Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We "non-Centerport moms" have a name for those moms. BUT I've found that it's a mix. I know both snobs AND wonderful, down to earth folks in all the towns.
Haha!!! These are actually moms I find to be very down-to-earth, relaxed types in general, aside from the whole Centerport thing! I got the sense that the Centerport vs the rest of HF issue was very polarizing. A good friend of mine is actually looking in HF and she is having the Centerport vs Greenlawn dilemma herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Haha!!! These are actually moms I find to be very down-to-earth, relaxed types in general, aside from the whole Centerport thing! I got the sense that the Centerport vs the rest of HF issue was very polarizing. A good friend of mine is actually looking in HF and she is having the Centerport vs Greenlawn dilemma herself.
I'm a bit of an elitist myself because I think I live in the best neighborhood in the district.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
What's your budget and what are your needs and wants? There is nothing wrong with Greenlawn, and to anyone who believes having a nice house on an ACRE in Greenlawn is something to look down upon, who cares what someone so ignorant thinks anyway?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-28-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:19 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Do you feel like the Centerport people have some snobbishness towards the non-Centerport people? I definitely got that vibe when I was looking. A lot of the moms in my son's school live in Centerport & when I mentioned that one of my favorite HF neighborhoods was the Longacre area, I was basically told that I didn't want that neighborhood; that if I was going to be in HF, then Centerport was the place to be. I'm sure those who live in Greenlawn/Huntington are very happy with their choice- but I wonder if they feel any of what I felt from the Centerport moms?
I haven't noticed that but that may be a sample-size issue.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
What's your budget and what are your needs and wants? There is nothing wrong with Greenlawn, and to anyone who believes having a nice house on an ACRE in Greenlawn is something to look down upon, who cares what someone so ignorant thinks anyway?
I'm not sure anyone thinks that.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I'm not sure anyone thinks that.
It's funny, I have never met anyone who lives in Centerport, who seems to have an issue with looking down on others who don't live in Centerport

Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM

33 posts, read 64,633 times
I live in Centerport because it's beautiful. I feel very lucky to be here because it's like coming home to an oasis. I used to live in Greenlawn, and for me, it is so much nicer here. It cost me a lot of money to be here and I think it was worth it. BUT there is an awful lot of looking down on other harborfields neighborhoods and Greenlawn usually takes the hit. As I mentioned in another post, I can say with some certainty that quite a few of my Centerport neighbors are elitists and clearly think they are better than people in certain other towns and a few say snippy things even about folks in the less expensive parts of Centerport (which are still quite pricey!). I've heard these comments myself on numerous occasions.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
Centerport's crowded and Greenlawn's old potato fields yield a lot of pesticide :-0

Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Centerport's crowded and Greenlawn's old potato fields yield a lot of pesticide :-0
And that whole pickle and cucumber issue!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 AM

33 posts, read 64,633 times
Bottom line IMHO: Centerport is beautiful with lots of water and boats all around, but snobby, and you'll be living on a tiny lot. Maybe even in a tiny house with few updates. No diversity AT ALL and neighbors WILL gossip about you. Greenlawn is somewhat less snobby but lacks the "seaside" feel, and you can get a bigger lot and more house and updates for the same money. It's also not big on diversity but is slightly more so than Centerport. Harborfields schools are desired by many. You could do a lot worse than ending up in either one of these places. Both are among the best LI has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island