Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM

159 posts, read 248,778 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We have been looking online at some homes in Islip (Google Maps just says "Islip", not "East" or "Central"). All of the homes that look promising are between the Southern State and 27A, which is Main Street, and they are all west of Irish Lane (Im using Google Maps to try to explain the area, so Im sorry if thats not a main and familiar road. I can also say they are all west of Carleton Ave, if that helps). Any thoughts on this particular area when it comes to crime? Schools? General info on this area? Any reasons why we shouldn't look here, or even better, why YOU wouldn't?

I tried reading some of the other posts about Islip and I see many people saying that Central Islip is a terrible area. I'm wondering if the same applies to the area that Im referring to.

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Central Islip and Islip are two different places. Main Street in Islip proper is cute, and the Islip School District (again, Islip, not Central Islip) is small, fairly solid, but not necessarily one of the "premier" districts on the Island.

From a safety/resale value perspective, look for homes as far away from the border with Central Islip as possible.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Central Islip and Islip are two different places. Main Street in Islip proper is cute, and the Islip School District (again, Islip, not Central Islip) is small, fairly solid, but not necessarily one of the "premier" districts on the Island.

From a safety/resale value perspective, look for homes as far away from the border with Central Islip as possible.
Thanks for the reply. You are basically saying to go as west, south, and close to Main Street as possible, for a better area, correct?

Thanks!!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times
The area is perfectly fine. I live there my entire life until this summer. We were actually searching for houses in Islip before my husband's job situation changed. I don't know your budget, but once in a while you can find a good deal south of 27A; you just have to watch for flooding in certain areas.

What I liked about Islip: access to everything, even when I didn't have a car (easy to get places by public transit); having the train within walking distance and still within decent commutable distance; a very shoppable Main Street with good eating and entertainment options; plenty of amenities and access points (Sunrise, Southern State, beaches) within a five-mile radius; and caring neighbors.

Crime is fairly low, although there seems to be an uptick in houses/cars being robbed, so I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked. But I never felt unsafe and I've walked around all hours of the day.

It's one of the more affordable areas on the South Shore where you can find a safe neighborhood and a walkable downtown. While East Islip has similar housing options, its business area is much more spread out and not as walkable.

If you need a broker recommendation, PM me. I used someone who lives in this Islips and knows the area like the back of her hand.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
The area is perfectly fine. I live there my entire life until this summer. We were actually searching for houses in Islip before my husband's job situation changed. I don't know your budget, but once in a while you can find a good deal south of 27A, but you just have to watch for flooding in certain areas.

What I liked about Islip: access to everything, even when I didn't have a car (easy to get places by public transit); having the train within walking distance and still within decent commutable distance; a very shoppable Main Street with good eating and entertainment options; plenty of amenities and access points (Sunrise, Southern State, beaches) within a five-mile radius; and caring neighbors.

Crime is fairly low, although there seems to be an uptick in houses/cars being robbed, so I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked. But I never felt unsafe and I've walked around all hours of the day.

It's one of the more affordable areas on the South Shore where you can find a safe neighborhood and a walkable downtown. While East Islip has similar housing options, its business area is much more spread out and not as walkable.
Thanks so much for your post. This is the exact kind of info I was hoping for!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru50 View Post
Hello All,

We have been looking online at some homes in Islip (Google Maps just says "Islip", not "East" or "Central"). All of the homes that look promising are between the Southern State and 27A, which is Main Street, and they are all west of Irish Lane (Im using Google Maps to try to explain the area, so Im sorry if thats not a main and familiar road. I can also say they are all west of Carleton Ave, if that helps). Any thoughts on this particular area when it comes to crime? Schools? General info on this area? Any reasons why we shouldn't look here, or even better, why YOU wouldn't?

I tried reading some of the other posts about Islip and I see many people saying that Central Islip is a terrible area. I'm wondering if the same applies to the area that Im referring to.

Thanks all!!
I live in the area you are referring too, it's very nice. We don't have kids but the SD is good. CI is like night and day compared to Islip. I live 3 blocks south of the East Islip Stop and shop. the area is nice and I have lived here 11 years. I am happy with my choice of neighborhood. Some of the homes off of main street like behind Saint Marks church are more expensive and the homes are bigger. The area is really nice but taxes are higher over there.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I live in the area you are referring too, it's very nice. We don't have kids but the SD is good. CI is like night and day compared to Islip. I live 3 blocks south of the East Islip Stop and shop. the area is nice and I have lived here 11 years. I am happy with my choice of neighborhood. Some of the homes off of main street like behind Saint Marks church are more expensive and the homes are bigger. The area is really nice but taxes are higher over there.
Thanks so much for the info. Were going to drive around this weekend to get a real feel for ourselves, but I am now very excited & optimistic!! Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Been here for 13 years. Wouldn't trade it for any other LI town.

3 mins to all major road ways, enough in town to get anything you need, nice little main street that keeps on getting a little bigger, solid schools, small town feel, town beach on the bay, 8 mins to Robert Moses beach, next month begins a major renovation of all schools including 2 turf fields, etc.

Be careful on homes south of Montauk. I hear the flood insurance is a killer now.

If you want a big yard look north of Sunrise Hwy between 111 and Carleton Ave. Most are 1/2 acre+.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

3 mins to all major road ways, enough in town to get anything you need, nice little main street that keeps on getting a little bigger, solid schools, small town feel, town beach on the bay, 8 mins to Robert Moses beach, next month begins a major renovation of all schools including 2 turf fields, etc.

Be careful on homes south of Montauk. I hear the flood insurance is a killer now.

If you want a big yard look north of Sunrise Hwy between 111 and Carleton Ave. Most are 1/2 acre+.
Thanks so much!!! Im loving the feedback. I took a virtual tour of the streets on Google Earth because I truly have no idea of the area, and I love the look of the well maintained streets & homes, but I was just concerned because of all the talk of Central Islip being so bad, and I dont really know where 1 begins and the other ends.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

I just realized that the home that I like the best (from the pictures online, anyway) is exactly there! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: