Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times

Advertisements

You didn't really "cut the cord" because you're subscribing to another cable TV service.

I was expecting to read about more people like myself, who don't have a cablebox in their home and watch shows through the internet or HD antenna, for FREE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,663 times
I never realized how important tv is until i started reading this forum. I guess hobbies are dead or people have way to much time to kill.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM

68 posts, read 197,869 times
Someone who is from or affiliated with Cablevision knocked on my door at 7:10 this morning. By the time I opened the door, all that was there was a business card suggesting I call to get the best deal and that Cablevision wanted me back.

I think I'll stick with FIOS.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
Someone who is from or affiliated with Cablevision knocked on my door at 7:10 this morning. By the time I opened the door, all that was there was a business card suggesting I call to get the best deal and that Cablevision wanted me back.

I think I'll stick with FIOS.
Another thing I think people should be aware of are those people that go door to door peddling Fios and Cablevision. They are hired by the cable companies but don't directly work for them. They will offer you ridiculous deals and freebee's if you switch but you could end up getting duped. My parents were the unfortunate victim of one of these dupes. The guy came over to their house, sold them a triple play package with a free tablet for a ridiculous price.
Once their service was installed and they got their first bill it was a lot higher than the quote the salesman gave them. They called up Fios and complained about the bill but the operator told them they have NO such info about the deal they were offered. They also told them and me that these door to door peddlers are hired by Verizon and don't work for them directly. It is somewhat of a shady system to lure you into a contract. Once you call to complain about your rate they tell you that the guy that gave you the quote is no longer affiliated with them and the quote was not authorized.

The point is that if you are planning to switch, never accept the offer by the people that come to your door. Contact the cable company directly and place the order with a phone operator or do it online.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I was expecting to read about more people like myself, who don't have a cablebox in their home and watch shows through the internet or HD antenna, for FREE.
I do get most of my regular tv episodes online somewhere but when you have some free time and just want to unwind for the remainder of the night there are random shows on certain channels that you always look to. You can't find those shows online, at least not new content. Bravo, cooking channel, HGTV, NHL Network, live cnn. It also lets my wife and me spend some time in the same room after all the chaos of the day.

I did not have any success with an HD antenna here.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-19-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
You didn't really "cut the cord" because you're subscribing to another cable TV service.

You are right about the cord but aren't you just as tied to it for your high speed internet connection that allows you online streaming?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,170 times
does fios have hot spots?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Another thing I think people should be aware of are those people that go door to door peddling Fios and Cablevision. They are hired by the cable companies but don't directly work for them. They will offer you ridiculous deals and freebee's if you switch but you could end up getting duped. My parents were the unfortunate victim of one of these dupes. The guy came over to their house, sold them a triple play package with a free tablet for a ridiculous price.
Once their service was installed and they got their first bill it was a lot higher than the quote the salesman gave them. They called up Fios and complained about the bill but the operator told them they have NO such info about the deal they were offered. They also told them and me that these door to door peddlers are hired by Verizon and don't work for them directly. It is somewhat of a shady system to lure you into a contract. Once you call to complain about your rate they tell you that the guy that gave you the quote is no longer affiliated with them and the quote was not authorized.

The point is that if you are planning to switch, never accept the offer by the people that come to your door. Contact the cable company directly and place the order with a phone operator or do it online.
Never knew that....After Sandy they used to come to my house once a week for almost a year. I live in Rockaway. They rewired all the buildings in my co-op complex after Sandy hit. I finally switched to Fios last week (set everything up online) and so far so good. I'm getting 3x the Internet speed that I did with Time Warner, and all the movie channels for the same price. Ported my landline over to Fios too. I initially had Verizon for a landline, then ported over to TW, then ported back to Verizon for the triple play. Even the sound quality is better - I'm noticing that during Knicks games I can actually hear the players talking on the court, and my TV does not have the best speakers, but I rarely find myself putting the TV volume above 20. If I wanted the "live at the game" experience without turning on my surround sound, I usually would put the TV up to 30-35.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Love, love, love FiOS. I had Optimum for a while, but it was a year long nightmare with chronic problems. Also, their customer support was helpful on the couple of occasions I used it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,147 times
the day is coming where you'll be paying per bit of anything downloading to your home. its bs imho because the consumer has no tools to monitor actual usage or what is was. you use more data viewing that same site using HTTPS vs HTTP !

once Google proliferates you'll think fios was crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island