Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,505 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is from Long Island but has lived in Minnesota with me since August 2013
He is a musican and i'm into fashion (Eventually looking into going to LIM College for Fashion Merchandising.) so we both decieded that Long Island is the area we want to be in to open our oppurtunity. I am 20, he's 23, We have been living with my Mom and niether one of us has lived on our own, although I believe were both pretty responsible people. He recently found a decent paying Job on Long Island that starts May 1st, however im still looking I am currently working in Sales/Marketing/Office so i'm trying to find something similar.
We are planning on Roadtripping back with both our cars in about a month. (Yes, that means i have to fit most of my belonings in my car.)
What should I expect? I want an outsiders opinon on all this, just to know i'm not absolutley crazy for this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,535 times
The bad: expect extreme sticker shock in living costs.
The good: enjoy the great beaches after the brutal winter we've all suffered.

Oh, and don't expect a lot of politeness out here. Long Islanders are somewhat like Manhattanites. They like their privacy and aren't always that friendly, although they will come to your aid in a split second if you're in trouble. If you're not, don't be surprised when people cut you off and give you the finger in merging traffic.

On the other hand, you're not going to get anywhere near the same fashion merchandising opportunities in Minnesota. Manhattan is the place to be . . . or be near.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
So where do you intend to live once you are on Long Island?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 PM

413 posts, read 598,736 times
Expect shockingly difficult housing options and expect to bust your butts off to survive and as artists, ultimately to get jobs closer to Manhattan and move to the city where there is some vitality and vibrance. LI is the place to raise kids and shop at Target. It has it's moments but mostly it's a drag for people in their early 20's whereas Brooklyn and Queens with equal the struggle can be much much more fun and exciting. Either way, good to have a job upon arriving in NY (although housing would be key too) so take it one step at a time. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,555 times
One of the first things you can expect are some snarky answers on this thread.

Long Island is a big place, what area are you looking at?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 7,505 times
He's Orginally from Deer Park but we were thinking North Babylon, Melville, West babylon, Huntington, Islip, Terrace, Freeport, Massepequa, Lindenhurst, Commack, North Port, East northport, Kings Park, Smithtown, St. James, Port Jefferson

Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali763 View Post
My boyfriend is from Long Island but has lived in Minnesota with me since August 2013
He is a musican and i'm into fashion (Eventually looking into going to LIM College for Fashion Merchandising.) so we both decieded that Long Island is the area we want to be in to open our oppurtunity. I am 20, he's 23, We have been living with my Mom and niether one of us has lived on our own, although I believe were both pretty responsible people. He recently found a decent paying Job on Long Island that starts May 1st, however im still looking I am currently working in Sales/Marketing/Office so i'm trying to find something similar.
We are planning on Roadtripping back with both our cars in about a month. (Yes, that means i have to fit most of my belonings in my car.)
What should I expect? I want an outsiders opinon on all this, just to know i'm not absolutley crazy for this move.
If your bf is from LI, why not just ask him?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If your bf is from LI, why not just ask him?
See OP:

Quote:
I want an outsiders opinon on all this, just to know i'm not absolutley crazy for this move.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
See OP:
He would give her the best answer though, rather than a bunch of strangers. Confused what she is looking for us to tell her...

Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
He's Orginally from Deer Park but we were thinking North Babylon, Melville, West babylon, Huntington, Islip, Terrace, Freeport, Massepequa, Lindenhurst, Commack, North Port, East northport, Kings Park, Smithtown, St. James, Port Jefferson
That's a very wide range you have going on there! Freeport and Port Jefferson are 40 miles apart. What made you choose those specific neighborhoods? Have you looked into budgeting to see if you can afford the rents?

If you're able to afford it, I say why not? At your age, you can afford to take some risks-- you even have a job lined up. You're not like those annoying kids in the NYC forum who want to move to Manhattan with absolutely no job or family nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island