Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM

192 posts, read 354,823 times

Advertisements

@kmrlongisland: I read an article about a Boston law firm posting a f/t attorney position with a $10,000 per year salary. Hundreds of young attorneys applied. Does that mean that firms can only offer $10,000 per year to its attorneys from now on? No, it means that the economy is really bad right now. This Boston firm contemplates enough turnaround that they are willing to offer such a low salary...other firms are thinking more long term about retention and are willing to offer more to get who they want. In today's economy,every opening yields tons of applications because lots of people feel forced to apply for jobs they wouldn't normally consider. Did I really need to explain this?

Think reasonably about the teachers that you know. I'm sure most of them could do something else if they wanted. Future generations of potential teachers will not want to compete idjobs are scarce and the districts do not have much to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
[quote=sneakyvegan;26379158Think reasonably about the teachers that you know. I'm sure most of them could do something else if they wanted. .[/quote]

Something that would require them to work 50 weeks a year without every dicky holiday off (I think I got 7 paid holidays when I worked f/t) and fund their own healthcare and retirement.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM

31 posts, read 53,262 times
What's with the complaining of teachers salaries on Long Island? $100K should be an average income on Long Island because the cost of living is among the highest in the country. I don't understand why people are complaining about teacher and administrator salaries when the average pharmaceutical CEO makes $2 million a year..with that money you can have more money for retirement than a teacher pension! I don't see why you're so mad about high taxes paying teacher salaries when your health insurance pays pharmaceutical CEOs million dollar salary.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceandFire View Post
What's with the complaining of teachers salaries on Long Island? $100K should be an average income on Long Island because the cost of living is among the highest in the country. I don't understand why people are complaining about teacher and administrator salaries when the average pharmaceutical CEO makes $2 million a year..with that money you can have more money for retirement than a teacher pension! I don't see why you're so mad about high taxes paying teacher salaries when your health insurance pays pharmaceutical CEOs million dollar salary.
Because the salary of these individuals does not cause an increase in taxes and diminishment of services to the tax payers. Education is a public service job paid for by the residents and abused in many cases by the unions and school districts themselves. They should lose their ability to tax, be required to submit a budget to the local they represent and learn to live within their allocated funds.

Let me put my soap box away...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
@kmrlongisland: I read an article about a Boston law firm posting a f/t attorney position with a $10,000 per year salary. Hundreds of young attorneys applied. Does that mean that firms can only offer $10,000 per year to its attorneys from now on? No, it means that the economy is really bad right now. This Boston firm contemplates enough turnaround that they are willing to offer such a low salary...other firms are thinking more long term about retention and are willing to offer more to get who they want. In today's economy,every opening yields tons of applications because lots of people feel forced to apply for jobs they wouldn't normally consider. Did I really need to explain this?

Think reasonably about the teachers that you know. I'm sure most of them could do something else if they wanted. Future generations of potential teachers will not want to compete idjobs are scarce and the districts do not have much to offer.
Point taken. What I am trying to express is the compensation protection that teachers enjoy is provided by legislative action only. We really don't know what the real cost is of a specific level of quality. We need to let some market dynamics creep in to provide a reality check.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Because the salary of these individuals does not cause an increase in taxes and diminishment of services to the tax payers. Education is a public service job paid for by the residents and abused in many cases by the unions and school districts themselves. They should lose their ability to tax, be required to submit a budget to the local they represent and learn to live within their allocated funds.

Let me put my soap box away...
And you're directly paying the pharmaceutical CEO salary in your health insurance and taxes (Medicare and Medicaid), and the cost of healthcare has skyrocketed in years like property taxes. Yet you continue to pick on teachers.

You guys are so sheltered and don't pay attention to the rest of New York. All of New York State has high property taxes not only Long Island. It's not because of teachers salaries since teachers upstate make an average of $50,000. New York State uses property taxes to help fund Medicaid and other social government programs. That is one of the reasons why Governor Cuomo wants to refund the New York State Medicaid program, so property taxes can be capped or reduced.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 PM

"New York’s State mandates take your tax dollars out of your local community and limit the ability to provide local services.

90 cents of every county property tax dollar goes to Albany to fund State mandates.

Local taxpayers send $7.3 billion, in weekly installments, to help fund the State’s Medicaid program.

In 2012, counties and the City of New York will send more than $11.5 billion in local revenue to subsidize the State Treasury."

Source-
Enough is Enough Albany-NY Demands Mandate Relief. | "OUR COUNTIES ARE NOT YOUR PIGGY BANKS"

Additional sources-
Reforming Medicaid to Relieve Your Property Tax Burden | New York State Senate

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011100...nclick_check=1

Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM

377 posts, read 644,307 times
The theme seems to be that people on this forum wish teaching jobs were like private sector jobs, following the same business principles. The reality is that if there were no unions and the field of education was run like the rest of corporate America or if teaching jobs were like jobs within the private sector following the same business principles/practices/mindset, money would drive the business decisions. Experienced professionals would be laid off and replaced by cheaper, less experienced teachers to save money. Supply vs demand. This is how a business is run. It happens all the time. No loyalty, with a dog eat dog mindset. Business is ALL about the bottom dollar. But is this what we would want for our kids? Inexperienced teachers and no continuity for our kids- teachers who get laid off at whim simply to make way for cheaper new hires?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
The theme seems to be that people on this forum wish teaching jobs were like private sector jobs, following the same business principles. The reality is that if there were no unions and the field of education was run like the rest of corporate America or if teaching jobs were like jobs within the private sector following the same business principles/practices/mindset, money would drive the business decisions. Experienced professionals would be laid off and replaced by cheaper, less experienced teachers to save money. Supply vs demand. This is how a business is run. It happens all the time. No loyalty, with a dog eat dog mindset. Business is ALL about the bottom dollar. But is this what we would want for our kids? Inexperienced teachers and no continuity for our kids- teachers who get laid off at whim simply to make way for cheaper new hires?
I actually do think teaching should be run like a business. Teachers get so much perks and special treatment- i work just as hard if not harder than any teacher- i deserve those same perks as well. And yes you can just say "be a teacher then" but that is not possible bc i dont like really like kids.

Just bc a teacher is new and inexperienced doesnt mean they are bad... And just bc a teacher is experienced doesnt make them good.

Im not jealous of my teacher friends bc they all hate their jobs and i love mine, but like little things like "teacher discounts" and crap- a lot of teachers take advantage of that and buy things for themselves that are not for the classroom. Why should they get discounts on personal items when they are some of the highest paid ppl on Long Island?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just bc a teacher is new and inexperienced doesnt mean they are bad... And just bc a teacher is experienced doesnt make them good.

?
Bingo.

You can't have it both ways - you can't claim a high burnout factor and also claim a new inexperienced teacher is no good. I've had a first year teacher, a second year teacher, and a couple teachers with less than 5 years - all fabulous. They are up on the newest methods, fresh and excited about ALL the kids, not just the easy ones, and believe they are doing important work and making a difference. I'd take that over the "I've got this 20 year old lesson plan and now you're introducing the Core Curriculum?!?!" One of things I noticed where I live now is how young a lot of the teachers are - every one very enthusiastic with tons of energy and they aren't thrown off by changes in the curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island