Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 25,220 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Need advice and feedback. We are an interfaith family (I'm Jewish, husband Christian)--not religious at all but of course proud of our respective backgrounds. We are looking at LV school district and North Shore school district. I am hearing some great things about LV district and a little bit mixed info on North shore. I am not overly preoccupied with test scores, but more concerned that the environment be warm and nurturing with caring and involved administration and staff. And please, not trying to start anything here, but having a Jewish daughter, I don't want her to feel like she is the "only" Jewish kid and feel weird about that (as I had that experience growing up in another part of the country, and it's no fun).

Any thoughts on either of these districts?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:28 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbikegirl23 View Post
Hi everyone!

Need advice and feedback. We are an interfaith family (I'm Jewish, husband Christian)--not religious at all but of course proud of our respective backgrounds. We are looking at LV school district and North Shore school district. I am hearing some great things about LV district and a little bit mixed info on North shore. I am not overly preoccupied with test scores, but more concerned that the environment be warm and nurturing with caring and involved administration and staff. And please, not trying to start anything here, but having a Jewish daughter, I don't want her to feel like she is the "only" Jewish kid and feel weird about that (as I had that experience growing up in another part of the country, and it's no fun).

Any thoughts on either of these districts?

Thanks in advance!!
Both are very good to excellent school districts and in neither case would your daughter be the only Jewish, Christian or Jewish/Christian student.
Recognizing that neither district is Syosset or Jericho in terms of a very very high powered environment (Intel, Multiple National Merit Finalists, etc) I personally believe that LV gets the edge lately but you will hear opinions on either side. But, your dollar will go further in North Shore in terms of housing (but now I am thinking of the more moderate Bayville section of LV so I am not so sure...)
Either way you should be in good hands. (I would not say the same about Glen Cove or Oyster Bay)

Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
The North Shore district has always had a higher ratio of Jewish to Christian students than Locust Valley.

Small district, small classes.. yes warm, involved etc. etc.

Also easier to get to major thoroughfares and shopping than Locust Valley.

Bottomline...........what's your housing and tax budget?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM

487 posts, read 545,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The North Shore district has always had a higher ratio of Jewish to Christian students than Locust Valley.

Small district, small classes.. yes warm, involved etc. etc.

Also easier to get to major thoroughfares and shopping than Locust Valley.

Bottomline...........what's your housing and tax budget?

I agree. North Shore is a very respectable district with three elementary schools: Glenwood Landing, Sea Cliff and Glen Head Elementary Schools. The Glen Head School includes children from Glen Head and Old Brookville and has a higher ratio of Jewish to Christian students than the other two elementary schools.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback!! This is very helpful )

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 AM

I would like to add I am NOT interested in the high powered jericho environment. We are leaving that district. There are lots of wonderful things about Jericho- but I've also found it to be very clique-y and a real pressure cooker once you exit the elementary level ( I have a 7 and a 14 year old). Both of my kids are academically strong but also are more reserved and sensitive kids. I am looking for a friendlier environment...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbikegirl23 View Post
I would like to add I am NOT interested in the high powered jericho environment. We are leaving that district. There are lots of wonderful things about Jericho- but I've also found it to be very clique-y and a real pressure cooker once you exit the elementary level ( I have a 7 and a 14 year old). Both of my kids are academically strong but also are more reserved and sensitive kids. I am looking for a friendlier environment...
North Shore would suit you nicely. And you wouldn't be that far away from your children's friends in your old neighborhood.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM

These comments are reassuring. Thank you to all who responded. Looks like
My next step is to tour the schools.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM

487 posts, read 545,181 times
I know someone who teaches in the district, and it sounds like it offers the academic climate that you are looking for that will be a good fit for your children. I am very impressed with the things that I hear about the district. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new home/school district.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
I know someone who teaches in the district, and it sounds like it offers the academic climate that you are looking for that will be a good fit for your children. I am very impressed with the things that I hear about the district. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new home/school district.
Thank you! I've been researching the districts like crazy, and am feeling relieved that I am finally down to two...the environment is so important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island