Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times

Advertisements

Some towns have bans on certain franchises or franchises in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Given the choice, I'll go for the local pizza shop, but I'll go for the chain place every now and again. To me it's not nearly as bad as the posters here paint it to be.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Generally you see more chain pizza places in states that don't have local pizza places. Years ago I was stationed in Missouri in a very rural area about an hour from KC. Guess what? No local places, but that had a Little Caesars and a Pizza Hut. Nowadays they all taste the same. That's why many call it fast food pizza. Definitely not in the same category as the real thing, and why would you pay 10-12 bucks for a pizza they call a large but is smaller than a regular pizza place for almost the same money?
massapequa has about 10 pizza places yet they feel the need to have a dominos on top of that. Really not sure if thereres a pizza hut. Perhaps in the mall.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Given the choice, I'll go for the local pizza shop, but I'll go for the chain place every now and again. To me it's not nearly as bad as the posters here paint it to be.
Really not that bad? I'm assuming you not an authentic Italian like myself

If you think that these chain pizza joint that use ragu/ketchup as sauce and a completely tasteless and flat dough are remotely as good as Nick's - Rockville Centre, Grimaldi's - Garden City,King Umberto - Elmont, Ancona of Valley Stream, Cinelli's in Franklin Square, Ginos - Massapequa Park, Colosseo -Port Jeffstation, Antino's Pizza of Rocky Point(yes Rocky Point, Grandma).....Point is I could go on forever and not even touch the 5 boro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I used to knock chain pizzas, but for $7 a pie, it's hard to knock.

What's a 3 topping pie go for at your local Paul and Vinny's? Yeah. Ain't cheap.

Non chain pies are almost twice the size as chains, no real savings! One of the reasons you get two or 3 pies for 15 bucks! Yuck!

Quote:
If you can afford it, then by all means! I'm sure with your income it's not a problem
I don't care if you have money or not...somethings you can't be frugal with and PIZZA is one of them

Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Really not that bad? I'm assuming you not an authentic Italian like myself

If you think that these chain pizza joint that use ragu/ketchup as sauce and a completely tasteless and flat dough are remotely as good as Nick's - Rockville Centre, Grimaldi's - Garden City,King Umberto - Elmont, Ancona of Valley Stream, Cinelli's in Franklin Square, Ginos - Massapequa Park, Colosseo -Port Jeffstation, Antino's Pizza of Rocky Point(yes Rocky Point, Grandma).....Point is I could go on forever and not even touch the 5 boro's
I said not AS bad as people make it sound-- I didn't say not THAT bad in comparison. I never, ever compared the chain pizza joints to the great restaurants you just mentioned. Also, I've never had a chain pizza slice that used ketchup-- that's nasty. Again, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was even comparing the pizza to great places like that, but to say chain pizza is "edible crap" is just as hyperbolic.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
I said not AS bad as people make it sound-- I didn't say not THAT bad in comparison. I never, ever compared the chain pizza joints to the great restaurants you just mentioned. Also, I've never had a chain pizza slice that used ketchup-- that's nasty. Again, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was even comparing the pizza to great places like that, but to say chain pizza is "edible crap" is just as hyperbolic.
No sense in arguing with a "real" Italian. LI "Italians" are sometimes too passionate about their culture.
I won't even go into the difference between a pizza here and actual Italy.

In all fairness tho, I'm snobbish about sushi and Japanese cuisine in general, so it's understandable to some extent.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If you add in delivery charges and tip, a chain pizza pie can cost just as much as a bigger, real pizzeria pie that you pick up yourself.
To use as an example... Papa John's The Works (Supreme) is often as low as $11, whereas my favorite place's "Supreme" is a minimum of $22. Of course the latter is preferred but it's a big difference. I would sometimes just buy 2 of Papa Johns if I want that much (I still have a college-age appetite). Tip is also often close to gas money getting there.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
No sense in arguing with a "real" Italian. LI "Italians" are sometimes too passionate about their culture.
I won't even go into the difference between a pizza here and actual Italy.

In all fairness tho, I'm snobbish about sushi and Japanese cuisine in general, so it's understandable to some extent.
Yeah, it's somewhat understandable-- I'm black and I'm hard to please when it comes to soul food. I've lived on LI 21 years and just last week found a soul food restaurant I like here (LL Dent in Carle Place, if anyone's curious).

My thing is I acknowledged in my first post that I usually go to mom & pop pizza shops (I eat pizza more than I care to admit), but that I occasionally go to chains every now and again (the last chain I had was Pizza Hut last November with some friends). Simply stating that I think some of the posts were exaggerating caused him to feel he, as an "authentic Italian," needed to school me.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
. Simply stating that I think some of the posts were exaggerating caused him to feel he, as an "authentic Italian," needed to school me.
LOL,

I'll put it this way....my twins sons which are extremely competitive both recently took part time jobs. One works at Papa's the other Little Caesars. Due to their ages they are prep/help out/ counter/phones guys. Recently they been working towards and practicing making the pizza for the up coming summer break from school. They're so happy that they are starting to make that pizza you guys find " almost as good"or "not as bad" because up to two weeks ago they couldn't boil water or make a peanut butter sandwich Yes they think they can make a legit pizza now I told them I'll disown them if they bought that crap into my house!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
To use as an example... Papa John's The Works (Supreme) is often as low as $11, whereas my favorite place's "Supreme" is a minimum of $22. Of course the latter is preferred but it's a big difference. I would sometimes just buy 2 of Papa Johns if I want that much (I still have a college-age appetite). Tip is also often close to gas money getting there.
$22? Wow! Didn't realize it was so expensive as we normally get a regular pie. At the local pizzeria it's $14. A Papa Johns is about 8 or so. Add a 2 dollar delivery charge and 1 or 2 dollars for a tip and it's almost the same. I guess if you like a lot of toppings than it makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island