Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,401,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
But then doesn't their 2% cap going forward work the same as our supposed "2% cap" here? Meaning that if at least 60% of the local voters in CA approve a budget of more than the 2% increase, the voting outcome overrides the cap?

We've seen how well that works here, LOL. I don't know about you but last year's school tax increase in my district was 5.3% . Yet the year over year STAR increase is limited to no more than 2%. Talk about Alice in Wonderland logic, LOL
Well we vote yes "for the kids".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,865,820 times
Well we voted no a few times and were outnumbered by over 1000 others for the other side so we stopped bothering. I feel like we're just enabling their "holding us hostage" by voting yes every year. I mean the teachers are good people, but their salaries are out of line, not to mention easily replaceable. When I went to school in this same district I'm sure it wasn't this crazy and we were still ranked up there then too.

What ever happened with the Garden City district and their no vote going through?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 AM

344 posts, read 717,182 times
Vig

Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 AM

730 posts, read 1,300,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Well we vote yes "for the kids".
Which at the same time is voting no "for the grandparents" (who will probably end up having to move away because the tax burden will outstrip their retirement income). I wonder how many of the parents who vote Yes on the school budgets will end up having to relocate off LI and away from said kids and the grandkids after they retire, purely because the (school) taxes are unaffordable on a senior's income. Ironic, I really do think. ;-) (echoes of Alanis there, LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: