Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 28,009 times

Advertisements

First post.

I am two months into the Long Island home hunt and have narrowed it down the to areas listed in the title. Am curious what people think. My most important criteria is being able to walk to the train station in under 15 minutes and a good school district. Budget up to $1mil. From a money standpoint, I will obviously be spending less for the same in Merrick/Bellmore (looking south of Sunrise only) or Massapequa vs. Syosset, but am giving up a bit in terms of school. Seems like it is about $100-$200K in savings to live on the south shore towns vs. Syosset. Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
I know you would prefer south of Sunrise, but the best value for what you need is in Merrick Woods, just north of the train station. We lived there for 18 years and loved it. Your walk to the railroad will be less than a mile, you'll live in a nice neighborhood with great trees and a great mix of houses, you'll be near a vibrant (for Long Island) downtown, the schools are excellent and the people are down to earth. You'll also pay significantly less than Syosset and you won't be near any flood zones. I am suggesting Merrick Woods because, after a long day at work, you don't want to have to take your life in your hands and cross Sunrise after dark.

Speaking of flood zones, Hurricane Sandy significantly changed the landscape on the South Shore. If I were looking there, I would first go to the flood maps, see which blocks were inundated and stay away from them. I would also be aware that prices have dropped in those neighborhoods and, as people there seek reduced tax assessments to match the lowered values, others in the school district who live further north are going to have to make up the difference. Merrick taxes aren't low now. I predict they will get worse because of this imbalance. But with that said, Syosset taxes are no bargain either.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I prefer the Babylon line over the Port Jeff line if LIRR train is the driving factor.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM

22 posts, read 43,793 times
Hi,

My husband and I are both professionals who work in NYC and we are moving to Merrick Woods from Astoria next month. I grew up in Jericho (town next to Syosset) and was swayed by the cute downtown area, beautiful housing stock, and great commute. Having grown up in one of the "best" school districts on Long Island, I can say that it's not all its cracked up to be. I feel that Syosset would be similar in terms of competition and lack of community. Also, we have a 10 minute walk to the Merrick train through town which is great if I need to grab something from Stop and Shop on my way home from work. In Syosset, many homes are far from the train and it will be hard to find parking at the station. Like the poster above said, check out Merrick Woods, you might be surprised and you won't be in a flood zone.

PS We looked in Port Washington and Sea Cliff for 2 years before finding our house. We are getting a much nicer house for the money.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM

14 posts, read 30,455 times
The Riviera (Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa) all have excellent school districts!

Of the 5, South Seaford and the Wantagh Woods are my favorite sections. Houses in these areas can range anywhere from 500,000 - over $1million.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM

9 posts, read 28,009 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. At the moment, i've narrowed the search to merrick or syosset, with a slight preference for merrick since it offers a better commute to manhattan.

thanks to the poster who suggested Merrick Woods. I've taken a look at a few homes there and like the neighborhood (but not the homes so far unfortunately). Does anyone have an opinion on the Gables area?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 24,448 times
Merrick also has the advantage of having a small town feel in the middle of Nassau County. Especially the Merrick Woods area and points north of Merrick Road. We love it here.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:59 PM

483 posts, read 670,568 times
Merrick north of Merrick Road to just north of Sunrise is lovely and tree lined.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
If you are considering Merrick (and you should), def look NORTH of Sunrise Hwy. You can still get some great homes. After Sandy, IMO, it's not worth buying South of Sunrise anymore.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 PM

14 posts, read 30,455 times
Look in the Wantagh Woods also, if you like the feel of the Merrick Woods but can't find anything you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island