Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,007,547 times

Advertisements

A cat I've been feeding had four kittens in my home when I let her come in to eat. The mother cat is still mostly feral. I've looked online for shelters that might take them but that information is not online, mainly it's how to adopt. Are there any shelters anyone knows about in the Queens/Nassau border area? Does a place like Bideawee take kittens? Or any suggestions on finding them homes like through Craigslist or classified ads or other ways. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Try North Shore Animal League. Do NOT post them on Craigslist. Too many sickos out there looking for free animals for the wrong reasons. Try local veterinarians if NSAL isn't taking kittens. I'll ask my cat people if they know of anyone,

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
You are very kind to care for the mom and feed her. Nice person you are! How wonderful of you.

NO NO NO to Craigslist

Please try

Bobbi and the Strays - NY Pet Rescue & Adoption

Also try Valley Stream Cat Rescue http://fuzzcats.org/index.html

http://www.saveapetli.net/dogs-adopt...p#.UzDRKKWwhhA

Also try going in to your local petco and see what cat rescue program has cats for adoption at that Petco and try contacting them

Good luck

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM

486 posts, read 2,105,629 times
I agree with the above posters.........NO to Craigslist.

What about Last Hope in Wantagh...they have a very informative link of No Kill Shelters with phone numbers. They also have free Fix-A-Feral Program too.

I hope you find a nice place/home for them. Kudos to you for taking care of them and giving them shelter.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM

513 posts, read 833,377 times
Here's another good soul, works with a shelter to take pregnant strays home for a much better birth experience until time to seek adoption. Hundreds of people on at any given time watching them grow. I'm sure these little guys will find nice homes, unfortunately though, the problem is huge. Thank you for what you did, martinjsxx!

TheGhostbusterKittens

Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
I agree with the above posters.........NO to Craigslist.

What about Last Hope in Wantagh...they have a very informative link of No Kill Shelters with phone numbers. They also have free Fix-A-Feral Program too.

I hope you find a nice place/home for them. Kudos to you for taking care of them and giving them shelter.
Thanks for the info on Last Hope and to the other folks in this thread for suggestions. What I've seen is not encouraging. There are not many shelters and the ones that exist either don't take all animals or have a waiting list.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
A cat I've been feeding had four kittens in my home when I let her come in to eat. The mother cat is still mostly feral. I've looked online for shelters that might take them but that information is not online, mainly it's how to adopt. Are there any shelters anyone knows about in the Queens/Nassau border area? Does a place like Bideawee take kittens? Or any suggestions on finding them homes like through Craigslist or classified ads or other ways. Thanks for any suggestions.

Aww, that's so sweet

Not sure about what's on the border but North Shore and Bobby and the Strays would be my recommendations. If you can get the mother to go with you, they might be able to spay her for free or a nominal amount. They will take the kittens, as they are the easiest to adopt out. Just be sure they're old enough to leave their mother. Definitely stay away from Craigslist and avoid town shelters if possible. A lot of them are "kill" shelters but again, kittens are adopted out easily, and usually they adopt out 2 at a time to keep siblings together.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM

216 posts, read 443,330 times
I have heard that rescue groups will take the kittens with a donation since it costs them $$$ for food, shelter, vax and spay/neuter. IMO, if you get the vet stuff done before and offer a donation that would make it easier for them.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,378,231 times
Do you have any chinese resturants close by?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Aww, that's so sweet

Not sure about what's on the border but North Shore and Bobby and the Strays would be my recommendations. If you can get the mother to go with you, they might be able to spay her for free or a nominal amount. They will take the kittens, as they are the easiest to adopt out. Just be sure they're old enough to leave their mother. Definitely stay away from Craigslist and avoid town shelters if possible. A lot of them are "kill" shelters but again, kittens are adopted out easily, and usually they adopt out 2 at a time to keep siblings together.
Does it make a difference to the shelters that these are kittens from a feral cat and not a pet? The mother cat is not approachable when it is outside and it only has been coming in to eat in the cold weather. Over the weekend she came in then went under a couch and later gave birth. I consider the kittens strays even though they were born in my home. I guess they might not have survived if she had them outside with temperature in the 20s like the last couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island