U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 21,786 times

Advertisements

Hi we want a starter home in Hicksville and doing some research of the area.
We think this recent sale is a good sign of better things to come and also read Hicksville LIRR is getting a much needed makeover. We can't afford more than $400K and home insurance is easy to get since Hicksville is not in any of that area. Commute to city is also very easy from there too. We want to be near family also and hope that after we have kids and they are school age that we can sell and move to a home near there with better schools (8 yrs eta). With that said do you think that Hicksville is a good investment? thanks in advance for your input.

KKR to Invest in Broadway Mall | Business Wire
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM

9,301 posts, read 13,537,430 times
We did exactly that. We left after about 7 years for schools too and sold for slightly higher than we bought in '02. Because of the affordable pricing and taxes, there will always be buyers. It was a great first house (other than them being cold and drafty) and a good friendly town with a lot of stores nearby. Literally 5 minutes to get to LIRR every morning. Look south of Old Country Road in my opinion. They also have community pools that are free for residents which I miss. The mall at one point in the 90s had some empty storefronts but it had anchor stores like Ikea and Macys to keep customers around and now Target is doing well. Macys is already in makeover mode. I don't think it will ever fail.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,438,021 times
Your mistake is thinking that a home today is an investment. You certainly shouldn't overpay and you should be aware of anything that could take away from the value in the future, i.e., buying next to commercial property. But if you think that the sale of Broadway Mall is going to change it into Americana Manhasset, then think again.

Hicksville has been a solid, middle-class area for many years and it has become more diverse with the influx of immigrant groups. It's a perfectly fine place to live, but there's no reason to think that it will become anything more because the mall has new owners.

Buy your house as a place to live and focus on the daily conveniences that Hicksville has to offer (not to mention some great ethnic restaurants). If you sell it at a profit down the road, consider it a pleasant surprise.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM

2,392 posts, read 3,535,381 times
I really dont understand how the sale of the mall changes hicksville???

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM

7,702 posts, read 9,129,356 times
KKR? those guys loves to cost cut their way to profitability!!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 11,280,109 times
LOL. My exact thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I really dont understand how the sale of the mall changes hicksville???

Old 05-15-2014, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 21,786 times
I hope that area spruces up. Does anybody ever go to Sears anymore? AS per today'snew they will go out of business eventually it seems. That huge space they take up can definitely be used for other family friendly malls. I'm tired or heading to Roosevelt in crazy traffic...it'll be nice to have some big name storea along Broadway...

Sears: 'Burning cash,' closing stores - May. 15, 2014

Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 PM

9,301 posts, read 13,537,430 times
Tumbleweeds in that parking lot is about right. Being inside Sears is downright depressing. If it's not nearly empty, the older salespeople don't brighten up the mood either. It's about time they let it go, but what will go in its place? If you ask me, instead of retail maybe it should have a family entertainment attraction. It's a prime location - the mall is doing very well.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,681,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Tumbleweeds in that parking lot is about right. Being inside Sears is downright depressing. If it's not nearly empty, the older salespeople don't brighten up the mood either. It's about time they let it go, but what will go in its place? If you ask me, instead of retail maybe it should have a family entertainment attraction. It's a prime location - the mall is doing very well.
I believe at one time, that was the most profitable Sears store in the nation.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,681,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We did exactly that. Look south of Old Country Road in my opinion. They also have community pools that are free for residents which I miss. .
Definitely look South of Old Country Rd in Hix . when I lived there, the pools were free only for residents of Levitt homes. Don't know if that has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: