Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 AM

34 posts, read 204,996 times

Advertisements

Have a friend living in an apartment in Holbrook on Broadway Avenue. She has to put up with extremely loud noise from the tenants upstairs on a nightly basis, and loud parties every single Friday & Saturday night that go from 8pm to roughly 6am.

Absentee Landlord won't do anything because:

1) The offenders upstairs are related to him
2) He doesn't care about the house or what happens to it
3) He has neighbors nearby who watch over the house, who are also friendly with upstairs offenders.

I told her to get in contact with the Islip Town Office through their website but no one has returned her calls or responded to her e-mails. I'm not sure where Broadway Avenue in Holbrook falls...is it possible that it is Town of Brookhaven?

What is the best way to report an illegal apartment in Suffolk County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 AM

149 posts, read 345,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe82 View Post
Have a friend living in an apartment in Holbrook on Broadway Avenue. She has to put up with extremely loud noise from the tenants upstairs on a nightly basis, and loud parties every single Friday & Saturday night that go from 8pm to roughly 6am.

3) He has neighbors nearby who watch over the house, who are also friendly with upstairs offenders.

I told her to get in contact with the Islip Town Office through their website but no one has returned her calls or responded to her e-mails. I'm not sure where Broadway Avenue in Holbrook falls...is it possible that it is Town of Brookhaven?

Is you friend an illegal tenant too ??? If she cant stand it, she has the right to move.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:

Bway Ave in Holbrook is definately in Islip.
Call Code enforcement.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
Is you friend an illegal tenant too ??? If she cant stand it, she has the right to move.
This is a good point. If one apartment is illegal, they both are. Turning in the landlord may end up getting your friend evicted, too.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
Yeah, why doesn't she just move? She must have known it was an illegal apt. and didn't care when she moved in. The problem she's facing could happen in a legal apt., too. She's just being nasty if she rats out the landlord now just to be spiteful.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM

34 posts, read 204,996 times
To clarify:

She is trying to move, but she's been unsuccessful in finding a new place as of yet (typical overpriced Long Island bullsh*t). She had lived there before the white trash moved in so she partly wants to get even with the landlord for being a dbag and not doing a thing to address her complaints. It's only fair...you're gonna have tenants and not do anything to address their complaints, and blatantly favor the offending tenants because they're related to you? You deserve to have your ass reemed by the county.

She doesn't care about the possibility of eviction. She can always go back to her parents' temporarily, and my wife and I have offered her our guest room as well, so she wouldn't be out on the street. She'd actually be happier seeing the a-holes getting what's coming to them, and the landlord being dealt with.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
It's not an illegal apartment if it is rented out to family, so basically you're friend will just end up homeless and the other tenants will just keep having their wild parties late at night

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It's not an illegal apartment if it is rented out to family, so basically you're friend will just end up homeless and the other tenants will just keep having their wild parties late at night
Oh really? LOL.

To OP: Don't believe everything people write to you on C-D.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

Sounds like the civil servants of Islip need a fire lit under their butts.

However, in the meantime, what she needs to do is (and I hate to say this) become a regular cop caller for noise complaints ... and make sure and mention that you are "waiting" on the Town of Islip's help ... perhaps the SCPD civil servants will get SICK ENOUGH of the complaints to nudge Islip ... we can only wish.

Like clockwork, at 10:00 pm, if the upstairs dirtbags are partying and making too much noise, she must call the cops. EACH AND EVERY TIME. Until it stops.

If she isn't a cop caller, she could do what I had to do a few times when I rented in a building with upstairs douchebag neighbors: make my own noise and then lie in wait to verbally abuse the offenders if they dared to complain. (Result: they dared not to complain after the first time, stopped making so much noise, and moved out within 1 month and a half.)

Here is my solution: put LOUD speakers on a tall chest of drawers or better yet, a stepladder, and blast away ... I highly recommend Time-Life's collection entitled "Classical Thunder."

Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Default Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

Calling the town in will do nothing but get your friend evicted. There's nothing stopping the landlord from telling the authorities that he's letting his relatives stay there in exchange for house-sitting, and you can bet that the relatives and the neighbors will go along with the story.

If she wants to be spiteful, she should worry about seeking her vengeance after she moves out--and spite is all it would be because clearly she had no problems with the legality of the place or her landlord's ethics as long as she was benefiting. Far as I'm concerned, if she knew the apartment was illegal, she paid her money and took her chances, and all she's getting now is karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: