Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Need to get your facts straight. its up to 2 elementary and 2 middle schools, maybe.
I thought I mentioned that

Quote:
HHH, a supposedly anointed district is closing schools next year.
And thats going to make it better for them ?

I agree with you, its not going bankrupt, nowhere close, but I can feel a pinch here, a pinch there that gives you a general direction. They did away with the GATE programs last year, I am not sure if its going to come back, thats just an example (it had existed for 30 years). Whats next on the chopping block ? So its not just about the buildings.
Anyway I don't want this to be discussion about the school budget (btw, please go and vote) but whether Pines will help us with cleaning up the mess or make it worse (financially that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I thought I mentioned that

And thats going to make it better for them ?

I agree with you, its not going bankrupt, nowhere close, but I can feel a pinch here, a pinch there that gives you a general direction. They did away with the GATE programs last year, I am not sure if its going to come back, thats just an example (it had existed for 30 years). Whats next on the chopping block ? So its not just about the buildings.
Anyway I don't want this to be discussion about the school budget (btw, please go and vote) but whether Pines will help us with cleaning up the mess or make it worse (financially that is).
GATE was financially a drain and used up too many $$$s and did little to help the "talented" students and you got in my taking 1 test.

Closing schools is going to make it better for HHH and for every other district that can and should do it.
No sense in running buildings at 50%

Obiviously if they increase value and pay more taxes that's great. Its the abatements that kill.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
GATE was financially a drain and used up too many $$$s and did little to help the "talented" students and you got in my taking 1 test.
Closing schools is going to make it better for HHH and for every other district that can and should do it.
No sense in running buildings at 50%
Don't you think it was a good option even before (when they had the funds), by that I mean closing and efficiently running the schools, the point is that as the budgets started to fail (which will be a regular occurrence on LI going forward) they had to do it. Again - the direction.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Don't you think it was a good option even before (when they had the funds), by that I mean closing and efficiently running the schools, the point is that as the budgets started to fail (which will be a regular occurrence on LI going forward) they had to do it. Again - the direction.
The population supported that # of schools. Now that its down, it doesn't...

Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I am not for or against, because I would need more information. I will say this again. Haven't you guys heard or Urban planning(i know not urban) Young families cannot afford Long Island any longer they are doing better in the city. The developers are required to build schools and such to scale to meet the needs of the area. Every development project mentioned on this board whether it be Nassau or Suffolk has woken up the community to gather their pitch forks and torches, then every other day you see the is Long Island too expensive or I have my house on the market and I can't wait to leave. Please make up your mind people. We can continue to complain about how LI is dying because of no jobs or places for the young to live or we want things build (I know you want stuff with real benefit built) Well we are either all stupid or the most uncreative people in the world because we have yet to come up with anything people can agree would provide value.
I see the value of having more sustainable residential development and one that offers a broad range of housing options. But why does this proposal entail giving the developer tax breaks? If there was a natural market for this development, it should not require a tax break. It should presumably sell on its own.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The population supported that # of schools. Now that its down, it doesn't...
Replace the "population" with $$$ in your sentence.
If the budget vote had not failed, we would not be discussing school closings regardless of population change.
Enrollment overall decreased by 5-6% over past 5 years.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I am not for or against, because I would need more information. I will say this again. Haven't you guys heard or Urban planning(i know not urban) Young families cannot afford Long Island any longer they are doing better in the city. The developers are required to build schools and such to scale to meet the needs of the area. Every development project mentioned on this board whether it be Nassau or Suffolk has woken up the community to gather their pitch forks and torches, then every other day you see the is Long Island too expensive or I have my house on the market and I can't wait to leave. Please make up your mind people. We can continue to complain about how LI is dying because of no jobs or places for the young to live or we want things build (I know you want stuff with real benefit built) Well we are either all stupid or the most uncreative people in the world because we have yet to come up with anything people can agree would provide value.
We need good paying jobs which can sustain a family, not low paying work which is what many of the proposed businesses for the Pines will be. The young are leaving because of affordability and lack of decent jobs. The term 'workforce' isn't defined with a dollar amount. Are the young college educated or highly skilled people who are leaving considered workforce, or is it the minimum wage earners who lack a college degree or trade skills?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We need good paying jobs which can sustain a family, not low paying work which is what many of the proposed businesses for the Pines will be. The young are leaving because of affordability and lack of decent jobs. The term 'workforce' isn't defined with a dollar amount. Are the young college educated or highly skilled people who are leaving considered workforce, or is it the minimum wage earners who lack a college degree or trade skills?
No, we need people who are willing to work the type of job they deserve. Way too many people think they're entitled to a "good paying job", when in reality they should be stocking shelves at Best Buy, or punching tickets at a movie theater. You want a good paying job? Work for it. You can't just create these "good paying jobs" and expect them to be filled. We've got everything we need here in abundance; doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers, etc etc etc. The market is flooded, so yes, if someone is pursuing any of these career choices, they should not hope to work on Long Island. You want to stock shelves? There's jobs galore, but no one wants to admit that's as far as they're going to get in life, so the positions remain unfilled.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM

267 posts, read 598,674 times
Lets talk about the NY Atlantic frieght train that tears thru cracking folks house.............thats a story

Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
This is exactly what the area needs and that is a perfect location. It will be a boon to the area and revitalize that section of town. I am voting Yes and I know many others will be as well.
A living pine forest needs to be revitalized???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island