Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I know the area well. No matter what the schematic states, it will not connect to Planters Ln. Planters is too far west of the old theater site and it is right behind the Avalon complex. Farmers Rd/Ln is one guys driveway and not a proper street. It is protected by a buffer zone. I suspect that besides the two outlets (one being route 112 and the other being middle country), they will probably connect it backwards for a 3rd outlet towards Pauls Path.
Farmers is a paper road. That someone chose to use it as their driveway doesn't make it any less of a road. A road has to be formally abandoned which costs at least several thousand dollars, and effectively splits the property with all parcels touching it.

The fact that this connector is mentioned leads me to believe that the alternate access to MCR was required to advance the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
As part of $91 million in awards, Governor Andrew Cuomo recently announced to build affordable housing and revitalize communities, New York State Homes and Community Renewal (“HCR”) approved $1,154,390 of federal tax credits and $984,718 of state tax credits for Wincoram Commons. The financing from HCR will leverage nearly $20 million in private equity. Suffolk County will present a resolution to the Legislature requesting $1.5 million from its Infrastructure Improvements for Workforce Housing Capital program. New York State Empire State Development (“ESD”) committed $1 million from the Regional Council capital program. Another $500,000 loan from CDCLI Funding Corporation, using capital received from NeighborWorks® America rounds out the funding.*Darryl C. Towns, Commissioner/CEO of HCR said, “HCR is bringing a variety of state resources together, working with public and private partners to create and preserve affordable housing. HCR is proud to be part of Wincoram Commons, an outstanding example of mixed-use, sustainable development that will enhance quality of life in Coram. ...............“Wincoram Commons is a great example of the public sector and the private sector working together to promote economic development,” said County Executive Bellone. “This development will provide much needed housing opportunities for Long Island residents and redevelops a blighted site in Coram using green and sustainable building practices which serve as a win for the residents, tenants and the Coram community at large.”The 17.65 acre UA Coram Movie Theater site has been a monument to blight in the Coram community since it closed in 2004. The existing structure is vacant and in severe disrepair and will be demolished to be replaced with new construction. The result will be a mixed-use development featuring 176 workforce rental housing units with gateway retail on Route 112 and main street retail totaling 13,300 square feet.*The total project cost is estimated to be $53 million, a significant investment in the Coram community that will leverage public dollars with private investment.* It is anticipated the project will create 145 construction phase jobs and also create and support 34 permanent jobs.*Phase I will include 98 rentals (34 one-bedrooms, 50 two bedrooms, 14 three bedrooms) as well as 7,300 square feet of retail space; offsite sewer treatment, wetlands remediation, the connector road, community building, public plaza and a play ground. The cost for Phase I is just over $33 million. Phase II includes the balance of the housing and open green space. Phase III is the gateway retail of 6,000 square feet.The project will be designed and constructed using green building and sustainable community practices.* The intent is to provide a convenient town center with retail that will support the needs of the surrounding community and be a very attractive destination to shop for area residents. The Coram Civic Association, which has been very active in the planning of the project, named the development “Wincoram Commons” at it membership meeting held in June 2012.“This is a difficult to develop site, as evidenced by the blight that has existed here for ten years, but thanks to the unwavering support of all levels of government and the tenacity of the Coram Civic Association, we have a fully funded mixed use hamlet center, that reflects the vision of the community,” said Marianne Garvin, President/CEO of CDCLI. “We look forward to the groundbreaking.”The redevelopment leverages many community benefits that include access to an offsite sewer treatment plant and a connector road extending Skips Road from Route 112 to Route 25.* This will ease traffic congestion at the intersection of Route 25 and Route 112. The redevelopment will also include a bike path and sidewalks that will connect the project to the existing Avalon at Charles Pond community located to the west off Route 25, allowing residents easy “walk-able” access to the retail business located in the new development. In addition, a two acre parcel on the site will be preserved in its natural state...
Looks like that connector will swing around behind the houses north of Farmer.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Eastern queens Li looks more and more disgusting on google earth everyday
somebody buy our house so we can more to a place that dosin't build the same thing over and over!!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Eastern queens Li looks more and more disgusting on google earth everyday
somebody buy our house so we can more to a place that dosin't build the same thing over and over!!
Does Mommy know you're up past your bedtime?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Farmers is a paper road. That someone chose to use it as their driveway doesn't make it any less of a road. A road has to be formally abandoned which costs at least several thousand dollars, and effectively splits the property with all parcels touching it.

