Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM

31 posts, read 153,279 times

Advertisements

U hava to pay it or they shut it down. Crooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I paid about $1,300 last year for gas to heat my home. Haven't added up this past winter yet but I'd guess it's probably a little higher. Have a colonial w/basement, and kids at home and we do 62/69.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Around 3500 last year. We have a programmable thermostat set to 56 at night then up to 62 for morning prep and afternoon family time. We have a 1000 sq foot ranch with the old aluminum windows and a new roof.
62?! Jesus Christ you like it cold. I don't even set my house to that temp when I'm out. I have my thermostat st to 72 when I'm home and 67 when I'm out.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

I just calculated my last 12 month oil bill. It came out to $6164.53. I just want to compare other home owners oil bill vs mine. Please let me know how much you paid for the past 12 month?

I asked my sister, she has gas in her home and paid $840 for the past 12 month. Her kids out of home, she keeps the temp. like 65 or something like that. But still I am getting ripped off from oil company.

Thanks.

I keep track of the oil fill ups. Over the last 4 years we averaged 765 gallons over each year x 3.85 (approximate) per gallon = $2945. per year. The house is 2600 sq ft, replacement windows throughout, insulated attic, 3 zones and electric radiant heat in the kitchen. Programmable thermostats through out. The master bedroom is only occupied at night so during the day the door is closed and the thermostat is set to 60 degrees. The other thermostats are set at 68 degrees when we are home and 65 when we are not. Hot water is a holding tank that is a separate zone on the furnace. The furnace is about 8 - 10 years old and gets maintained every fall.

BTW, the electric radiant heat adds very little to the electric bill, which is approximately $200.00 per month. Recent energy star appliances and CFL bulbs throughout.

We are 4 people in the house (+ one kid away at college = 5).

If you are spending $6,165 per year, there is something drastically wrong, either with your heating equipment, your house or the oil company itself or your house is so large and expensive, that you shouldn't be complaining about the cost to heat it.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I paid about $1,300 last year for gas to heat my home. Haven't added up this past winter yet but I'd guess it's probably a little higher. Have a colonial w/basement, and kids at home and we do 62/69.
national grid's website lets you export an xls so it's just a matter of highlighting the last 12 months' bill amounts... pretty neat.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Over $6,000 is pretty high. My Oil bill for the last 12 months is around $4,000. That's with a poorly insulated house and blasting the heat at 70-72 all day long. How old is your Oil tank and where is it located? You might want to check for a leak.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
We haven't been in our house for a year, but we've had 3 fill ups, totaling a little over $1,000. We have a 1500 sq ft cape with some dormering. We have propane gas for cooking, a new oil burner, new water heater, Andersen windows. We only occupy one floor right now, but have two zones. We keep the thermostat to 63/64 when we're not home and when we're sleeping. When we're cold, we turn it up to 67/68. We wear robes, slippers, drink tea to stay warmer. Very rarely do we set it above the 60s. I believe when we had the coldest nights, our thermostat tapped out at 61. Haven't seen it get lower than that.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 AM

429 posts, read 853,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
2,300sf stucco Tudor built 1924 on three levels. Replacement windows, new energy efficient gas boiler, no insulation in the walls. Keep it at 68 degrees 24/7.

My gas bill (including cooking gas) for a brutal February was $507. With our old oil burner we would probably have used 400 gallons @ $4.15/gallon = $1,660.

I urge everyone who uses oil that has gas on the street to convert today. If you don't have the 10 grand or whatever it costs, and you have equity in your house, get a line of credit to pay for it. It will pay itself back in four years, and you will increase the value and marketability of your property if you should decide to sell. There is nothing wrong with oil heat, but the price has become a major sticking point to many buyers.
I'd be careful with this advice. When we were house shopping this past Spring, we were told that houses with Gas don't necessarily sell for more than those without. It would seem to me that the only reason someone should convert their home from oil to gas is for their own benefit/heating bills while they own the home.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I keep track of the oil fill ups. Over the last 4 years we averaged 765 gallons over each year x 3.85 (approximate) per gallon = $2945. per year. The house is 2600 sq ft, replacement windows throughout, insulated attic, 3 zones and electric radiant heat in the kitchen. Programmable thermostats through out. The master bedroom is only occupied at night so during the day the door is closed and the thermostat is set to 60 degrees. The other thermostats are set at 68 degrees when we are home and 65 when we are not. Hot water is a holding tank that is a separate zone on the furnace. The furnace is about 8 - 10 years old and gets maintained every fall.

BTW, the electric radiant heat adds very little to the electric bill, which is approximately $200.00 per month. Recent energy star appliances and CFL bulbs throughout.

We are 4 people in the house (+ one kid away at college = 5).

If you are spending $6,165 per year, there is something drastically wrong, either with your heating equipment, your house or the oil company itself or your house is so large and expensive, that you shouldn't be complaining about the cost to heat it.

We are family of four also. House sq ft is around 2000. Very small home. My furnace is around 25 to 30 years old. I think I need to change this first. The house was build 1970. Nothing in this house is correct, I bought this house from Vietnam veteran. He said he knows everything about house, he said he did most of the work on this house by himself. During the day, no one is at home, we keep the temp around 64. At 3 PM, kids comes from school. Temp goes back to 69. At 11 PM, temp goes down to 66.

I think my main issues are furnace and attic. Attic is not well insulated at all, I can't go there in the winter time, it so cold.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Around 3500 last year. We have a programmable thermostat set to 56 at night then up to 62 for morning prep and afternoon family time. We have a 1000 sq foot ranch with the old aluminum windows and a new roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
62?! Jesus Christ you like it cold. I don't even set my house to that temp when I'm out. I have my thermostat st to 72 when I'm home and 67 when I'm out.
56 is pretty chilly at night.

mines is 67 at night.

Programmable pulls down to 63 at 6am-4pm. In the morning, everyone is out the house under an hour out of bed anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island