Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 AM

59 posts, read 128,830 times

Advertisements

Definitely check out the various areas that make up the school district because they do feel very different from one another. The area by the train station feels the most "congested," meaning smaller houses and lots and quite a few apt/condo/coop buildings. Estates section is lovely, but probably out of your price range. There are probably some houses in East Hills which will be in your budget. East Hills has a really nice pool/rec center. If you're in the Village, make sure you factor in the additional tax.

It's definitely a nice area with a cute downtown/main street strip but there are some things to consider. Although Roslyn has decent parking at the train station, that line is not the best (Oyster Bay). It's about a 50 commute on the train to Penn and the trains don't run as frequently as you may need them to.

There's also another section of Roslyn Heights south of the LIE/Northern State but that area is zoned for East Williston schools. That section of RH is very nice but separate from the "main" Roslyn village (about a 3-5 minute drive up Roslyn Rd.).

The school district has a good reputation. There are a few elementary schools so I would consider that when deciding where to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
The taxes in Roslyn are just as high but you get more bang for your housing buck IMO. !
really trying not sound like a hater but that sentence just sounds odd. The taxes on Roslyn scares me. I know an old family friend who is retired who pays about 40k in real estate taxes....no its not a mega mansion either.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Anyone know why taxes are insanely high compared to neighboring great neck/manhasset/port washington?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM

16 posts, read 40,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw80 View Post
The fact that Roslyn LIRR station has plenty of parking space (as mentioned by Tomais) is a big plus since we both will commute to work by LIRR.
The reason there's lots of parking, though, is that the trains to and from there run far less frequently than what you'd get with the Port Washington line or if you were to commute out of a Mineola-type place. So something to look into if your work schedules can't fit with the Roslyn train schedule. Maybe Tomais can elaborate but when I was exploring Roslyn, I wasn't able to figure out how one can get reliable parking at a Port Washington line station as a non-resident of Port Washington or Manhasset. Someone on this board pointed out to me, though, that there is non-resident paid parking in Little Neck and Douglaston.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsanity View Post
. Maybe Tomais can elaborate but when I was exploring Roslyn, I wasn't able to figure out how one can get reliable parking at a Port Washington line station as a non-resident of Port Washington or Manhasset. Someone on this board pointed out to me, though, that there is non-resident paid parking in Little Neck and Douglaston.
you can park in other areas like PW or Manhasset....its comes down to the bucks.

Roslyn lirr isn't much to rave about. I know people from Roslyn who travels west to avoid that train line.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Anyone know why taxes are insanely high compared to neighboring great neck/manhasset/port washington?
Commercial base and density? I would presume GN and Manhasset are somewhat helped by the large hospitals, medical offices and shopping malls. And GN seems to have more houses and residents per sqft.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM

hospitals don't contribute to the town taxes.

As thomais noted, there seems to be decent amount of commercial base in Roslyn.

GN has quite a handful of apartment complexes which helps the tax base I presume.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeber01 View Post
Definitely check out the various areas that make up the school district because they do feel very different from one another. The area by the train station feels the most "congested," meaning smaller houses and lots and quite a few apt/condo/coop buildings. Estates section is lovely, but probably out of your price range. There are probably some houses in East Hills which will be in your budget. East Hills has a really nice pool/rec center. If you're in the Village, make sure you factor in the additional tax.

It's definitely a nice area with a cute downtown/main street strip but there are some things to consider. Although Roslyn has decent parking at the train station, that line is not the best (Oyster Bay). It's about a 50 commute on the train to Penn and the trains don't run as frequently as you may need them to.

There's also another section of Roslyn Heights south of the LIE/Northern State but that area is zoned for East Williston schools. That section of RH is very nice but separate from the "main" Roslyn village (about a 3-5 minute drive up Roslyn Rd.).

The school district has a good reputation. There are a few elementary schools so I would consider that when deciding where to buy.
Whoa- the train to Penn from Roslyn is about as long as from Cold Spring Harbor? That's crazy. I would have figured it was a much shorter ride.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM

131 posts, read 332,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
really trying not sound like a hater but that sentence just sounds odd. The taxes on Roslyn scares me. I know an old family friend who is retired who pays about 40k in real estate taxes....no its not a mega mansion either.

What I meant for more bang for your buck is that a $1mm house in Rolsyn would sell for $1.5mm (or more) in Manhasset and 1.25mm (or more) in Garden City with an equivalent property size. This is because Manhasset and Garden City have better commutes and their school districts are more uniformly affluent. Now prop taxes are about 30-40% higher in Roslyn than Manhasset and at the same level or maybe even slightly lower than Garden City. Garden City just offers more in services than either Manhasset or Roslyn. I guess it all evens out depending on what you value most (commute, services, etc.)

If your friend is paying $40K in prop taxes in Roslyn his home must be at least 4K sq ft which is quite large and on a very nice piece of property. "Normal" Roslyn prop taxes are around 20K or low 20s depending on what part of Roslyn you live in.

Last edited by Tomais; 03-20-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM

131 posts, read 332,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think its because Roslyn schools offer more than Port schools and Manhasset has a higher commercial tax base. All three are excellent schools though with Roslyn/Manhasset a notch above Port. Can't go wrong in any of them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island