Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM

112 posts, read 257,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
First I've ever seen it in some 13+ years.

Get out much?

Seriously though, Islip has been using local independent contractors on side streets since the late 90's. From what I understand from people that work in the highway department the idea is to free up the town highway workers to clear the main roads and have the side roads done by these smaller independent folks.

The overall concept is for cost cutting in that you can have more plows out when necessary but not have to keep extra personnel on the payroll. Basically pay for the service only when you need it.

And I agree. They did a great job in our neighborhood too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,442 times
Be thankful to live in Islip hamlet. Brentwood, Central Islip, and parts of Bay Shore don't get shoveled out as quickly...

Old 02-05-2014, 03:18 PM

176 posts, read 406,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
OP has no interest in actually plowing. Just interested in moaning.

Umm, looks to me like the OP actually gave the guys a complement............ and was asking the question to help out friends. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that warrants that kind of response.....call me old fashioned.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
OP has no interest in actually plowing. Just interested in moaning.
Leave the OP's wife out of this.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
I live on a side street and in this years 3 storms we have been plowed by a mix of contractors and actual Town plows.

Once upon a time the Town of Islip had big snow plows that were pretty effective .... nowadays they just seem to use orange Town DPW pickup trucks with a plow on front and they have to do multiple passes to really clear a path.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
I saw them around East Meadow today-- but where do they keep these plows during the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island