Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
We should have three SDs on LI: Nassau, Western and Eastern Suffolk.

This will never happen though. For one, people don't want their kids going to school with "those" kids.

Two, the SDs employee a tremendous amount of people with high-paying jobs. You'd be leveling the LI economy if you cut the administrative staff in half. Without these public sector jobs people are screwed. There are no comparable private sector jobs to be had.
I agree! The school should be COUNTY ran. But, we all base our taxes & home values off of the school district.
We live on L.I. for those "great school districts". Well, then do not complain about the salaries. Because little Jonny is not going to school with "those kids" at any cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Because the pension was earned from the years put in as a teacher or admin or whatever. The district has to petition the state and say they really want this person and the state grants a special waiver to allow the super to make more than the standard 30 grand/year allowed under law. It seems like double dipping, but from the districts POV they need someone with a lifetime of experience, and you don't get that experience without working in ed for 30 plus years, so its a catch 22.

If a super had to give up thier pension in order to work it would take away their incentive and they would just be retired, or go to another state and do the same thing. Or, the district would have to pay the difference in order to lure them to work. In this case both the super AND the district are acting in their own self interest.
When your making that much money, who cares about the pension at that point.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
What the...?!?!

And people lay all the blame on the teachers...

For that salary, they should be supervising multiple school districts.
$279k is only like 2 to 2.5 teachers. I still blame the teacher salaries.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM

176 posts, read 406,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah name me one state that they can "go to and do the same thing."

What other state has the racket they've got here?

Florida?

Come on!
I would suggest NJ, CT, California, Illinois, suburban DC/VA.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
No anger but are 'independent contractors' usually in the teachers pension system? He is. I have always wondered why superintendents and other administrators get to stay in the teachers pension system. Don't they work under an administrator license and administrator certification? Not teacher license and teacher certification. Seems to me they have left the teaching profession (I hear some bomb out in the classroom first and this particular fellow seems to have spent very little if any time as a teacher or even principal in any case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Because the pension was earned from the years put in as a teacher or admin or whatever. The district has to petition the state and say they really want this person and the state grants a special waiver to allow the super to make more than the standard 30 grand/year allowed under law. It seems like double dipping, but from the districts POV they need someone with a lifetime of experience, and you don't get that experience without working in ed for 30 plus years, so its a catch 22.

If a super had to give up thier pension in order to work it would take away their incentive and they would just be retired, or go to another state and do the same thing. Or, the district would have to pay the difference in order to lure them to work. In this case both the super AND the district are acting in their own self interest.
The Syosset situation has absolutely nothing to do with retiring and earning a pension and then returning as a double dipper.

That is another problem altogether but is not at all the Syosset situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island