Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
@longislander2 and @Two boys - both of you have misinterpreted my post. It was ONLY directed to the OP who is considering a CHOICE and not as a criticism of parent's who have made their choice in the past. Hell, I have been cognizant of the disparity between Jericho and NS for at least five years and have not moved to Jericho. Why? Because their is NO choice to make, I can't afford it. Does it mean I have any less academic aspirations for my children? Of course not.

My post's intent was to point out to the OP that what he/she thinks is a good fit for her younger children may not be such a good fit when they are older. At the HS level there is a distinct institutional advantage for top students who attend Jericho, Manhasset or GNS as compared to NS or LV. The advantage of these districts dissipates the lower you go in the academic food chain. Hence, my suggestion that if you don't have very high academic aspirations for your children and am fortunate enough to be able to have a choice of school districts then there are a lot of other districts that can provide what the OP wants for their children's education, NS and LV do not bring any value to the table that is not available elsewhere.
I sort of get what you're saying. I can totally understand someone not wanting Jericho because they feel it's just too much pressure for their child- but there are plenty of districts that don't have the intense pressure of Jericho but are much more highly regarded than NS or LV (Manhasset & Roslyn to name two). It seems like a pretty big jump to go from Jericho to NS or LV. That's not to say that NS or LV are bad- but it's a big jump when there are options nearby that most would consider to be better districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
OP's oldest is 14 (meaning either currently a HS freshman or going to be one next year, depending on the child's birth date) - OP is not making choices for a five year old without regard for what that kid will need in 10 years - she's making a choice for an older kid who, for whatever reasons, needs something different than what she's getting in Jericho - so your entire premise is just wrong.

Secondly, you're creating a false dichotomy with your posts. The options aren't:
1. Have high academic aspirations for your kid, so force your kid through a pressure-cooker school district at any cost; or
2. Leave a pressure-cooker district because you "don't have very high academic aspirations for your children."

There are lots of ways to "have high academic aspirations for your children," and to help your kids meet those expectations, without pushing them through an academic sweatshop where the only thing that matters to anyone is being #1. I'm a graduate of a truly terrible LI school district, and through a combination of parental involvement, outside enrichment activities that my parents paid for out-of-pocket, and focused attention from key teachers (that, frankly, I wouldn't have gotten in a superior district because I wouldn't have stood out as much or at all as a student in, say, Jericho), I was extremely successful in the college admission process and got a graduate degree from an Ivy. So to assume that OP doesn't care about her kids' potential for academic success (or to suggest that anyone who would make the choice OP is making doesn't have "high aspirations" for their children) is not only patently false, it's actually pretty offensive.

But hey, if posting stuff like this makes you feel better about about your kid's mediocre academic performance by blaming the district for it instead of doing the hard work of figuring out how to bring the best out of your kids yourself, then by all means, carry on.
I don't think I provided a dichotomy. The context of my quote above was intended to broaden the scope of the OP's choice of school districts he/she may be considering NOT to suggest her/his decision-making process is in error or failing his/her child. To extrapolate it any further from that context is not correct. It seems you are overlaying your own insecurities onto my statement and then making yourself feel good with your "analysis".

You are also in error about the motivation for my post. Again, your emotions have gotten the better of you. I personally know of what I speak as regarding NS - my children are all at the top of the academic food chain in the SD (top five in the HS) and all have been lucky to be one of the few in his/her graduating class to attend a top ten university. Even with his/her successful academic performance at NS I can be objective and see where the district lacks in providing the guidance, effort and services needed to support the academic ambitions of top students.

Finally, I think you need to reflect and try to understand why you would post in a thread, about a district you obviously know nothing about, with such vehemence and outrage and make unsupported assumptions. Step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and say to yourself "I will not be irrational anymore!"

Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM

65 posts, read 149,764 times
Guys, I visited one LV school on an open tour. Tour itself was very warm and welcoming, but based on my observation and a million questions that I asked, the school and the district is nothing special. It's not bad, but it's nothing to rave about and to pay taxes of over 25-30k on a house is just not worth it in this school district. Also it was obvious it has very few almost no jewish kids, and since we are Jewish, we decided to look for another school district.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM

487 posts, read 545,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
Guys, I visited one LV school on an open tour. Tour itself was very warm and welcoming, but based on my observation and a million questions that I asked, the school and the district is nothing special. It's not bad, but it's nothing to rave about and to pay taxes of over 25-30k on a house is just not worth it in this school district. Also it was obvious it has very few almost no jewish kids, and since we are Jewish, we decided to look for another school district.
I believe in a previous post you stated that you are also interested in the North Shore District. The Glen Head elementary school of the North Shore District has the largest number of Jewish students compared to the other two elementary schools (Old Brookville/Glen Head students).

You may want to check out the Wheatley school district for a larger Jewish population (Old Westbury, East Williston, Roslyn Heights, and parts of Albertson and Mineola areas are in this district). It has an excellent reputation........perhaps the right fit for your family.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM

65 posts, read 149,764 times
Thank you. Will go on tours in your mentioned schools. Appreciate your response!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
Thank you. Will go on tours in your mentioned schools. Appreciate your response!
Your welcome. I see that you revived an old thread about Roslyn vs Wheatley. I did post something to you there that you may also find helpful. Perhaps other posters in these districts can add to it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 25,217 times
For anyone still interested, we have decided that Locust Valley is the district we are moving to. Thank you all for the feedback and taking the time to respond to my questions and comments!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:31 PM

I am sure you feel relieved and look forward to moving forward with your plans. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 25,217 times
We do, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island