Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 AM

161 posts, read 297,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
To a degree, I agree with you. The Catholic Church does need to evolve and I do believe that is happening. Especially with this Pope.

That said, getting married in a Catholic Church is not the same as getting married in Las Vegas. You don't walk in, pay the fee and expect the Church to marry you because it is convenient. There are rules. If 2 other parishes turned you away then maybe the problem was on your end.

If you don't want to follow the rules, find a way around them. You obviously did. And so will the OP.

This had nothing to do with following the rules. We both are Catholic and I went to 12 years of Catholic school, so I know all of the "rules". We lived in Commack at the time and I was not prepared to travel to the Bronx to Pre-Cana to go to my old parish, nor did we want to drive 40 minutes to Nassau to go to her old church. What happened to churches having open arms for newcomers? We didn't go in there all willy nilly saying marry us or else. If we didn't grow up in their parish, they did not want us, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
mitsguy - all forms of sin are intentional. Unless you have never sinned in life then you have intentionally broken rules.

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.
Maybe I should have said that I do not sin with full knowledge and full consent, and then look for ways to game the system, rather than going to Confession and trying to change my ways.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shools164 View Post
Hi there,
My fiance and I are looking to get married on Long Island (preferably Suffolk County). We want a catholic wedding, and know we will have to take part in Pre Cana classes. The thing is I know a lot of Catholic Churches tend to be strict when it comes to living together before marriage, and I really don't want to lie to the priest regarding our living arrangments. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with a more laid back Catholic Church that would still be willing to marry us even if we do live together.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks

"The Episcopal Church Welcomes You".

Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Actually, regular church attendance which is today's form of communal worship is an absolute requirement for all Christians whether one is Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, etc. This is rooted in the 10 Commandments and elsewhere in the bible. In Catholicism specifically, church attendance is required under cannon law. So not attending church or certain other forms of not practicing one's religion is not just breaking the rules of the Catholic church, it is also not adhering to Christianity.

So in light of the above, if everlasting peace is what one is after, the corruption in the Catholic church is a lame excuse to drop out of regular worship and receiving the sacraments particularly when so many others threw away their lives, wealth and careers for nothing else but to go to church and worship as Christians. Given the hardships that the early Christians had to put up with in the past, today's corruption is greatly compensated by having a powerful and organized body that provides the services and doctrine that make worship far more convenient and accessible to millions of people as well as to fight for their religious rights.
Oh well I guess I am going to burn in hell then. I am a big sinner too LOL. So I guess I am not Christian.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Oh well I guess I am going to burn in hell then. I am a big sinner too LOL. So I guess I am not Christian.
The fifth commandment says to remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You choose not to obey. Jesus was a devout Hebrew who diligently worshiped on the Sabbath notwithstanding the hypocrisy of the pharasees and other rabbis of the time. What happens to you when you die is unkown to anyone alive, just as nobody knows what will happen to to anyone who breaks the other commandments. But yes, not attending worship is un-Christian.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

133 posts, read 283,672 times
Quote:
Actually, regular church attendance which is today's form of communal worship is an absolute requirement for all Christians whether one is Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, etc. This is rooted in the 10 Commandments and elsewhere in the bible. In Catholicism specifically, church attendance is required under cannon law. So not attending church or certain other forms of not practicing one's religion is not just breaking the rules of the Catholic church, it is also not adhering to Christianity.

So in light of the above, if everlasting peace is what one is after, the corruption in the Catholic church is a lame excuse to drop out of regular worship and receiving the sacraments particularly when so many others threw away their lives, wealth and careers for nothing else but to go to church and worship as Christians. Given the hardships that the early Christians had to put up with in the past, today's corruption is greatly compensated by having a powerful and organized body that provides the services and doctrine that make worship far more convenient and accessible to millions of people as well as to fight for their religious rights.
What large and powerful organized body is that? The church that repeatedley denies its misconduct? If you think going to church every week and following rules that men made up is going to ensure you a place in heaven, think again. You seem to be a bit of a zealot, which is fine but you should really explore the history of the catholic church from 1000 ad until 1700 or so. I honestly don't think its what Jesus had in mind but its ok if you do.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM

