Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
your numbers are simply false.

Population of NYS in 2012 19,570,261 in 2010 it was 19,378,104. in 2000 it was 18,976,457 in 1990 it was 17,990,455. The population in NYS is growing, just not as fast as other states.
Yup, you're right. Without going into specifics, check out the demographics on who's coming and who's going. NYS is losing middle class taxpayers and replacing the net loss with a net gain of mostly immigrants. This is especially true in NYC, where if it wasn't for immigration, would have lost millions. Since the cost of real estate and rentals has surged in NYC, many new arrivals have headed out to LI, especially to poorer, more affordable areas where there may be communities of country-people.

In 2012, there were 5.6 million medicaid recipients, think about that. And the number is growing fast as is the annual budgeting for Medicaid. The Medicaid spending cap will go from $15.9 billion in 2012, to $16.5 billion in 2013 and $17.9 billion in 2014. That's billion with a 'B'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Yup, you're right. Without going into specifics, check out the demographics on who's coming and who's going. NYS is losing middle class taxpayers and replacing the net loss with a net gain of mostly immigrants. This is especially true in NYC, where if it wasn't for immigration, would have lost millions. Since the cost of real estate and rentals has surged in NYC, many new arrivals have headed out to LI, especially to poorer, more affordable areas where there may be communities of country-people.

In 2012, there were 5.6 million medicaid recipients, think about that. And the number is growing fast as is the annual budgeting for Medicaid. The Medicaid spending cap will go from $15.9 billion in 2012, to $16.5 billion in 2013 and $17.9 billion in 2014. That's billion with a 'B'.
Well that explains why LI feels more & more like a foreign country. It's funny how everyone pokes fun of NJ & Chris Christie but Cuomo & NY State politicians make him look like the best Governor ever.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well that explains why LI feels more & more like a foreign country. It's funny how everyone pokes fun of NJ & Chris Christie but Cuomo & NY State politicians make him look like the best Governor ever.
Frankly, I like Christie... I know I'll be flamed for this, but Christie is in your face and that's what you need, not a BS artist like Cuomo. Everything Cuomo does is for the sound bites and how it'll look in 2016.

I don't care about bridgegate, I want someone who will not cow-tow to the special interests. THat's not a Hillary, not a Paul Ryan and certainly not a Marco Rubio or Andie Cuomo. Now I'm realistic, maybe I'm expecting too much, but you want someone who is the spoiler, who, once in office, is not afraid to kick up some dust. I know NJ is not in great shape (sort of the kettle calling the pot black, since we're on LI), but after Christie I have no suggestions.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
your numbers are simply false.

Population of NYS in 2012 19,570,261 in 2010 it was 19,378,104. in 2000 it was 18,976,457 in 1990 it was 17,990,455. The population in NYS is growing, just not as fast as other states.
I think you can contribute those numbers just in overall population boost. The US population saw almost 5.2 million added from 2010-2012. That's almost a 2% jump in population. Meanwhile NY's population "grew" by just shy of 1%.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM

429 posts, read 853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Frankly, I like Christie... I know I'll be flamed for this, but Christie is in your face and that's what you need, not a BS artist like Cuomo. Everything Cuomo does is for the sound bites and how it'll look in 2016.

I don't care about bridgegate, I want someone who will not cow-tow to the special interests. THat's not a Hillary, not a Paul Ryan and certainly not a Marco Rubio or Andie Cuomo. Now I'm realistic, maybe I'm expecting too much, but you want someone who is the spoiler, who, once in office, is not afraid to kick up some dust. I know NJ is not in great shape (sort of the kettle calling the pot black, since we're on LI), but after Christie I have no suggestions.
I'm not in love with Christie as of late, but who I really can't stand and actually think is a huge detriment to NYS is DiBlasio. His "ideas" of how NYC is supposed to operate and what he expects of the middle and upper class is deeply concerning to me and the fact that he was voted into office just goes to show how severely the people that now live in NYC that stand to benefit from his approach outnumber those who will be hindered. I think we'll start to see a lot of the wealthy leave NYS with their millions and then who will politicians poach to carry the lower class?
I actually think DiBlasio has proven to be anti-prosperity and is desperately trying to level the playing field. He may actually achieve what he's after, but not by stealing from the rich to give to the poor - by driving the rich out completely, leaving a lesser income gap between those who are left.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
the fact that he was voted into office just goes to show how severely the people that now live in NYC that stand to benefit from his approach outnumber those who will be hindered.
Interestingly de Blasio won with all income brackets. I think the outcome of the elections was influenced a lot by the sheer lack of good candidates in the last election, and the complacency of the voting population who seem to have forgotten the days when the garment industry collapsed and it took 4 business-friendly mayors to get NYC out of the road to perdition.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 682 times
NY politicians really need to cut taxes on ALL levels while cutting spending on social programs in the state. Maybe then will the middle class stop leaving New York at such a fast rate.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
but not by stealing from the rich to give to the poor - by driving the rich out completely, leaving a lesser income gap between those who are left.
It looks like DeBlasio comes up with ideas to tax the wealthy, and Cuomo wants to pass the costs on to the middle class instead (Pre K, classes after middle school etc. etc.).
The middle class will get strangled as usual. The wealthy will find a way around it as always.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Interestingly de Blasio won with all income brackets. I think the outcome of the elections was influenced a lot by the sheer lack of good candidates in the last election, and the complacency of the voting population who seem to have forgotten the days when the garment industry collapsed and it took 4 business-friendly mayors to get NYC out of the road to perdition.
Joe Lhota was not exactly an opponent to be reckoned with. Slow Joe was an abysmal failure when he headed the MTA. His other political appointments aren't even worth citing.

My city friends were all upset by Bloomberg's bougy city and loved DiBlasio's message of equality, but they're growing disillusioned by the day. After all, one man's equality is another's inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island