Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM

111 posts, read 431,705 times

Advertisements

Thsnkd for input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 19,862 times
My daughter graduated from St. Anthony's. I would pay the tuition 10 times over. Worth every penny!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM

St. Anthony is one our choices, just wondering if kids who apply have to get interviewed. I believe they do, can you confirm. Thanks

Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 AM

No interview process for my daughter.
Maybe for the kids on a waiting list. I'm not sure

Old 03-11-2014, 01:47 PM

246 posts, read 470,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
My kids are in 6th grade and go to the Lindenhurst M.S. Their next stop would be Lindenhurst H.S. Its an average school with their share of problems but many good students go to college. Unfortunately there is a fair share of kids that don't go to college and from speaking with the ones I know never had any intention.

I do believe that your surrondings play a major role on how one thinks especially at a young age so I am [SIZE=3]contemplating [/SIZE][SIZE=3]sending my kids (if accepted) to catholic school where most seem to go to 4 year colleges.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My question is are the Catholic Schools in Long Island worth the money, most are between 8k-10k a year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We live near St. John;s the Baptist but also would look into St. Anthony and Kellenberg.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any insight is greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

A St. Anthony's graduate here, working in Lindenhurst, with a career in healthcare.

Catholic school worked for me but so would public school. I had parents and support that kicked my butt into gear.

A few teachers in Lindenhurst are friends of mine and are St. Anthony graduates.

If you want a Catholic upbringing, seek elsewhere, as St. Anthony's churns out a large amt of atheists and agnostics.

If you want a good education, Lindy is great but don't count on the district to make your kid great.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWifeHappyLife77 View Post
No interview process for my daughter.
Maybe for the kids on a waiting list. I'm not sure

Didn't your child have to take the Catholic HS entrance exam?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM

487 posts, read 545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
St. Anthony is one our choices, just wondering if kids who apply have to get interviewed. I believe they do, can you confirm. Thanks
I don't know about St. Anthony's, but Kellenberg and Chaminade do not interview. I think a motivated student with family guidance and support will do well anywhere. However, if having the spiritual/religious aspect intertwined with the curriculum is important to your family, then it certainly will be the right choice for your family as your children will be able to embrace their religion at school.

If you decide on a Catholic high school, keep in mind that your children will not be going to school in their community and may feel a little out of the loop regarding friendships. I have friends whose children go to Catholic high schools instead of their district high schools, and they are driving them all over Long Island on the weekends to meet with friends from their high schools. It is, however, great to make new friends.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Yes. students take the Catholic Entrance Exam. I believe it is given in Oct or Nov.

A motivated student could do well anywhere, this is true. However, there is a certain feeling one has when they attend a school like St. Anthony's that can not be replicated. As a college advisor, I have also noticed a "polish" to the kids who attend private schools. You can see it immediately.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM

I agree a motivated kid can do well anyware but that is true for every aspect of life. I do believe you arre a product of your enviornment which includes school and I like the fact most kids in private school go to college where in Lindy its probabaly in the 75%-80%. The kids we know in Lindy most haven't gone or do go and drop out, only 1 has stuck it out. Still debating on what to do.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM

246 posts, read 470,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Didn't your child have to take the Catholic HS entrance exam?
Depends. Usually yes. I can also tell you of families where 2 or 3 of their kids got in and one of their siblings didn't and all they did was make a contribution under the table to Brother Gary and Poof, they were in.

Drunk St. Anthony's parents on St Pattys day....they do tell a lot. It happens and when it does, it truly devalues those entrance exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
I think a motivated student with family guidance and support will do well anywhere.

If you decide on a Catholic high school, keep in mind that your children will not be going to school in their community and may feel a little out of the loop regarding friendships.

What twoboys said. A great backbone is key. One of the things cons of a St A's education is that if I wanted to hang with friends, I was asking my folks to drive me to Hicksville, Port Jeff, etc. This after their 40 hr work week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island