Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM

133 posts, read 283,573 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people think its perfectly ok to allow their dogs to intrude on others properties? I happen to live across the street from a large piece of tree'd property that is perfect for walking dogs, yet many dog walkers instead stay on the side of the street occupied by homes and allow their dogs to intrude on the properties of these homes. A lot of these dog walkers have the extending type leashes and actually stand in front of your house while their dog comes right up the front lawn. If you happen to have lanscaped shubbery near the side walk it seems they feel its ok to allow the dog to urinate on the bushes. If you own your own dog this creates a never ending cycle of "marking" the shrub which eventually kills the plant. Why is it that some owners of small dogs feel they don't have to pick up after their dog poops? I asked one lady if she intended to pick it up and her reply was, "She doesn't make that much". recently a woman came to my door and explained that one of my dogs had reached under my fence and attacked her small dog. The dog needed staples and she presented a vet bill for $125.00 I apologized for my dogs behavior and gave her a check for the vet bill. She insisted that was not the purpose of her visit but took the money. A week later I was in my yard and my dogs started barking and trying to get under the fence, so I took a walk over to the area. There stood the same woman on the other side of my fence allowing the same dog to sniff around right on the other side of the fence where my dogs could easily reach it. I was astonished and asked her if she was kidding. She hasn't been back. For a period of time I was getting up every morning to discover the mulch had been dug out from under two shrubs which stansd at the end of my walk near the sidewalk. I thought it was squirels digging. One morning I was out early and discoverd a woman standing there patiently while her dog dug up my mulch. I said, "You must be kidding right?" She turned a deep red and took off. Is it me? I walk my dogs in the street and pick up after them. I would never allow my dogs on another persons property. Am I expecting to much from these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM

31 posts, read 153,190 times
You shuld be more careful with your dog so that it dont bite people if it can get threw your fence. People or the other dog get hurt and it could be for more than 125 and it could be a kid. If its gonna bite people you shuld fix ur fense or put it on a chain.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
not picking up poop is digusting. The owners should be beaten.

As for pee, almost all dogs seem to only want to pee on hydrants, bushes, utility poles, signage poles, etc. Seem like a tough one to avoid.

As for the lady, I wouldn't pay her $125. She was on your property. She needs to control her dog. Perhaps both needs some obedience lessons. I do think the OP needs to cover up that fence though for safety

Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
I'd get a couple of "No Trespassing… Yes, that includes your dog" signs made up and post them around the property, but I'm a smarty-pants.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I'd get a couple of "No Trespassing… Yes, that includes your dog" signs made up and post them around the property, but I'm a smarty-pants.
put signs that you put tons of pesticides around your property. that may scare them...if not...puts gobs of that stuff on your lawn

Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Amazon.com: Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler: Patio, Lawn & Garden at your leisure.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:25 PM

133 posts, read 283,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I do happen to have four beware of dog signs on my property. The fence is pvc and I have a double section gate, thats where my dog got the lady's dog. its easy to reach under the gate. Right there I have a beware of dog sign. My point is if she didn't loiter allowing her dog to antagonize my dogs there would be no problem. My dogs are lab mix's adopted from a shelter. They don't bite and would never attack anyone, but they are dogs. If your going to stand there and let your dog tease them your going to get what your asking for.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Set up some video cameras so you can see what is going on out there on the other side of the PVC fence from the house, plus some loudspeakers. Watch. When you see some idiots with their dogs either pooping or peeing or antagonizing your own dogs, yell at them over the loudspeakers and tell them to go away. Watch them jump out of their skins and scurry away. Soon people walking dogs will avoid your house. For those that are wiseguys and yell back, go outside and tell them off in person. Also for nighttime have some very bright motion-activated lights out there that will startle dog walkers and other possible loiterers.

PS: I am surprised you paid that vet bill. I would have questioned it because why didn't she knock on your door when it happened so you could see the wound? What if your dog didn't even do it and she was just getting over on you?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM

31 posts, read 153,190 times
If you put up camras and speakers its still ur falt the dog bites people or an other dog thow. It aint fair but people need to now whats up and what they doing. They should fix the fense and then they dont have no more probalems because people gonna do what they do.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Last year, a high school girl was standing on my walk and was letting her small dog poop. I opened the door and said, " you're gonna pick that up, right?" She said, "yeah" with that cocky bratty teen voice. She had no bag or anything so I don't know how she was going do it. She was on her cell for 10 minutes when a woman, probably her mom, came by with a bag and picked it up. If I didn't see her, I am sure she would have left it there. People are inconsiderate morons. It isn't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island