Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times

Advertisements

You know, when I think of an "Estate Sale", I think of a sale at a house where the homeowner may have lived for 40-60 years and is selling off everything in the house. Things I would imagine being sold would be nice, older/antique QUALITY furntiure, maybe some old crystal, silver, paintings, vintage clothing, vintage hatboxes, etc.

Lately, I've been seeing a large number of listings in local (free) papers or on supermarket bulletin boards for "Estate Sales" that are nothing but yard/garage sales with nothing there more valuable than some toys their kids have outgrown or some used clothing (nothing decent or vintage; mainly stuff that should have been tossed in the Salvation Army bin).

Why do people mislead like this??

Don't list your event as an "Estate Sale" when it is clearly just a sale to get rid of junk you no longer want and isn't worth more than $10 in total!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,943 times
I know what you are talking about and it is always disappointing to go there and see nothing but a glorified garage sale.

I only go to estate sales that are put on by official estate sale companies or whatever you want to call them. Some of those companies are Tag Sales by Mona, Sisters in Charge, Bellport Estate Sales, etc. The best place I found to look was on this site: Estate Sales in New York, NY

Sign up for the email updates! I get to know what is coming up, plus many of these companies put pictures up of the things that are being sold.

I went to a few estate sales and came back with some gems. I got a custom made wine barrel chalkboard that would have easily cost over $400-500 that I got for $45. We got gently used patio furniture, 6 chairs and a table for $300, plus another $45 for a truck rental to get it back to our house.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM

133 posts, read 283,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You know, when I think of an "Estate Sale", I think of a sale at a house where the homeowner may have lived for 40-60 years and is selling off everything in the house. Things I would imagine being sold would be nice, older/antique QUALITY furntiure, maybe some old crystal, silver, paintings, vintage clothing, vintage hatboxes, etc.

Lately, I've been seeing a large number of listings in local (free) papers or on supermarket bulletin boards for "Estate Sales" that are nothing but yard/garage sales with nothing there more valuable than some toys their kids have outgrown or some used clothing (nothing decent or vintage; mainly stuff that should have been tossed in the Salvation Army bin).

Don't list your event as an "Estate Sale" when it is clearly just a sale to get rid of junk you no longer want and isn't worth more than $10 in total!!!!
exactly why I prefer to buy new and not some one elses junk

Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM

246 posts, read 430,555 times
Quote:

I think that it is called an estate sale when a person is deceased and the family members are selling the items they don't want for themselves. You don't have to have nice things to die.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
exactly why I prefer to buy new and not some one elses junk
And where, pray tell, are you going to buy "new" antiques?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
I think that it is called an estate sale when a person is deceased and the family members are selling the items they don't want for themselves. You don't have to have nice things to die.

I'm talking about people who are selling their old clothes and kids' toys to make a few bucks. I explained that in my original post.

And most people selling off someone's stuff wouldn't call it an "estate sale". They would refer to it as a "yard sale" or "garage sale" or ---- better yet ---- keep what you want for yourself and give the rest away to Goodwill.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM

246 posts, read 430,555 times
Quote:
And most people selling off someone's stuff wouldn't call it an "estate sale". They would refer to it as a "yard sale" or "garage sale" or ---- better yet ---- keep what you want for yourself and give the rest away to Goodwill.
Actually, that's exactly what they would call it.

Estate sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
If you want to find some nice stuff, go to Brian's sales. It is not just people's old junk. Click on "upcoming sales" on his website for details and pics:

2MuchStuff4Me.com | Tag Sale & Cleanout Pros!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Actually, that's exactly what they would call it.

Estate sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Going by the information in this link, and by what Amisi stated, the people who are referring to yard sales as estate sales are incorrect. I've been misled a few times. See Estate Sale signs, get to the address, and it's a bunch of homeowners looking to make space and a few bucks by selling the crap they've cleaned out of their basement.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Going by the information in this link, and by what Amisi stated, the people who are referring to yard sales as estate sales are incorrect. I've been misled a few times. See Estate Sale signs, get to the address, and it's a bunch of homeowners looking to make space and a few bucks by selling the crap they've cleaned out of their basement.

That's what I'm saying.... I mean, seriously, your home is your "estate" but that doesn't mean when you're trying to off your kids' old toys and some old clothes and general crap, you should call it an "Estate Sale".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island