Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Tell me -- is $57,636 a year enough for a district with 500 children entering pre-K?
Shoot, that wouldn't even cover the salaries of 2 pre-k teachers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:05 AM

31 posts, read 48,425 times
Hey here in Merrick there is no Pre-K, and we pay a boatload, a whole fleetload, of taxes. All for UPK statewide. This will be a serious help to those parents who struggle to make the time to either pick up kids after half a day, or pay for private day care. We are all in this together; its not us versus them, as so many on this board seem to appear to promote. Its a good investment in a better society.

Good quote from:

New York City faces huge task to expand full-day pre-K by the fall

"Efforts to provide free schooling to all 4-year-olds have gained momentum both locally and nationally, with President Barack Obama praising de Blasio and Cuomo this past week for their “major victory on early childhood education for middle-class families and those working to get into the middle class.”"

Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
I made no comment before about whether the city getting the lion's share of that money was right or wrong. Frankly, I do have a problem with how the city uses the funds it gets from the state for it's education and that they get so much more aid, yet it is my understanding that people in the city pay far less in "school tax" than we do - so I see that as a non-support of their own schools. LI has always paid out far more in taxes than we ever received back in aid. The remaining UPK monies after the city's share, is for the rest of the state - but only for a district that wants to start a program. Every other district isn't getting the money if they don't want to have a UPK or just can't do it now.

OhBeeHave - the monies would be used for districts that want to start up a UPK program, not to add to the amounts existing programs already receive. There is no mandate that a district has to do this right now, just like there is no mandate that a district offer full day K. Once districts have the money they have the right to decide how to use it, meaning who gets to participate. Not sure if the amount a district could get is based on their wealth factor or not, as many aids are.

Siphoning money from LI and NYS taxpayers to fund FT UPK in NYC is wrong when there are districts throughout the state which can NOT AFFORD TO OFFER FT K.

That's my point.

No matter how you try and paint it as 'who offers this, who decides that,' the bottom line is that it is creating educational inequity as well as a bigger financial burden on taxpayers who can not avail themselves of this program. If NYC is getting UPK -- and 90% of the funds from the state pool to boot -- then ALL districts should receive equal funding to do the same.

That working mother with young children who is struggling to pay rent in Suffolk, and can't afford pre-K -- are her children any less worthy of that same program as a mother of 2 in the projects?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
Hey here in Merrick there is no Pre-K, and we pay a boatload, a whole fleetload, of taxes. All for UPK statewide. This will be a serious help to those parents who struggle to make the time to either pick up kids after half a day, or pay for private day care. We are all in this together; its not us versus them, as so many on this board seem to appear to promote. Its a good investment in a better society.

Good quote from:

New York City faces huge task to expand full-day pre-K by the fall

"Efforts to provide free schooling to all 4-year-olds have gained momentum both locally and nationally, with President Barack Obama praising de Blasio and Cuomo this past week for their “major victory on early childhood education for middle-class families and those working to get into the middle class.”"

There are many middle class districts on LI which do not offer full time UPK and there are still districts which have had to ELIMINATE FT Kindergarten because of budget cuts.

You might feel all warm and fuzzy knowing kids in the city are going to get FT UPK at our expense, but where's your sympathy for the working middle class of LI and NYS whose children don't have full time K, let alone the ability to afford a pre-K program?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 48,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are many middle class districts on LI which do not offer full time UPK and there are still districts which have had to ELIMINATE FT Kindergarten because of budget cuts.

You might feel all warm and fuzzy knowing kids in the city are going to get FT UPK at our expense, but where's your sympathy for the working middle class of LI and NYS whose children don't have full time K, let alone the ability to afford a pre-K program?
I would assume that your district is not going to eliminate whatever K program you have, and now you will also have full day pre-K. Various lawmakers are also calling for the state to fund full day K programs as well as part of the budget talks. Clearly, this would benefit us all. The direct effect on taxes is to be determined, and who knows how exactly the state will pay for it all at this point.

You can't however, deny the fact that for the kids this is great, and maybe even for you. Personally, I would have loved to pay a little more in taxes every year, which is a tax benefit, rather than pay for pre-K out of pocket which is costing me THOUSANDS.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I would assume that your district is not going to eliminate whatever K program you have, and now you will also have full day pre-K. Various lawmakers are also calling for the state to fund full day K programs as well as part of the budget talks. Clearly, this would benefit us all. The direct effect on taxes is to be determined, and who knows how exactly the state will pay for it all at this point.

You can't however, deny the fact that for the kids this is great, and maybe even for you. Personally, I would have loved to pay a little more in taxes every year, which is a tax benefit, rather than pay for pre-K out of pocket which is costing me THOUSANDS.

When 90% of the budget is going exclusively to NYC, the paltry amount left over means districts which currently have UPK + those considering adding it = fighting for crumbs. This isn't about it being great for the subset of children who will benefit by it; this is about Cuomo & DeBlasio's largesse on our dime.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
Quote:

I just registered my son for half day K which is all my district offers. My issue is this-- you can't ask the kids to do first grade work in K and then send them to school for 2 hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island