Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM

33,423 posts, read 46,851,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you were to post what you've written (about NYC's commercial tax base supporting the entire state) on the general NYS board, you're going to hear a lot of caterwauling. Upstate sees it as NYC sucking the support out of them
All we need from them is their water supply - which we have an easement in place for already.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 AM

33,423 posts, read 46,851,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I think the reason why LI doesn't attract much business is because there is no small cities with >50k population. Westchester has Yonkers, New Rochelle, and White Plains. North Jersey has Newark, Jersey City, and Hoboken. Southern Connecticut has Stamford and Bridgeport.

Civil sector jobs are the largest employer on LI. North Shore-LIJ is the largest private employer, which is more of a "service" industry since it's a non-profit hospital system. In order to find good private sector jobs you usually have to commute to NYC.

I believe if there were more private business on LI, taxes would be lower.
Hempstead and Riverhead should rival cities like White Plains, New Rochelle, Yonkers, etc.

I'll even make a case for Mineola and Long Beach.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,404,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
After college (or a few years after their 1st full time job out of school) is a different story and I agree about self-responsibility at that point. They have the means.

So many leave their parents' at 18 all over the country and all they think about is freedom (and what you mention about dating). Sink or swim - too many sink but at least they weren't "coddled". Wrong priorities.
I'm married and own a home. Our situation is very stable, I assure you. Ask my wife if she would date a 26-29 year old living at home (assuming she wasn't married). As a successful woman I think she would see it as a red flag at the very least (in fact, I know this since she has said it before).

Anyway, not sure where you are going with this...my point, again, is that LI COL/taxes make it cost prohibitive or near impossible for people with an entry level job (college or no college) to live on their own. No one is talking about priorities. The remark I made before was just to highlight how pathetic things have become.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,404,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I forgot that their economy is booming due to the oil. I should have picked a crappier state.
You could have just picked...NY since its economic projections are almost dead last. I believe the state with the least growth potential was Vermont. In all seriousness, Illinois would be a good example. Ranked 47 now and projected to be 48
http://www.alec.org/wp-content/uploads/IL.pdf

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-19-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,582,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All we need from them is their water supply - which we have an easement in place for already.
Long Island doesn't, NYC does.

You're forgetting that there's a whole lot more NYS north of the reservoirs.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,805,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm married and own a home. Our situation is very stable, I assure you. Ask my wife if she would date a 26-29 year old living at home (assuming she wasn't married). As a successful woman I think she would see it as a red flag at the very least (in fact, I know this since she has said it before).

Anyway, not sure where you are going with this...my point, again, is that LI COL/taxes make it cost prohibitive or near impossible for people with an entry level job (college or no college) to live on their own. No one is talking about priorities. The remark I made before was just to highlight how pathetic things have become.
If you didn't leave at 18 or thereabout then I'm not talking about your financial well-being. I still think it's silly to mention the dating thing since these days 17% of adult children (nearly 1 in 5) are living at home with parents and that includes both men and women. I think many women would understand more as they could be in the same situation. Getting a job out of school is not as easy as it once was.

Nearly 1 in 5 Adults Is Still Living at Home With Their Parents - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,111,097 times
Quote:
In the past on Long Island it wasn't unusual to live at home until you got married, there just weren't many illegal apartments willing to rent to a young male.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 AM

236 posts, read 471,558 times
Quote:

Agreed that the situation is pathetic, but there is more than one way to grow into a responsible adult and get to marriage and homeownership.

For every successful future wife with that viewpoint, there's another successful future wife who's growing frustrated because the 25-year-old guy she envisions marrying has little (if any) savings on hand to use for an engagement ring, house downpayment, etc. because he's spending $1,400 a month to live in someone's basement in the name of independence.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM

730 posts, read 1,294,774 times
My son lived at home (excluding the years he was away at college) after age 25. Why? Because he wanted to continue to save up enough money for a decent down payment on a house, which he bought at age 29.

Rather than throw away money on rent, he banked and invested it. How is behavior like that such a red flag? IMHO it was sensible.

Last edited by Never2L8; 02-19-2014 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: accidentally typed wrong word, LOL

Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,980,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
My son lived at home (excluding the years he was away at college) after age 25. Why? Because he wanted to continue to save up enough money for a decent down payment on a house, which he bought at age 29.

Rather than throw away money on rent, he banked and invested it. How is behavior like that such a red flag? IMHO it was sensible.
Incubating at home to save cash if fine. Sounds like your son has a good head on his shoulders.

The problem with many "adults" who live with their parents on LI, is that they don't save. No plans for independence. They are comfortable where they are with no responsibilities, so why leave? Don't have the $500 in rent you promised to your dad? Big deal. He isn't going to send the creditor after you. "Sorry, I'm tight this month, I'll be sure to pay it next month." But look at them, do they look like they're struggling? They drive nicer cars than we do, eat out and go drinking with their bros all the time. Just keeping it up until they get their inheritance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island