Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I added a few more in red.
Head of the Harbor and Old Field are missing. While they lie in St James and Setauket zips respectively, they are incorporated villages whise residents are very wealthy. Put them in the top level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM

5,075 posts, read 3,974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I suppose as a part of this thread it should be defined what's considered rich...to me rich=being able to support at least an upper-middle class lifestyle without being dependent on income. I'm sure different people have different definitions...
Good point. I think this thread is looking at the rich, upper middle, middle, lower middle, etc. towns without concern with those who would have to move out and sell if they lost their incomes (I suspect that would be many many folks in any case) or those who bought long ago and find themselves living in 'rich', etc towns despite relatively lower personal incomes (and that would be many folks also).

Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Maybe i've confused Centre Island with some place. Sorry about that
Quite all right. And FYI it is a neat place to drive thru - the waterfront homes are breathtaking (don't be fooled by their police station - the road is public that loops thru it - just drive slow with the low MPH signs). It used to be said that the wealthy there had winter staff (when the homes were unoccupied) and the merely rich had summer staff.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Good point. I think this thread is looking at the rich, upper middle, middle, lower middle, etc. towns without concern with those who would have to move out and sell if they lost their incomes (I suspect that would be many many folks in any case) or those who bought long ago and find themselves living in 'rich', etc towns despite relatively lower personal incomes (and that would be many folks also).
One thought I had was that the OP might be basing this on general appearances and aesthetics as opposed to an income derived parameter. S/he asked about the area around the Amityville horror house - an area which (IMHO) visually suggests that residents have a very comfortable income level.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM

342 posts, read 1,095,259 times
Mount Sinai is not on the list. I'd put it in the Middle-Middle Class to Upper Middle Class towns. I'd also put Miller Place in that category.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM

23 posts, read 33,619 times
I wouldn't combine all Hewlett's in the Rich Towns category. While Hewlett Harbor/Neck/Bay Park certainly belong there, Hewlett itself is more on the line with Woodmere.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:32 PM

202 posts, read 265,624 times
I would say majority of Garden City and Rockville Centre is upper middle class and 'high-end' upper middle class with some wealthy, where as Manhasset and Great Neck appear to have a strong mix of high-end upper middle class and wealthy.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM

325 posts, read 738,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

As to the recent home sales, every single one was over 925K and 4 were over 2M. Another good link.

Gotta agree with Prestigious Reputability more now that I see your stats. Thanks.
Huh? 37 houses (about 1/3 of recent sales) were under 800k.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post

A very unsound metric - houses on the market represent only a small fraction of the total households in any given place. Additionally, "rich" people don't live in 1-3m houses, working professionals do.

Also, you're wrong. Of the 17 houses currently listed, 7 are priced under 1m.

About half the recent home sales in CSH were under 1m.

Quick Commenter:

It is certainly correct that you found 7 of 17 CSH homes actually below 1M...it turns out 1 of these 7 is at 975K and another 1 of these 7 is at 995K and another 1 of these 7 is at 999K. That is precisely what is meant by the word essentially. Good link.

As to the recent home sales, every single one was over 925K and 4 were over 2M. Another good link.

Gotta agree with Prestigious Reputability more now that I see your stats. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Huh? 37 houses (about 1/3 of recent sales) were under 800k.
Your first link proved the price of homes is essentially 1M+ right now in CSH

Your second page linked showed 25 homes all priced over 925K

You have made your point about the high cost of homes in CSH.Thanks

Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM

883 posts, read 3,723,035 times
Not sure why it matters so much what percentage of CSH houses are over or under $1mil- there are plenty in each category and even if a house is over a million, chances are it's an upper middle class (not rich) family moving in. MANY of my friends are currently looking in CSH in price ranges up to $1.8 mil and every single one of them is a working professional family. Yes, they are successful and earn A LOT of money but they are not rich- they need those jobs to sustain their lifestyle. That makes them upper middle class, at least by my definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island