133 posts, read 283,672 times
Quote:
The fifth commandment says to remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You choose not to obey. Jesus was a devout Hebrew who diligently worshiped on the Sabbath notwithstanding the hypocrisy of the pharasees and other rabbis of the time. What happens to you when you die is unkown to anyone alive, just as nobody knows what will happen to to anyone who breaks the other commandments. But yes, not attending worship is un-Christian.
The fifth commandment instructs us to keep the sabbath holy, not go to church. Jesus himself had a very large issue with the Rabbi's running the temple of jerusalem, which by the way are the individuals responsible for his death. I believe he died for our sins but he was killed for political reasons. Thats history you just need to research it.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
What large and powerful organized body is that? The church that repeatedley denies its misconduct? If you think going to church every week and following rules that men made up is going to ensure you a place in heaven, think again. You seem to be a bit of a zealot, which is fine but you should really explore the history of the catholic church from 1000 ad until 1700 or so. I honestly don't think its what Jesus had in mind but its ok if you do.
412,000 priests, 722,000 religious sisters, 221,000 parishes, 54,000 religious brothers in seven continents in 193 countries, more than 1 billion members, more than a millenium in existence. By far the largest heirarchical organization in the entire world.

Don't you get it? Without the church's size and organization, large parts of the world especially in Asia, Africa and Latin America would never have converted to Christianity and would probably have been Muslim by now. Missions in far flung areas would not have been built, churches never have been erected, priests never been sent, schools never been opened, Ireland and Russia would not have become Christian, America and Europe would run out of priests to administer the sacraments.

As to what Jesus had in mind, only Jesus knows. He did instruct - "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit". So yes, in the greater scheme having the organization that the Cathoic church provides is a good thing except to those who do not believe that Jesus instructed the desciples to convert non-believers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
The fifth commandment instructs us to keep the sabbath holy, not go to church. Jesus himself had a very large issue with the Rabbi's running the temple of jerusalem, which by the way are the individuals responsible for his death. I believe he died for our sins but he was killed for political reasons. Thats history you just need to research it.
Keeping the Sabbath holy means going to worship on the Sabbath, as the Jews at that time had done. So the instruction is clearly to go to worship on the Sabbath. You need to research it to understand. And yes, Jesus dutifuly went to the synagogue on the Sabbath up to the time he was imprisoned despite having conflicts with the pharisees and knowing they would play a role in His death. If Jesus would not let His conflicts with the pharisees stop him from going to worship, why should other Christians let their conflicts with the clergy stop them from going to church?

Zealot? I think it is you who has issues given your preclusion to name calling. I can understand if you choose not to go to church or receive the sacraments for whatever personal reasons you may have conjured to save yourself the trouble. I'm just pointing out what the bible says about going to church and how Jesus practiced what was commanded. It is what it is.

Like I stated earlier, it's a lame excuse. Martin Luther and John Calvin had their irreconcilable differences with the clergy so they put up their own denominations and they and their followers continued to devoutly go to church. If you are really being honest about your differences with the clergy, there are many other Christian denominations for you to choose from. But if you really don't want to go to church then you will not do it even if you were a Protestant or Evangelical.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-13-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,529 times
I am catholic but didn't go to church because i felt like a hypocrite. I am trying to become a better catholic and having a wedding in a church and making confession when I truly plan on repenting and living the proper lifestyle would help correct that. Besides the fact the whole foundation on christianity is that humans sin, and can be forgiven. Most people can't follow the rules 100%. That's what confession is for. I just don't wanna to be one of the people that go out and sin and do as I please then sit in church on sunday, ask for forgiveness and go about it all over again. So it's important for me to be able to get married in a church. Plus I want my marriage to be more than just a legal document and a tax right off, I'd like it to be a commitment before god as well

Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,529 times
Btw, I don't understand why this turned into such a big debate. My reasons for wanting to get married in a church are really none of anyone's business. For those who defended me, and especially those who actually helped answer my question.. Thank you very much.
Everyone else really needs to create a new thread to voice their religious concerns on, and please leave me out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island