The fact that this connector is mentioned leads me to believe that the alternate access to MCR was required to advance the plan.
If you take Planters to the end it dead ends by the woods behind the Avalon complex. At the end of Planters there is a driveway that leads to house #8 Farmers. What they show on maps or schematics is wrong. It is a driveway and nothing else. Feel free to check it out some time. I have worked in and around this area for years. It is not an abandoned road. It is the original driveway for this mans home. They would have to go north of this mans property and through the woods to create a new road and it would border the edge of the pond and the back of the Avalon complex. I realize that they call it Farmers and originally I think they had all intentions of building other homes back there but the idea was abandoned and I think red tape came into play based on the natural buffer area. The road was supposed to be on the north west edge of Planters but it never happened because it would have had issues with Mooney Pond (the actual pond).

Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
If you take Planters to the end it dead ends by the woods behind the Avalon complex. At the end of Planters there is a driveway that leads to house #8 Farmers. What they show on maps or schematics is wrong. It is a driveway and nothing else. Feel free to check it out some time. I have worked in and around this area for years. It is not an abandoned road. It is the original driveway for this mans home. They would have to go north of this mans property and through the woods to create a new road and it would border the edge of the pond and the back of the Avalon complex. I realize that they call it Farmers and originally I think they had all intentions of building other homes back there but the idea was abandoned and I think red tape came into play based on the natural buffer area. The road was supposed to be on the north west edge of Planters but it never happened because it would have had issues with Mooney Pond (the actual pond).
I'm not trying to dispute what you've written, but the developer's plans I quoted state it will align with Farmers. There's a town paper road on my street; one of my neighbor's built a driveway on the town's property without abandoning it first. Town was putting in storm drains 2 years ago....guess where the storm drain went... It is quite possible 8 Farmers resident did the same.

The last property on Planters will see this access adjacent to it. It is possible the access will start out lined up with Farmers and then cut north around the houses. Reading the full scope of work, Wincoram is supposed to be connected to Avalon. There's a loop to the east of Avalon; I'm guessing thus is where Wincoram's back access will let out. Part of the plans calls for water remediation; there are several small ponds which are an issue for the project and Mooney isn't one.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times
Quote:
Could the reason its labeled farmers be due to that there was a farm there back in the 50's to the 80's?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
Could the reason its labeled farmers be due to that there was a farm there back in the 50's to the 80's?
Most of long island from coram and east was farm land for many years. It's just a coincidence that Farmers was what the road was named. When Planters was built, I think they were originally going to build a side street called Farmers but it never happened. Instead a guy had a house built set back off the road and retained the name Farmers even though there never was a formal road. It is just a narrow dirt driveway to his home.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm not trying to dispute what you've written, but the developer's plans I quoted state it will align with Farmers. There's a town paper road on my street; one of my neighbor's built a driveway on the town's property without abandoning it first. Town was putting in storm drains 2 years ago....guess where the storm drain went... It is quite possible 8 Farmers resident did the same.

The last property on Planters will see this access adjacent to it. It is possible the access will start out lined up with Farmers and then cut north around the houses. Reading the full scope of work, Wincoram is supposed to be connected to Avalon. There's a loop to the east of Avalon; I'm guessing thus is where Wincoram's back access will let out. Part of the plans calls for water remediation; there are several small ponds which are an issue for the project and Mooney isn't one.
It's funny that you mention the connection to Avalon/Charles Pond. The eastern part of the complex has a long stretch that hits the traffic light to the far east and there is alot of dead space. Wincoram can easily connect to this part if they go behind the Tile business.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM

163 posts, read 246,097 times
This is an interesting article about city planning and the effects it has on overpopulation, air quality, water quality, traffic, etc.. In particular, how some isolated facts can be distorted to give a false impression of the impacts development will have on a community. Just goes to show you that the developers are a powerful lobby with lots of campaign cash (and, um, bribes) for politicians

Over-Development & Poor Planning Are Adversely Impacting Our Water, Air and Quality Of Life | The Huntingtonian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island