Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM

332 posts, read 613,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Its not just the lost pay for not working, but they were fined in ADDITION to the lost wages. Alot of workers dont want to strike, but if the union says strike, they have to, otherwise they are "scabs". Its a double edged sword.
I believe that under the Taylor Law, the strikers get fined 2 days pay for every one they are out on strike.

So that means the lose three days pay for every day struck (the days pay for not being at work, and 2 days fine)

No one wants to go on strike, but sometimes unionized workers feel they have no other choice but to use it as negotiating leverage with management/owners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 01:23 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
I believe that under the Taylor Law, the strikers get fined 2 days pay for every one they are out on strike.

So that means the lose three days pay for every day struck (the days pay for not being at work, and 2 days fine)

No one wants to go on strike, but sometimes unionized workers feel they have no other choice but to use it as negotiating leverage with management/owners
I agree with striking if need be. Workers today are being taken advantage of. The ceo's are robbing the company, while the people who deserve it get screwed. Im not saying the mta workers are not being paid fairly, but the trend of givebacks from all workers in this country just to keep your job is disturbing. There needs to be a compromise.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
I agree with striking if need be. Workers today are being taken advantage of. The ceo's are robbing the company, while the people who deserve it get screwed. Im not saying the mta workers are not being paid fairly, but the trend of givebacks from all workers in this country just to keep your job is disturbing. There needs to be a compromise.
Underfunded public employee pensions and high employee health care costs are bankrupting states. Guess who winds up paying the bill?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Union workers in NYS, esp. in NYC and on LI, are NOT being taken advantage of.

I've not seen such a ridiculous, uninformed statement since I first logged in here at c-d.com. If anything, the unions are inheriting LI, between their guaranteed pensions, luxurious health benefits and generous time off, thanks to corrupt politicians.

Back in the 90's, during that golden age of the internet boom and full employment in our country, union leaders were worried that their rank-and-file would be left in the dust by private business employees. Fast-forward to today, two crashes later, private enterprise has all but left LI, and white collar jobs have been cut in half by employees, with salaries that now trail public employers and union members. That means federal government workers are now earning higher incomes, despite better benefits and job security, than their counterparts in private business. This is a first.

Believe me, the give-backs for white-collar employees have cut right to the bone and they are continuing to cut into muscle now. An $80k LIRR conductor or $110k/yr public school gym teacher is doing a whole load better than someone working in finance or it, with their measy 401ks and non-existent bonuses (thanks Obama).

On top of that, I'm sure you're aware of the 40% excise tax Obama has levied on 'Cadillac' health plans offered by private business... well he exempted unions from the tax! Now that's a real Chicago liberal, pro-labor crooked politician at work!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
I agree with striking if need be. Workers today are being taken advantage of.
THAT is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

I've got a few family members & friends who work in various public sectors from teaching to police....yes, the career isn't a cake walk by any means.

It pretty nice to bank somewhere between 100-180k & looking fwd to retiring in their early 50s. I have to admit, I would fit tooth & nails to protect those salary & fringe benefits.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
THAT is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

I've got a few family members & friends who work in various public sectors from teaching to police....yes, the career isn't a cake walk by any means.

It pretty nice to bank somewhere between 100-180k & looking fwd to retiring in their early 50s. I have to admit, I would fit tooth & nails to protect those salary & fringe benefits.
I have been in public service since 1999. I've never had one 100k year.
I don't think I'm being taken advantage of though. I work in a non union job, and probably do more than what is required of me, but that keeps the job interesting.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Ask the LIRR's management and unions what happened during today's 60 minute delay, with a 'disabled' train, blocking 50% of the westbound rushhour.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Do you think LIRR deserve almost 3% annual raises & no givebacks or work rule changes? Congress does!
Hoping to avert possible LIRR strike, 12 members of Congress urge MTA to soften its demands - NY Daily News

Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM

163 posts, read 246,066 times
This is an interesting situation and both sides could see it blow up in their faces. Cuomo controls the MTA board so their offer is essentially his offer and the current offer mirrors a deal he reached with other unions in the midst of the financial crisis - no raises for 3 years. In some respects, I agree with that - the rest of us suffered in the financial crisis, many lost jobs, many got no raises, some took pay cuts, so it's hard to think that the union is justified in getting retroactive raises. It is an election year and Cuomo knows that (initially) LIers will hold the unions in contempt if they strike, giving him brownie points with the voters. However, he's also got to realize that if a strike lasts more than a week, voters are going to get upset with the whole situation and that's when pols like Cuomo will start to get voter backlash. There is some thinking that Cuomo will not ask for a second arbitration panel and force a strike in March rather than July, because a strike in July would be more economically disruptive to LI with the Hamptons in full swing. The last time the LIRR struck was in 1994 and it lasted two days, I believe. They used school buses to ferry people toward NYC and, of course, that created an absolute traffic nightmare on the LIE. This time around, I suspect many will try to work from home for a while, unless the strike drags on for more than a few days. I honestly believe Cuomo is looking for a strike to prove that he understands voter angst with ever rising costs of living in NYS, including the fare hikes on the MTA and LIRR over the past few years which were fairly significant. He's all about the property tax cap and giving property tax rebates in this election cycle and this would fit right in with that positioning heading into November's elections. I also think the Obama arbitration panel was somewhat sympathetic to the LIRR unions for Obama's own political agenda and I would be shocked if DeBlasio isn't also sympathetic to the unions this year in NYC's contract negotiations for the same reasons.

Last edited by GMS99; 02-20-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
I think I will begin a campaign.....

Show your ticket...say NO STRIKE

Let those lazy conductors know how YOU think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island