised if 2 [even if large] fans spinning would cause your electrical usage to double. Maybe you can also compare your own readings with and without the forced hot air blowing in a few given hours.

I had put a spreadsheet together (I guess I am curious a lot) that looks like this so if you give me draw numbers from the furnace maybe I can estimate it for you. But using 600 watts (as in the example above) running 24/7 for a month (which it doesn't actually) at our avg rate of .21c/kwh it'd be an additional ~$90. (+400 kwh)

Ok so here is the information I found that closely resembles my furnace.

http://www.taitem.com/wp-content/upl...e_20130507.pdf

Line L. Based on this I have about 2k watts used per blower per furnace. So using this calculator Costs Calculator I see that at 20 cents per KWh I'm at about $3.20 per day for 8 hours of use on a single furnace.. I`m actually thinking 8 hours is low, lately it has been working what seems like all the time, but lets say avg between the 2 is 8 hours so we are talking 16 hours at $6.40 per day x 37 days(last bill) its $236.80 and the bill was around $323.

What do you guys think ? Am I on the right track here ? Did I get screwed with getting high efficiency furnaces ? and they are really not that efficient ?

Just for reference he is my furnace http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/docum...4041105102.pdf and model is *9MPX080J16

Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,176 times
install a new thermostat which keep history of when and for how long u furnaces kicks in, etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
install a new thermostat which keep history of when and for how long u furnaces kicks in, etc.
LOL, I have a Nest and 2 Honeywell WIFI thermostats. Brand new and with all the history and graphs needed. My issue is I know that Gas bill is high due to cold and its running a lot, I`m trying to figure out why electric is so high. Thanks for input !

Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM

161 posts, read 297,172 times
from my bill, its more like $0.24 per kW/h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island